The computer thread

Well, I'm in the middle of a big computer rework too. Things were just OK, my daughter using a netbook with USB to ethernet dongle plugged into a mesh router just giving her enough speed for school. I was using an ancient i3 Dell for myself. My "big" laptop, a Dell A12, is sitting idle because of a couple of unresolved issues.

So the i3 develops a single green line across the screen. Didn't want to buy a new one because of the lemon the A12 turned out to be. Found a non-working Lenovo for $60 online classifieds that the countless refurbishers had not picked up. Found it had a bad brick, $10 got me a new one.

Now it's running, much faster than the i3 despite only being a Celeron. Has a weakness, @#$& Lenovo both whitelisted the BIOS and never issued Win 10 compatible drivers for the wifi card. Have it working OK though with the default Windows driver plus a Lenovo Bluetooth driver for a different card.

Last edited:
Here's a computer desk I built from some Planet 10 Frugel-Horns (little Perreaux amps have been replaced by a Crown D75A mounted to the bottom of the desk)

522129d1451526325-construction-frugalhorn-leghorn-deskdone-jpg

And the computer, also slightly different than when this pic was taken, now running 2080Ti video card and all the M.2 slots are now filled

Attachments

• RVIEO-1.jpg
    RVIEO-1.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 165
Got an email issue.
I can access my email through the Virgin website.
But my i-phone says connection error and on my PC, Outlook says TCP/IP error.

Is this something I need Virgin to sort?
Customer service wait times are up to 1hr which is why I ask.
Or do I wait for the problem to go away?

It's back on.
Off since yesterday and Virgin website doesn't recognise this as a possible fault - there is no help page for this and no fault showing on the 'check your service' page. Although evidently I might have some missing TV channels for a couple of days.
I'm really glad I didn't have to hold on the phone for 1hr waiting for help. A modern day Hell!

And the computer, also slightly different than when this pic was taken, now running 2080Ti video card and all the M.2 slots are now filled

Lookin' good there, very nice hardline loop!

M.2 is the biggest improvement in computers since going from IDE to SATA interface IMO.

I've ordered a ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2 which has 4 M.2 slots, and also 4 Kingston A2000 1TB drives. 1TB is nothing these days, I can't work efficiently when there's a host of folders spread all over several drives. Will be nice to have everything on a single 4TB raid, 4TB on a single drive is crazy expensive! About half price to get this combo.

Edit:
*sigh*... Just saw that the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 card is delayed, was expecting it to ship around now, but it's expected in storage 3rd of June all of a sudden...

Last edited:
Spoke too soon about Virgin email working again.
It's hit & miss.
Seems they have a history of such issues but nothing currently reported.
Probably because everyone is put off reporting due to long hold times.

I had similar issues around 6 months ago with Outlook where I would send/receive half a dozen times before being successful.

Obviously not a settings issue or it wouldn't work at all.

Google found me the online problem reporting page so we'll see how long they take.

Anyone got any tips for printing pdfs?
Taking an age.
Tried 'let the printer determine colours' and 'print as image'.
The only suggestions from Google.

First few pages of first document print fine then it slows to a crawl - one line at a time.
Subsequent documents start slow.
Epson XP-760, Windows 10.

you could also try this before installing new software...

Print your file as an image
Open the pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

In Adobe Acrobat Reader window, click on “File” on the menu-bar and then click on “Print“. ... Then what you need to do is to check the option “Print As Image“.

Thanks.
Currently using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC; already using 'print as image'.
I'll try one of the alternative readers. It'll have to wait til I next want to print a big file otherwise I won't know if it works.

Printing text & photos, club magazine. 60 sides split into 12 page documents. Took a full evening to print.
I can't really leave printer unattended as during the print run I will have to reset cartridges at least twice. That's chipped cartridges for you. Running a continuous ink system, otherwise, with the price of cartridges you wouldn't really want to use it!

I suspect I'm on a hiding to nothing.
Adobe say use 'postscript printing' if your printer supports it.
I believe home printers don't.

Maybe I should print a few pages at a time and perform a power cycle between prints to clear the printer memory. As I said, I'l get maybe 4 quick pages before it gets slower & slower.