Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Yet another basic question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #21
wintermute is online now wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Is Google being lazy?
No it is not. landing at diyAudio and asking how to do something rather than reading all of the stuff you found first and trying to work it out for yourself before asking any questions is being lazy

Showing you have done a bit of research and asking a question because you are unsure of things is much more likely to get you somewhere than just asking really basic stuff that someone who had done a bit of research would have already worked out.

Tony.
Old 29th January 2018, 11:18 AM   #22
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Do you use any other search engines? Why does no one want to answer this basic question?
Old 29th January 2018, 11:32 AM   #23
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I can honestly say I never use Google in day to day use, something for which I have my own reasons.

In times past you had only yourself to turn to, and that meant you learnt hard way, or perhaps more accurately you actually gained real knowledge that you could apply elsewhere.

There is no substitute for putting the hours in to understand and research something yourself and to learn by doing. Its an ongoing thing.

I see time and again on here in the 'help threads' with a typical answer that 'I've measured that, now what...' and done that, 'now what'. The theory and understanding isn't there to progress beyond following basic instructions. Of course there are exceptions to that.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #24
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looking for answers on this forum and you enter a minefield of subjectivity.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:21 PM   #25
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Nice to see all the regulars here.

I can't tell if there are more "basic" questions as a % of members. Presumably the membership is growing. I don't know.

What do you folks think the purpose of DIYAudio is, as decided by those who sponsor and maintain it? I am very interested.

I don't know. I can see what it actually does. It is a loosely organised chat room and vendor bazaar. It appears to be mainly sponsored by Pass Labs. It seems to be frequented by hobbyists and salespeople and technicians trying to fix products for their clients.

From my limited perspective it does not have the characteristics of a formal educational resource.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:31 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Looking for answers on this forum and you enter a minefield of subjectivity.
That is the nature of a forum and of all the places people looking for answers to their basic questions in this day and age can find themselves this is one of the best. I wonder why people come here with basic questions. So far it seems:
1) Lack of basic trustworthy formal education
2) Being directed here by Google (maybe other search engines too)
Old 29th January 2018, 12:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Matt, do you have an example of the sort of questions that vex you?

And what is the problem you are highlighting? What does it matter if people come to this forum with these questions?

Or are you making a general point about peoples' education levels or something like that?
Old 29th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Read my first post, it doesn't bother me, I'm interested as to why, and it does seem to have increased lately.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I have no idea. But it does remind me of how online help tends to work these days, in general. For example, GiffGaff mobile positively encourages customers to get help from its forum as the first port of call. Obviously, having volunteer support saves them money. It creates an expectation that it is ok to go straight to the forum and ask any old question. I see the same with Linux forums: it would be very hard to resolve some basic problems without human help unless you already had an education in the subject.

Perhaps this is becoming a wider social convention. A sort of "researching ADHD" ...if at first you don't find the answer just give up and ask someone in a chat room or forum.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:55 PM   #30
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe there have always been lurkers here, and some are starting to feel more comfortable with asking after they see others do it?

Yet another basic questionHide this!Advertise here!