Yet another basic question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is Google being lazy?

No it is not. landing at diyAudio and asking how to do something rather than reading all of the stuff you found first and trying to work it out for yourself before asking any questions is being lazy :)

Showing you have done a bit of research and asking a question because you are unsure of things is much more likely to get you somewhere than just asking really basic stuff that someone who had done a bit of research would have already worked out.

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can honestly say I never use Google in day to day use, something for which I have my own reasons.

In times past you had only yourself to turn to, and that meant you learnt hard way, or perhaps more accurately you actually gained real knowledge that you could apply elsewhere.

There is no substitute for putting the hours in to understand and research something yourself and to learn by doing. Its an ongoing thing.

I see time and again on here in the 'help threads' with a typical answer that 'I've measured that, now what...' and done that, 'now what'. The theory and understanding isn't there to progress beyond following basic instructions. Of course there are exceptions to that.

Nice to see all the regulars here.

I can't tell if there are more "basic" questions as a % of members. Presumably the membership is growing. I don't know.

What do you folks think the purpose of DIYAudio is, as decided by those who sponsor and maintain it? I am very interested.

I don't know. I can see what it actually does. It is a loosely organised chat room and vendor bazaar. It appears to be mainly sponsored by Pass Labs. It seems to be frequented by hobbyists and salespeople and technicians trying to fix products for their clients.

From my limited perspective it does not have the characteristics of a formal educational resource.

Looking for answers on this forum and you enter a minefield of subjectivity.
That is the nature of a forum and of all the places people looking for answers to their basic questions in this day and age can find themselves this is one of the best. I wonder why people come here with basic questions. So far it seems:
1) Lack of basic trustworthy formal education
2) Being directed here by Google (maybe other search engines too)

Matt, do you have an example of the sort of questions that vex you?

And what is the problem you are highlighting? What does it matter if people come to this forum with these questions?

Or are you making a general point about peoples' education levels or something like that?

I have no idea. But it does remind me of how online help tends to work these days, in general. For example, GiffGaff mobile positively encourages customers to get help from its forum as the first port of call. Obviously, having volunteer support saves them money. It creates an expectation that it is ok to go straight to the forum and ask any old question. I see the same with Linux forums: it would be very hard to resolve some basic problems without human help unless you already had an education in the subject.

Perhaps this is becoming a wider social convention. A sort of "researching ADHD" :)...if at first you don't find the answer just give up and ask someone in a chat room or forum.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Nice to see all the regulars here.

I can't tell if there are more "basic" questions as a % of members. Presumably the membership is growing. I don't know.

What do you folks think the purpose of DIYAudio is, as decided by those who sponsor and maintain it? I am very interested.

I don't know. I can see what it actually does. It is a loosely organised chat room and vendor bazaar. It appears to be mainly sponsored by Pass Labs. It seems to be frequented by hobbyists and salespeople and technicians trying to fix products for their clients.

From my limited perspective it does not have the characteristics of a formal educational resource.

It is kind of odd isn't it in the realm of the internet today. There is lots of chitter chatter in every single thread which when combined with the limited knowledge resources available to new users because of the broken default search engine it seems like every new member is lost in that same sea of chitter chatter.

But I would take excessive chitter chatter and a hearty and welcoming community of kind people willing to discuss and part information in their spare time than a forum that is heavily biased towards a specific brand or vendor. Instead there are many vendors and many points of interest all trying to collaborate and discuss their pros and cons. A nice healthy beef stew of discussion.

And as far as theroretical discussions go there is an unbiased viewpoint towards most topics of discussion here, you can join here and ask a question and you will get a very well informed and researched answer most times from the dedicated experts who have made a life out of researching the topics and then there is although heated but well reserved and reasonably well moderated discussions on the other side of the coin involving unicorn or more pie in the sky thinking. A nice mix if you ask me. Provided its got a basis in science you won't be criticized for it.

Those parts of the form are doing just fine.

As you say it "does not have the characteristics of a formal educational resource." no. Its something far more better than that, it has a solid ground of members to grow from. The only thing which is missing is a well maintained and well contributed wiki with a big button on the front page which says "new members start here to begin learning."

The only problem with that idea is that a wiki is very hard to maintain and requires a sustained group effort over a long period of time to weed out the fiction from the facts.

Here's to another 20 years of good discussion, sharing pictures of our projects and good old bar talk. :cool:

Last edited:
...it seems like every new member is lost in that same sea of chitter chatter.
I'm largely in agreement with your positive comments in your post. The search engine is indeed pants. The wiki has received very little attention. What does this tell us about the intended purpose of the forum?
"Projects by fanatics for fanatics" is emotive hyperbole.
and "DIY Audio" is simply untrue. It's diy plus commercial audio. Or just "all things audio".

Last edited:
I can honestly say I never use Google in day to day use, something for which I have my own reasons.
People here say "Google it" or "Google is your friend". I've used Google almost exclusively for the last couple of years, it now feels like a bad marriage. We are both tired of each other and we just repeat the same old things or say what it is we think the other one wants to hear. It's hard to get it to tell me anything new, I'm bored of it, and I think it's bored with me, it doesn't want to help me anymore............ I need a new search engine

People here say "Google it" or "Google is your friend". I've used Google almost exclusively for the last couple of years, it now feels like a bad marriage. We are both tired of each other and we just repeat the same old things or say what it is we think the other one wants to hear. It's hard to get it to tell me anything new, I'm bored of it, and I think it's bored with me, it doesn't want to help me anymore............ I need a new search engine
What can't you find in Wikipedia?

Oh, I have a bunch of "basic questions" as I am learning here, however I refrain from asking them because they have been asked before. The problem with basic questions, from what I have noticed especially in the audio world, is that they typically get basic answers from a multitude of differing camps. Example would be proper cable shielding. Camp A says just braid the cable. Camp B says Connect shield at source & target. Camp C says A & B are wrong, Camp B creates an antenna, and you should only connect at source. Then there is Camp D that lather themselves up in a greasy substance & provide slithering answers. I bet if I Google some more, I will find a few more camps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.