The Aftermarket Repair Battle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin,
I think that's true, but most claim ignorance even though I later find something they had to have known about. I like it when they say, "I just checked to see if the power light came on". That is a sure sign of problems.

I'll buy anything as long as it is cheap enough and a quick check shows nothing I can't handle. I prefer original and not working to "fixed" any day. The only difference to that is when I know the seller. I got my Revox B261 tuner that way "working poorly". It needed a full alignment and has been super since then.

I bought a Luxman '02 system with a T-03 tuner, traded a tube amp for the set. The amp wasn't working, but they run stinking hot. I rebuilt both channels, then upgraded the amp, preamp and tuner (plus alignment). Now it's a great system. The tube amp was a Leak Stereo 20, so worth $1,000. But I wanted that Luxman setup since I first serviced one under warranty. Now I have that set - for my office upstairs. I'm considering a pair of PSB Stratus Silver speakers to go with it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
He is running a 5.1 surround system (six MB-3045 amps) using a 3D blue ray player as the primary source, he has a fancy 60 inch 3D TV. The other amps are scattered around the house in other systems.

He also has a pretty large number of Bogen PA amps that he has modified to run a single pair of KT-120, they deliver 100W each.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin,
That makes sense.

Bogen, that brings back memories! The very first amplifier I ever repaired was a CHA-75. It used four sweep tubes and delivered 75 wrms. I used it for years and finally sold it to someone who was an idiot.

Why was he an idiot? He bought the amp for his son who would blow out woofers (musical instrument speakers) because he was slapping the strings on his bass guitar. His dad tried to make me take the amp back, which I refused. I explained to him what his son was doing to cause the damage and suggested he buy a limiter. Other than that, the amp worked fine and survived the abuse. I had put in four brand new tubes for him when I sold it, Sylvania 6AV5's I think. They weren't cheap and I was damned if I was going to take back (now) used and abused tubes for a full refund. He even tried to make me pay for the dead woofers! Tall, skinny Englishman who was too cheap to be real. Last time I ever saw him (GREAT!!).

That amp sounded great. I used to bounce music off the bush out back about 200' away. It was louder on the street than in the back yard. You can guess how I know that. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.