The Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have heard the hum on and off for many years, mostly during evenings and nights although I can't really recall having heard it for the past couple of years or so, at first I thought the sound came from the outside but when opening the window to check it, or putting the ear against the wall, it was always dead silence.
The video link below is the one that comes closest to the sound heard, starts at 42 seconds, it is not a very steady frequency nor amplitude so any fans, motorboats, pumps, mains supply etc can be excluded, it's just that only 2%* of the population can hear it so it's hard to explain for the "non-invited" which I experienced some 9 years ago when I spoke with one neighbor who looked at me as if I was ding-ding.
So one night I went into the basement and switched the main mains power switch off which supplies the whole house but it didn't solve the hum mystery.
As far as me concerns I give no F*'s about it, it is just there, however, diving further into the matter one may encounter on a few "claims" of people committing suicide or going on killing spree etc., but imho nutters who say the hum drives them nuts probably have other issues too.

Taos Hum, Brummton Phänomen, Zurich-Switzerland
Youtube - Taos Hum, Brummton Phänomen, Zurich-Switzerland

* Mysterious Hum Driving People Around the World Crazy
The World Hum Map and Database Project - Director: Dr. Glen MacPherson

I thought the tinnitus is more or less permanent, the hum experience I had has been very seldom only for some short period during several years, often with long periods of no sound lasting from months to some year in between the occurrences, and appears only in the evening or at night time.
Although since a year ago I have gotten the classic high pitched single tone tinnitus but that one is constant or varying only little over long period of time and not coming only in the evening or night.
Also the hum doesn't resemble any of the typical low frequency types of tinnitus, they use to have a constant pace, rhythm or amplitude, the hum is very random sound only around ca 40-50 Hz, with no noise no high pitch or beating.
The hum doesn't fit int with the many explanations of tinnitus, below a few:
4 Types of Tinnitus | Audiology Associates of Arlington
Tinnitus - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic
Frequently asked questions | Low Frequency Noise | Acoustics Research Centre | School of Computing, Science & Engineering | University of Salford, Manchester

Youtube - British Tinnitus Association - Sounds of Tinnitus

Doesn't this from your first link describe it?

Low-frequency tinnitus: Perhaps the most confusing type of tinnitus because sufferers aren’t sure whether the sound is being produced internally or externally. Often, the tones correspond to the two lowest octaves on a piano and are described as a humming, murmuring, rumbling, or deep droning. This type of noise seems to affect people most strongly.

@MagicBus
I have experienced it on and off for over a decade, I don't know why it appears only some times, and when I have been in a period it has been lasting only for some weeks and then it can be quiet for a very long time, it's not constantly there, only very seldom.

@SJ
Yes I saw that, it's a sub-type, but to which super-type or set does it belong to and can it be only a very intermittent occurrence over a very long period?
Perhaps the hum is some type of tinnitus, in any way I never felt particularly annoyed by it.

Anyhow, new articles on the hum are all the time popping up, tinnitus is some times mentioned but not given as a definite reason behind the hum, then is it all just a psyop keeping sheeples busy with nonsense?
BBC - Future - The mystery noise driving the world mad
Have you heard 'the hum'? Mystery of Earth's low droning noise could now be solved | The Independent
The Earth really does a have a mysterious hum – but scientists still can't explain why | Metro News

It's a mystery. Everyone's tinnitus is unique, there are even instances of people hearing voices, and these people were/are often considered mad or schizophrenic. I think if no one else is hearing it, it's tinnitus. Other than that, low frequency sounds and their behaviour can be very strange indeed. I am glad you're not annoyed by it, that's the main thing.

I still feel that it is from national power networks.
They all run in sync or close to sync with frequencies of 50hz and 60hz mixing across national borders. There is a massive amount of energy radiated from power lines into the ground where it finds natural quartz and causes it to vibrate. The effect will add under hundreds of miles of power lines in many countries.
The power switches for these cables are well and truly out of reach to all involved. There is no practical way of turning it all off to find out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
There is no practical way of turning it all off to find out.

Maybe wait until the next blackout to see if the noise goes away.

Though it would take a lot to bring down a super high voltage transmission line.

Also if quartz is vibrating doesn't it produce its own resonant frequency? Can't you check for RF frequencies that the quartz itself is producing?

You would probably require a large cone shaped antenna and receiver LNB and point it down towards the ground with a small wideband antenna inside hooked up to a frequency analyzer or scope to find the frequency at which the quartz is resonating at.

Just saying, if quartz is vibrating because of the EM field of power lines then it should be giving off a frequency of its own.

Last edited:
I have heard the hum on and off for many years, mostly during evenings and nights although I can't really recall having heard it for the past couple of years or so, at first I thought the sound came from the outside but when opening the window to check it, or putting the ear against the wall, it was always dead silence.
The video link below is the one that comes closest to the sound heard, starts at 42 seconds, it is not a very steady frequency nor amplitude so any fans, motorboats, pumps, mains supply etc can be excluded, it's just that only 2%* of the population can hear it so it's hard to explain for the "non-invited" which I experienced some 9 years ago when I spoke with one neighbor who looked at me as if I was ding-ding.
So one night I went into the basement and switched the main mains power switch off which supplies the whole house but it didn't solve the hum mystery.
As far as me concerns I give no F*'s about it, it is just there, however, diving further into the matter one may encounter on a few "claims" of people committing suicide or going on killing spree etc., but imho nutters who say the hum drives them nuts probably have other issues too.

Taos Hum, Brummton Phänomen, Zurich-Switzerland
Youtube - Taos Hum, Brummton Phänomen, Zurich-Switzerland

* Mysterious Hum Driving People Around the World Crazy
The World Hum Map and Database Project - Director: Dr. Glen MacPherson

That sounds like the hum is propagated through the water pipe. :eek:

I have come across this phenomena during a leak in a municipal water feed which propagated through the water network and cause a similar noise in houses (that had pipe lengths resonating at the leak frequency I am guessing).

Only some people experienced this (hence above guess) for about three days until the leak was found and repaired. It was not water gushing out the ground and took some days to discover it.

The leak was a couple of km from where we live but a few neighbors mentioned hearing a drone but not necessarily living in close proximity of each other. My next door neighbors did not even know about it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.