Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Do your ears need to warm up too?
Do your ears need to warm up too?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 08:55 AM   #1
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Do your ears need to warm up too?

We all know your equipment needs to warm up (this is not open to discussion ) does this include your ears?

It app-ears to be a common phenomenon that we can get used to volume levels, and this can work both ways, turn the volume down and down late at night, and up and up at parties. Also our ears and brain get tired and need a rest.

I want to know whether you think there's more to it than that (and by "you" I mean you, not what some other bloke said in a book somewhere )
Old 13th January 2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Just my opinion, but I did tour as a sound man for a while. Hearing is like any other sense. That shower that feels WAY too hot when you step into it, but feels just fine a few moments later. Or a cold pool of water that feels less cold after you get in. the first sip of whiskey that seems intense. The blindingly bright sunshine when you first emerge from your cave. And so on. I start up the sound system, and it feels "too loud" initially. I need to listen a while - not a long while, but a while anyway - to get my ears used to hearing it.

it does work the other way too, but that comes up less often. After a gig, I am less involved with ambient music. So if it sounds low and thin, for a while, no big.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Of course, the older you get. The first sentence your wife speaks to you, you never hear. Only when she repeats it you do.

Maybe that is your automatic gain control, or some sort of squelch that has a long attack time.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:28 AM   #4
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Of course, the older you get. The first sentence your wife speaks to you, you never hear. Only when she repeats it you do.
OTOH, if you meet a gorgeous, beautiful woman at a party you clearly hear every single syllable she utters ;-)

I don't think it's the audio.

Jan
Old 13th January 2018, 10:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"Utters"? Sorry, for a moment there I thought you said something else......I was looking elsewhere
Old 13th January 2018, 10:49 AM   #6
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I say my wife's name before wasting time on a full sentence!

If you listen to orchestral music etc, then live listening gives a reference level. It's much louder than BBC Radio 3 expect you to listen.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
it does work the other way too, but that comes up less often. After a gig, I am less involved with ambient music. So if it sounds low and thin, for a while, no big.
That's a good point. Sometimes I can put some music on and it just doesn't sound right, like you say thin, or muffled even and I start to panic . What's happened to my fabulous system? It sounded ok the other day..........
Old 13th January 2018, 10:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAndyB View Post
I say my wife's name before wasting time on a full sentence!

If you listen to orchestral music etc, then live listening gives a reference level. It's much louder than BBC Radio 3 expect you to listen.
Does she extend you the same courtesy?

BBC Radio 3 annoys me with its level settings, you've just listened to a wonderful piece live or recorded it doesn't seem to matter that much, there is a slight delay....... Then the announcer starts shouting at you
Old 13th January 2018, 11:10 AM   #9
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Does she extend you the same courtesy?

BBC Radio 3 annoys me with its level settings, you've just listened to a wonderful piece live or recorded it doesn't seem to matter that much, there is a slight delay....... Then the announcer starts shouting at you
Even after 46 years she hasn't learned that one.

Agree about BBC R3.

Now off to hear a Harvard Professor of literature talk about Elgar, Longfellow and King Olaf. May just go over my head!

YouTube.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #10
korpberget is online now korpberget  Norway
diyAudio Member

Not the ears. The brain. And yes.

Do your ears need to warm up too?Hide this!Advertise here!