Snow anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On Christmas day, just a 2 hour drive east of my house, Erie Pennsylvania received a 53 inch (135cm) snowfall in about 18 hours, when all was said and done it was 60 inches. Meanwhile the ski area just 25 miles father east only got 32 inches. This was a Lake Effect snowstorm. When very cold air crosses a large lake with warm water and the wind is blowing fast but not too fast, Lake Effect storms can dump huge amounts of snow in localized areas.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Cold snap in Calgary. -31 ºC last night. Not a lot of snow, though. About 25 cm of accumulation in my backyard. Most of that fell about a week ago.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 119

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Folks in northern lands are sending their spare cold down here.

> I can't remember anything colder than about -27°C here

I hope -17F is very rare for Boston near the water.

I designed this heating system for -5F. I have open ocean/bay a mile both sides; here is 10F warmer than inland. That first winter we did touch -9F and indoor temps sagged.

Snow was called for 6-10" and barely made 6" (because the first dump was wet slop instead of powder). I blew and shoveled because we had kitchen cabinets coming. NaCl salt stopped working. Today I kept running outside to saw trim as temps fell toward 3F. Will be several below for the next few nights. That snow is not going anywhere.

It was -26C this AM here. Not much snow in the past few days, it tends not to snow much when it is below -10C and it has been daytime highs of ~-15C here for a while. We have got a couple inches in the past week or so, and road salt does very little at low temps, so the roads are pretty slippery - sensible highway road speeds cut nearly in half.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wow. Thank God for the Gulf stream and the Azores high ...Windy...

Here's what is happening to RonE and me and much of the lands along the Canada/US border. Someone left the door open to Hudson's Bay and all the Arctic is spilling out. Has been since Xmas and will continue past New Year. Not record-setting cold but setting records for length of a cold-spell.

Attachments

• Cold!.gif
    Cold!.gif
    359 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.