Do speakers have "soul"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Come to think of it a race tuned inline 4 bike engine with 4 into 1 exhaust might have a soul. Or a two stroke V twin.

(Audi is a magnificent car maker). Oops, a couple got embarrassed here YouTube

I remember in the 1970's when Yamaha brought out the RD250 and RD350.
They just went like stink. No wonder the British bike industry died off after that.

And what comes to loudspeakers, these have more soul and guts than any other system I have heard. Legis is my friend and we live in same town fortunately!

Legis' Horny Tales

Looks like most pictures in the thread are gone, this is an old one from another forum
xN-3Ty65bRSBbQgqxHh7hiuRxmA93-RjZCHjTNq3QZcYBcIx0n62FKk-j6kibLLQnwLFzvjDEVSsxQ=w1165-h777

All my old bikes have soul when you've owned em' as long as I have. Sold My Norton Dirt tracker my father built in 1970 after 45 years of ownership. This Rd has soul when pushed hard and it's tried to kill me more than once.

Attachments

• DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0203 (2).JPG
    DSC_0203 (2).JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 153
If the requirements of the speakers is their ability to kill someone maybe my speakers do qualify. :D They are huge, not at all lightweight and could tip over under bizarre conditions.

I do consider my previous daily driver to have soul, at least for me. An old '82 flat 6 911 with pré '73 type stainless exhaust. As sound also seems to be a requirement. It's recently been promoted to be my old-timer. If I can help it I'll have it until I die or pass it on to my son.

Do my speakers touch me in my heart? Yes they do. And they better should! As it has been a multiple year journey and an immense amount of time spend to get there. So to me they are gold. I bet anyone that has poured amounts of sweat, blood and even tears to build their own would think like that about their accomplishment.

If it's about character, I think my previous next door neighbour's Altec setup qualified in some parts. I actually tried to copy it's sweet, lush and seductive midrange qualities and purely speaking for myself, I think I succeeded.

Would anyone else agree? I don't know if that actually matters.

Last edited:
Friend of mine messed himself up real bad on a 125, the high piped version. May have been better off dead.

Lots of soul here. Putting to the 4 cylinder bikes.

To new to have soul. There getting better with each tweek.

Attachments

• 022_zps9a396511.jpg
    022_zps9a396511.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0323 (1).JPG
    DSC_0323 (1).JPG
    143 KB · Views: 157
How did I miss this thread? It must have been the title that threw me off.

I have a 2010 BMW 535i, M-sport trim, 300 HP stock and great handling, yet big enough to be practical - e.g unlike a 3 series, my hockey bag and sticks fit in the trunk.

Recently I did a Dinan level3 upgrade to the engine control software that increase HP to 396 and torque to 427.5 ft-lb., just with software! I don't know about soul but now there is a devil looking over my shoulder when I drive.

I did some ECU work on a Honda 600.
I took it out for a test run on a back road.
I thought I was doing about 60, looked down at speedo and it read 120mph !
I can see how people lose their licenses so easy on these super bikes.

Your right one little bleep on the throttle puts you illegal. Often I find myself speeding even while making some conscious effort not to. Look down and I'm 20 or 30 over.

Plus the temptation is greater on a bike and it does get intentional.

Depends what you mean by 'older'. Early M3 (the 4 pot nutter ones) had soul in so much as they would try and kill you if you took liberties with them.

The e30 won't try to kill you. They are very balanced cars and ahead of their time suspension wise. An e46 steering rack is almost bolt-on. You only have to limit the travel of the rack, so not much happened in the front suspension for 3 generations.

The e30 (including z3 and e36 compact) had a little more tail happy rear suspension then e36 and later models. I didn't find it scary, you can feel that you are approaching the limit long before you cross it.

I used to go for vacations to Nürburgring every summer when I had a 4-door e30 with Hartge 2.7l engine. All suspension parts was upgraded and the car had a beautiful balance. When I pushed it too fast through corners it would slide gently on all 4 wheels.
I had good fun outrunning E30 M3s with pregnant fenders in that car. :)

The last gruppe B race was held in, of all places, the Pacific Northwest of Washington state, and I was able to attend most sessions, priceless memories. I even rode my bike a couple miles over the a park to see one, almost hit a walking Walter Rohrl while riding across some grass, oops...

The cars that had soul that I recall were my Belgian made Opels, modified of course, the early Fiats, and Alfa’s all did pretty good too for returning the favor when driven.
That and the mid engined cars as well.

All the BMWs that I have driven all had a driving position best suited for someone much larger in diameter than me it seemed, with the steering wheel up like in a truck.

I like the 4-wheel drift story from the ring, pretty cool I’ll bet.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.