Please Don't Feed The Deer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Moose claim enough victims just a little bit north of us. Deer generally jump and end up through the windscreen. The meat is then all bloodshot and not much good for eating.

I like the comparison between deer and rabbits. They are very similar indeed.

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Moose claim enough victims...

My uncle’d rented Toyota after a moose encounter. He was pretty bruised and banged up too.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• MooseEncounter.jpg
    MooseEncounter.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 567

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
No wolves around here, the only natural predator of deer are cougars.

There's a 1967 XLR over in Blue Hill Maine.

Officially there have not been mountain lions (cougars, panthers) in Maine in about a century. There have been many suggestive sightings and pictures and carcass-marks, but no confirmation. This despite that we fly-over large swaths to count moose (just lost a plane that way). And no wolves. Both are threatened when there are men with livestock or who feed their family with deer.

We have coyotes, here in outer suburbia, many nights a year. It would be rare for coyotes to bring down a grown deer, but you know momma's gonna stomp and snort to protect the kids.

Deer are down here since the 1940s because they do not thrive in deep woods or on open farmland. In the period when farms were being abandoned we were filthy with deer and Maine deer hunting was a thing. It still is, but they are not like they were.

..bruised and banged up too....

He's dang lucky to be alive!! As you see, the belly of a moose is just above hood level.

Last edited:
I live in the English lake district.
The only places we tend to see deer is in the woods.
They are too nervous to venture into villages or towns.
I have come across them on walks and they just run off.

I once walked past a tree and was shocked to find a sleeping Fox.
I stamped my foot and he woke up and ran off.

In the country side I have got close to hitting deer.
One jumped over a wall right in front of my car.

I nearly hit another on my motorbike in the night time as it ran across the road.
I dread to think what would have happened had I hit it.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I like the comparison between deer and rabbits. ...

A sculptor friend was commissioned by a museum to do the dinosaur which was common in New Jersey, life-size.

I'm looking at this thing and realized-- it's a deer! Pure herbivore. About the body-bulk of a large deer. Legs and head put on different, tail like no deer ever, and plants were different species then. But I could see these things browsing on shrubbery. Filling the same large niche in the ecology of the time. And if there were roads, they would cross without looking, dumb as a deer.

Last edited:
When I lived in the south of UK there used to be quite a lot of deer.
I once went over a dead one in the road and it caused a fuel leak.
It was on a fast road and the rush hour traffic just hit the body many times until it was flat.
I have moved to an area where there is too much shooting for deer.
The pheasants here are even more stupid but they only roam in the day time. If you see them by the side of the road you have to look carefully. They usually stick there heads out just before they jump in front of your car. Good brakes and a loud horn usually do the job.

Deer are large rabbits. (You must know rabbits.) Pure herbivores, not built to rip you apart. But 200+ pounds and stupid.

Mostly they will spook away from people. In the wild they must avoid wolves, but most places killed all the wolves a century ago. Most of the deer too, but deer populations re-grow very fast. In suburban NJ, and a few places in Maine, NY, etc, deer are pests.

Some places they get acclimated and will stand around as long as the people stay in their place (porch), but move away if the people act unusual.

But they are unpredictable. Also semi-arrogant about guarding their children and establishing mating partners. Mother with kids may well snort, both to try to scare you off and to alert the kids they need to pay attention and be ready to flee. Horny buck will fight anything he can't mount.

I have not seen a deer stand-up to a person who walked toward the deer shouting and waving. If a few snorts doesn't deter approach, turn-and-run is easy enough. There ARE many cases of deer who attacked a human, generally provoked, sometimes stupidly (on both sides).

Moose are the same only bigger and rarer.

For most people, the big danger from deer and moose is highway accidents. A deer can do serious damage to car and occupants. A moose can decapitate the car and passengers, and sometimes walk away.

Thanks for the heads up.

A lot of deer - A lot of Foxes (north of the Wash DC area).
They both get bolder and closer to the house. The fox out back stands there and barks at me, maybe he wants me to feed him??
A good reason not to feed wildlife.

This pic was last year...this year we are seeing a lot of fawns.

*the shadow is the house roof line

Attachments

• TEMP02.png
    TEMP02.png
    800.3 KB · Views: 174
I live in the English lake district.
The only places we tend to see deer is in the woods.
They are too nervous to venture into villages or towns.
I have come across them on walks and they just run off.

I once walked past a tree and was shocked to find a sleeping Fox.
I stamped my foot and he woke up and ran off.

In the country side I have got close to hitting deer.
One jumped over a wall right in front of my car.

I nearly hit another on my motorbike in the night time as it ran across the road.
I dread to think what would have happened had I hit it.

Haha that's the UK for you...

I live in the heart of England, in the middle of a city, and I see Muntjac quite often, foraging around bins.

I dont see them in forests, they have much better camouflage and hearing than I!

Migrating Canadian Geese have become permanent residences of TN. They favor ponds over rivers and streams.

Rabbits, Racoons, Possum, Deer, they all visit me well inside the city limit.

Brown Bear have been seen in downtown Johnson City and other neighboring cities on occasion.

As far as shooting deer off the back porch goes, No in the city (no discharging of firearms within city limits), yes in the county. As long as you do not shoot across a public road, or within 100' of a house without permission of the owner.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a great shot!

We had one that jumped through the plate glass window of the pub in town. Then it jumped back out and was never seen again. He cut himself, but it wasn't a very serious cut and he escaped back out into the forested area around here.

-Chris

Eating good in the neighborhood

"Doo, doo, doo, looking out my back door" Piebalds, turkeys, etc... we got 'em

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Piebald.jpg
    Piebald.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 85
  • hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 15894632_1305826569440360_4097613358594430266_n.jpg
    15894632_1305826569440360_4097613358594430266_n.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.