HELP me stop smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For what it's worth, the only people I've known that have successfully kicked the smoking habit have done it cold turkey. I can't say if it was the willingness to go through the discomfort and the investment of that commitment which causes the success or something else but the differences are stark. Everyone I've known that tried to cut down to stop has gone back to smoking, often with an even more hardened habit.

For what it's worth, I stopped 2 1/2 yrs ago now. I did try vaping at first but there is something else than just nicotine in tobacco, and didn't enjoy so after 3-4 weeks went 'cold turkey'. It is actually more tempting to me now than it was 6, 12,24 months ago. The temptation kicks in about once a month. Thankfully there are still enough people about still smoking that I smell it and really hate it :) :) A friend who gave up 30ish yrs ago says he still gets the temptation, so yes it's not that easy.

I put a comment on the site listed in post#62.
If I am in a building where smoking is banned I can just stick my head out of the door for a couple or drags on an E-cig without having to mess about lighting one of those outdated cancer sticks.
It stops the coughing and makes life a lot easier.

The unfortunate thing about addictions, such as nicotine addictions, is that they cause synapses in your brain to reconfigure. Suddenly, external cues (time of day, time elapsed since the last "fix", environment, people you're with, etc.) will start the cravings. So the best way to quit is to make sure you don't expose yourself to those external trigger cues. Move to a new town, get a new job, get new friends... Or in lieu of that, quit cold turkey. Or quit next time you go on vacation.

Of course, that's easy for me to say. I never took up smoking and don't regret that even one bit. Both my parents smoked. My mom quit before I turned two. My dad quit when I was about six. I have fond memories of the pipe smoke in his office. That's a good smell. I'm glad he quit, though. That's probably a contributing factor to why he's still alive.

My addiction is caffeine. At least that only impacts me and doesn't cause lung cancer (that I know of). I am working to reduce my caffeine intake, though. I suspect I'll sleep better with a lower caffeine intake.

Duhigg, C. (2012). The power of habit: Why we do what we do in life and business. It's a bit repetitive, but it may be helpful in understanding why we have the habits we do.

Tom

Last edited:
Any competent hypnotherapist will stop you smoking overnight - the big problem that follows is the resultant 'withdrawal symptoms' - that takes some thought and effort plus some post-hypnotic suggestions

I went this way from about a packet a day of high nicotine content to zero after 3 sessions with a hypnotherapist - very effective indeed - the 'patches' weren't available then so the after effects of suddenly 'no nicotine' were pretty awful and it took a couple of months to be free of them but I never smoked again and my health improved dramatically and I took up competition squash at 40 years old!

Curiously, I'm drawn like a magnet towards anyone who lights up a pipe, even after quitting cigarettes for nearly 30 years - I just love the smell of it, especially that Amphora brand!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.