HELP me stop smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sort of quit by accident. One weekend I was out of smokes and didn't have any cash. I could have used my debit card but decided to save a service charge and wait a day. By the time I was craving a cigarette the corner store was closed. The next day I couldn't believe how badly I wanted to smoke, and that started to annoy me, so I thought OK, I can surely just not smoke today. It was bad but I got stubborn, and angry. How could this substance exert such control over me??? I kind of nurtured the anger, and each day when the craving got bad I silently said "F*** you, tobacco! I can go another day!". I also resolved that I would NOT stop the things I most associated with smoking, like coffee and beer. It was hard enough quitting one thing without quitting caffeine and alcohol at the same time!

I never, at least for the first few weeks, said I was quitting. That would be too permanent and daunting. Instead I just resolved each day to not smoke that day. After a while it seemed like I was getting some momentum, so I decided to reward myself; after all, one of the good reasons to quit is that smoking has become so expensive, and after a couple of weeks I could tot up how much I hadn't spent on cigarettes. I resolved to switch to a better brand of whisky as a reward, and in fact sometimes in the evening when the cravings really set in I poured myself a large drink of scotch as a reward (and analgesic). For me it helped, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for everyone.

Hang in there and don't let it control you!

:) Help me stop smoking!

I am tired of this bad habit. But it's kindoff hard to stop (I think)... Been years since i last tried quitting btw.

I am not going the cigarette substitute way like those battery-powered electronic cigarette - No way :)

Whats a good solution ? Any trick's ?
Howto do this ?

Really need a carrot for doing this...

Thanx all!

Jesper.,

Get someone else to buy your fags and get them to ration them to you. I've tried this with someone I know and their consumption has gone down from a pack every two days to a pack every week.

Half the problem is having easy access to the fags and poor self control. Once you put the control in someone else's hands then it forces you to be more conservative with your habit. Because of the rationing eventually you'll be able to kick the habit altogether.

Until all governments ban this evil and vial product then more people will get addicted unfortunately.

hope this helps
cheers

I bought an E-cig starter kit and tried it with the bottle of liquid that came with it. It lasted as long as a packet of tobacco costing twice as much money.
I used the tobacco as a treat from time to time and never bought any more. It just slowly ran out.
I now do not have a dusty ash tray on my desk and when I am outside there is no longer all that trouble with the wind doubling each time I try to use a lighter or match.
It has worked well for me and lots less coughing. My doctor was very pleased too.

These things worked for me......eventually

1) I asked doctor if he could help, he said "why do you want to stop?"

2) I thought to myself, I can do one of the most positive things in my life by doing nothing at all.

3) Don't give up giving up, have a cigarette if you want, don't think that means you've failed

Number 3 is really important. We all know someone on a diet who ate one cookie, felt like they had failed and then ate the lot. If cookies weren't forbidden, they would only have had one cookie

Brian

Long time smoker.. 45 yrs.. Started leaving the cigs in the car. While in the car, put them in the trunk.. Quit smoking in the house. Suked in the winter.. LOL.. Made them difficult to get to and unpleasant to smoke..

Bought an E-Cig. Made it my "Binkie".. Used the Binkie when I had an urge until I just couldn't stand it any longer! (Still had the cigs hard to get to) Over time, I found myself smoking less cigs and using my Binkie more and more..

Been over 5 yrs. since I had a smoke and I don't miss them a bit. It actually stinks to be around smokers anymore.. Good Luck!!

I never started smooking.

my father was a hard smoker, but he continued on getting hard cough even more. Then one day he decided to stop smooking around 1989. he never told me how, but he did it successfully. What i saw later is that he keeps on going better and less cough, i think that being healthy was his reason. on the last 5yr of his life, i dont remember he got any hard cough anymore.

maybe that is also the reason why i dont smoke, i see the bad impact of smooking and positive impact on stopping it. you might think about your wife/son as the reason to quit smooking

I got my Dad to quit by placing hand made signs displaying the lung association logo on every light switch in our house when I was 9 years old.
After that didn’t work, I got some “cigarette loads” at the trick store, stuck about three into one and waited...
He eventually quit for good and began to ride a road bike(quickly) and still does at age 77.

I have a friend who stopped smoking this way. No kidding.

He carried always a bottle of water, and when he wanted to smoke he drunk a bit of it..
Of course he also stopped drinking expresso coffee after lunch, since this lead us to smoke...and also begun to make long walks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.