Tool rentals and makerspaces

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Folks,

I'm taking an entrepreneurship class at the Haskayne School of Business and am writing a business plan for a tool rental + makerspace business as part of an assignment. Since that fits pretty squarely in with the crowd here, I thought I'd ask for some input. I would greatly appreciate it if you'd fill out a short survey so I can get a handle on the market.

Here's the survey link: Tool Shed survey link.

I'm curious if anyone here has used a makerspace, and if so what you use it for. It seems like an intriguing market.

I'm not planning to start the business. Just research it. :) Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,

Tom

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some of these questions are troubled.

"On average, how much do you spend on tools per renovations?"

I buy tools for multiple projects; otherwise I'd pay a guy who owned the tools to do the work. Do you want me to add-up all my projects, add-up all my tools, and divide? Give me a spreadsheet and pay for clerical entry.

I think if I actually did this, I would feel bad about my tool spending. Except I mostly buy tools yard-sale or at discount.

Agree that this IS the point of a tool-share/rent. But not sure the data is on-target.

"Tool Shed allows consumers to rent high quality products alongside our high quality information to ensure the project is completed at the highest level. Alongside the
"Would you be interested in this service?"

Alongside what?? Is there some text missing in the first paragraph? Are "products" tools or what?

"Thank you. All of us at GSkip appreciate it."

WTF is "GSkip"? Seems to be a gene.
Google GSkip
"GSK3B interacting protein is a protein that in humans is encoded by the GSKIP gene."
I don't do gene-bending. Surveys should say who is running them.

An additional problem HERE (far coastal Maine) is that, unlike metro Calgary, people here are too spread-out to support substantial shared services. Calgary has 50X more people than I can find in an hour's drive. They opened a tiny office-share in an old building, even paved the parking lot, and I think only one person uses it. We have a Home Depot but the Lowes closed-down in 3 years, never any customers. However there are two rent-a-tool shops. I have rented a ditching machine. (And broke it....)

Nobody's used a makerspace? That's a bit surprising given this crowd.

Tom

SF has some extremely well equipped spaces with tools you could neither afford to own nor rent. I'm surprised no one here has tried one. From what I read they had large bed laser cutters that could cut out a complicated horn kit in little time. PRR I think that by tool sharing in this context we are talking Bridgeport lathes and surface millers, etc.

EDIT Tom you just missed these folks who set up a huge space near where I used to be in SF. They just did a 5 day show in Calgary. http://flaminglotus.com/

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Some of these questions are troubled.

"Thank you. All of us at GSkip appreciate it."

Oh jeez. That's what I get for delegating survey creation without close supervision. Sorry. The guy who put the survey together doesn't have the best attention to detail.

I do agree the survey could be better. I do appreciate you going though it, though.

Tom

Joined 2009
Paid Member
SF has some extremely well equipped spaces with tools you could neither afford to own nor rent. I'm surprised no one here has tried one. From what I read they had large bed laser cutters that could cut out a complicated horn kit in little time. PRR I think that by tool sharing in this context we are talking Bridgeport lathes and surface millers, etc.

I'm a bit surprised as well that nobody here has used a makerspace. I visited a makerspace in Tacoma (FabLab) when I lived there. They had some neat tools - a few large bed laser cutters, 3D metal printers, and a rather large CNC wood milling machine. The facility was fairly basic, but quite usable.

EDIT Tom you just missed these folks who set up a huge space near where I used to be in SF. They just did a 5 day show in Calgary. http://flaminglotus.com/

Dang...

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.