• 61 - 70

Votes: 123 20.2%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • 81 onwards

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was the fat version. It was not an easy job, but since I had spent all my money on a soldering iron with 0.15mm tip and the mod chip I just had to try.
The mod worked with the ps2 in pieces, but every time I put all the covers on it wouldn't boot. I resoldered a lot of wires and it still wouldn't work with covers on. In the end I made a short circuit that killed the ps2.

I'm kind of disappointed that no one above 81 has clocked in yet.

That's possibly because most have clocked out ?

My dad (a heavy smoker) had his first heart attack 46. I am 60 (non smoker)and not had my first yet. My mother (a heavy smoker) got cancer in her late 60's and died at 72.

We only have one body and need to look after it.

Trouble is with old age is failing eye sight and shaky hands.
I wear reading glasses to solder and have to hold my hand against the bench while soldering.

One of my college professors commented on the ironic situation for many audio enthusiasts.

"By the time you have enough money to buy the audio gear that you want, your hearing probably isn't good enough to enjoy it fully."

It's too bad that I didn't find the diy path until I was in my 30's. My system has finally stabilized, but it took a couple of decades to learn enough to do it. For most things, I saved a significant amount of money, but it still took a bit of time. But the journey has been enjoyable, with a great deal of satisfaction.

btw, I have no plans to quit yet! :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm right up there with Nigel and Anatoliy, I've been involved in DIY since I was about 7, with increasing levels of competence as I got older.

My memories are somewhat different having spent time growing up both in the U.S. and what is now referred to as the E.U.

I'm a medical product design engineer in my real life and dabble in high end audio design on the side mostly as a hobby.

I can't see past the end of a paper bag these days so resort to all sorts of subterfuges including eyejusters (from the UK) and stacked readers (surprisingly effective). I wear progressives just for driving and walk around and recreate uncorrected.

I touched on memories, you see I remember PCBs and modular assemblies and built stuff on vector board and made really bad pcbs using phototransfer in my teens. I also did lots of P2P later on once I started designing and building my own tube gear.

I have just built one project based on a commercial design and did not like the result; the line stage section of the venerable ARC SP-3A. I also did my own phono stage design at that point mostly because I did not have parts to clone the 3A's phono stage, that phono stage was the progenitor for every phono stage I have designed since, the line stage design that replaced the one in the SP-3A was the basis for about a dozen or more line stages I built for others in the subsequent years until I started designing transformer coupled DHT designs.

I use a mix of through hole and SMD parts as it suits my design goals. I do restrict myself to 1206 and 0805 passives where possible, and sot-23, SOIC-8, 14 and 16, but will use tssop and ssop packages if I need to. Most of my new designs mix smd with vacuum tubes.

I have started designing my own PCBs recently, turns out I have more of a knack for it than I thought.

My goal is to continue to do this for as long as I breath... My hobby doesn't quite pay for itself, but I hope to carry that a bit further after two failed attempts at the audio business in the early 1990s and early 2000s.

You remember how old you are, that's good

My hearing is a bit strange. It tests to 9KHz. I find with certain voices I can hear the sound but cant convert to words in my head.
I am a "Charmed" fan and really struggle understanding Shannen Doherty.
The other actors are fine but with Shannen its just a noise. I have to turn the TV up to understand her.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One of my college professors commented on the ironic situation for many audio enthusiasts.

"By the time you have enough money to buy the audio gear that you want, your hearing probably isn't good enough to enjoy it fully."

<snip>

Don't get too discouraged, unless you experience severe hearing loss or tinitus you will not be aware of the HF hearing acuity loss unless you go looking for it deliberately. Most of the music does not live in the last octave, I enjoy the considerably better gear I can afford to design and build or purchase as desired just as much as I did 40 years ago. I think I also have a much greater sense of what is important to me and know much more about critical listening. (I was on the listening panel of a notorious mid fi company I worked for for about 7 years until I left their employment to loose my shirt in my own audio business)

Unfortunately a lot of kids ruin their hearing by their early 20s - I have met a number who are deafer than I am.. LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.