LessLoss Firewall module - what's inside?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I've read some reviews of LessLoss Firewall module, and it seems very interesting. I've read all their texts and understand it, they are controlling skin effect of conductor... give higher impedance to skin of conductor... but how it is done?

Module: High End Power Conditioner | Audio Power Conditioner | Firewall Power Conditioner by LessLoss

My thoughts:
- some kind of lacquer which is dampening high frequencies? carbon?
- special geometry of interwoven conductors?

Does anyone know or have thought about what is happening in this module?

Kamil

LessLoss-Firewall-Module_FON3463-1000px.jpg

Last edited:
Almost certainly best quality first pressing virgin snake oil. Or they have managed to conceal some inductance and capacitance in a thick film module - so they can 'truthfully' say "no inductors" and "no capacitors" (note: not 'no inductance' etc.).

You can judge the electrical quality of a mains conditioner by looking at the box it comes in. Metal possibly means good. Polished wood means very efficient at propagating money from your wallet to theirs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just because they have good reviews in high end hifi magazines most categorically does not prove it isn't snake oil. (They are entertainment quality in most cases from a purely technical/engineering POV)

I think testing in an EMC lab would quickly determine its level of effectiveness, although I would expect that only to confirm my suspicion that it does almost nothing at all.
It looks like a capacitor implemented on PCB to me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I enjoy reading subjective reviews online and in magazine form for their entertainment value, but I think the referenced site is one of the least credible sources of opinion based reviewing I have read.

I alluded to the fact that I thought it was a pcb based capacitor based on what little of it I could see. Presumably quite low inductance, the capacitance realized depends on the surface area of the overlaying conductors and the dielectric constant of the board material.

Yes, there clearly is some structure underneath the coating. Whether this structure is functional or cosmetic only the makers know. You could make a low pass filter on that board, although the corner frequency might be fairly high with only lowish value printed components available. Oops - they said no capacitors - maybe they meant 'no separately identifiable discrete component capacitors'?

The claim about no capacitors and no inductors may indicate which section of the audio market they are aiming at. Of course if someone genuinely believes that each component damages the sound why would they not also believe that each magic coating damages the sound too? Maybe ordinary components are designed by nasty deaf conventional engineers who want to be paid money, while magic coatings are made by music-loving benefactors in touch with their own feelings and the planet who ask for nothing in return. Oops - the price tag kills that argument!

I prefer to only use pure, natural electricity generated by the Sun.
The problem, of course, is that many of us like to listen most intently long after the Sun has gone down for the night. There is thus a temptation to use lead-acid batteries as is common in most solar installations. However, storing electricity in lead is as bad for the music as eating the lead as food would be for the listener.

While music sounds its very best when the equipment is played directly from the solar panel output ; it's actually quite as lovely when the stored electricity is drawn off at night from Lithium cells. This of course makes sense, as Lithium is not toxic. The listener could even eat the Lithium and enjoy better emotional health ; not the case with lead-acid for sure!

For safety reasons, lithium is best eaten in the form of a lithium salt. Elemental lithium has a tendency to burn holes in laptops and aircraft, and presumably would do the same to a human body. Historically, lead was often consumed by children in the form of paint due to the sweet taste. Medical supervision may be helpful.

One can of course use electricity derived from the Sun but temporarily stored in coal seams.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.