Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

LessLoss Firewall module - what's inside?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2017, 03:56 PM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I enjoy reading subjective reviews online and in magazine form for their entertainment value, but I think the referenced site is one of the least credible sources of opinion based reviewing I have read.

I alluded to the fact that I thought it was a pcb based capacitor based on what little of it I could see. Presumably quite low inductance, the capacitance realized depends on the surface area of the overlaying conductors and the dielectric constant of the board material.
Old 17th November 2017, 04:31 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, there clearly is some structure underneath the coating. Whether this structure is functional or cosmetic only the makers know. You could make a low pass filter on that board, although the corner frequency might be fairly high with only lowish value printed components available. Oops - they said no capacitors - maybe they meant 'no separately identifiable discrete component capacitors'?
Old 17th November 2017, 04:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

That last was how I interpreted it, no reactance of any sort would just be a perfect wire by any other name and completely without effect. lol (Of course that appears to be pretty close to what it is. )
Old 17th November 2017, 06:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The claim about no capacitors and no inductors may indicate which section of the audio market they are aiming at. Of course if someone genuinely believes that each component damages the sound why would they not also believe that each magic coating damages the sound too? Maybe ordinary components are designed by nasty deaf conventional engineers who want to be paid money, while magic coatings are made by music-loving benefactors in touch with their own feelings and the planet who ask for nothing in return. Oops - the price tag kills that argument!
Old 17th November 2017, 08:24 PM   #15
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

But wires in real life are non-perfect, and any non-perfect behavior changes the sound for the bad. Except our products, they change the sound for the good.
Old 18th November 2017, 01:14 AM   #16
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

My take is that there are no passive components soldered to the PCB. Only the intrinsic Resistance, Inductance of traces, and capacitance between traces are involved.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:57 AM   #17
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Well, at least it acts like a wire - more use than a Bybee wooden block....
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 19th November 2017, 01:08 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, that wooden block..
Old 19th November 2017, 06:26 PM   #19
jrdmedford is offline jrdmedford  United States
diyAudio Member

I prefer to only use pure, natural electricity generated by the Sun.
The problem, of course, is that many of us like to listen most intently long after the Sun has gone down for the night. There is thus a temptation to use lead-acid batteries as is common in most solar installations. However, storing electricity in lead is as bad for the music as eating the lead as food would be for the listener.

While music sounds its very best when the equipment is played directly from the solar panel output ; it's actually quite as lovely when the stored electricity is drawn off at night from Lithium cells. This of course makes sense, as Lithium is not toxic. The listener could even eat the Lithium and enjoy better emotional health ; not the case with lead-acid for sure!
Old 20th November 2017, 10:27 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

For safety reasons, lithium is best eaten in the form of a lithium salt. Elemental lithium has a tendency to burn holes in laptops and aircraft, and presumably would do the same to a human body. Historically, lead was often consumed by children in the form of paint due to the sweet taste. Medical supervision may be helpful.

One can of course use electricity derived from the Sun but temporarily stored in coal seams.

LessLoss Firewall module - what's inside?Hide this!Advertise here!