Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What have you built lately?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 01:25 AM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a breadboard prototype for what will become a few new amplifiers. This prototype is for evaluating tubes, transformers, and operating conditions.

The first picture shows it with GE 6550A tubes making about 70WPC in triode mode. The second picture shows it with 7403 tubes making 100 WPC in triode mode.

This video shows it annoying the neighbors through speakers at full crank! AKA "4 minutes of LOUD"

YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000462_x.jpg (873.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg P1000468_x.jpg (918.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 13th January 2018, 08:57 PM   #12
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

I repurposed an old digitech amplifier that only draws 6 watts at idle to amplify a cheap and nasty chinese wireless doorbell that wasn't loud enough.

I was also going to throw out a set of loudspeakers which weren't of any use to anyone but reused them for the doorbell.

Well its bloody well loud enough now! Big Ben strikes hard in our house.

I'll put it on a timer for now to save on power. But seeing as we have a solar power system here I don't see why I can't increase the power output even further and make the whole house shake whenever the doorbell is rung. *rubs chin*

I'm thinking of improving it by making up a hanging 12 inch open baffle loudspeaker that I can hang from the wall and let the wall act as part of the speaker with a high efficiency driver and running it from a SLA battery with a trickle charger. But I do have some spare 8 inch drivers laying around with a box that I could convert into an open baffle loudspeaker simply by removing the back, I just then need to stash some electronics inside of it and glue a piece of wood on the back to keep it away from the wall by a cm or two.

Last edited by VenusFly; 13th January 2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

I replaced 20 faders in my mixing console. In order to do so I had to design and order PCBs.

Old faders from vintage TOA were scratchy. New ones are deadly quiet. I used double pots in parallel, for reliability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4143.JPG.jpg (268.2 KB, 129 views)
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 20th January 2018, 09:29 PM   #14
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

6th order bp kick bin.
70-140Hz.
I will tune it maybe down to 60 hz but will need to test first, since I just completed the build.
Old 21st January 2018, 02:42 PM   #15
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

My Eleaf iStick Pico suddenly died during my happy hour so I turned into a Macgyver with a serious craving for nicotine.

A meter long piece of 1.5mmSQ 2 core speaker wire.
A gutted out Eleaf iStick Pico body.
Some solder.
A 20 amp blade fuse and fuse holder. (to prevent the battery from going kablewy in my hands, its unprotected.)
A DPDT mains latching switch.
and a single 5mm wide rubber o ring (to insulate the vape tank 510 thread from the body to prevent any possibility of a short)

Oh and a rubber band to hold the soldered end of the cable to each end of an 18650 battery.

And 8x soldered connections and 20 minutes later and I had a working vaporiser again.

It will do me until I get paid again and can afford to buy a variable lab bench power supply that will give me at least 4.2 volts at 10 amps (7.5 amps minimum) so I never have to bother around with 18650 cells anymore, or constantly charging batteries for that matter.

I should have done this a long time ago.

Last edited by VenusFly; 21st January 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:33 PM   #16
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

2nd 6th order kick bin.
Old 26th January 2018, 10:07 PM   #17
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Improved power supply for my console.
Added voltage regulators between rectifiers and existing regulators based on 7815 and 7915. I suppose, ripples went down about 40 dB more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4169.JPG.jpg (202.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4168.JPG.jpg (226.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4167.JPG.jpg (209.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4166.JPG.jpg (222.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4151.JPG.jpg (219.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4152.JPG.jpg (166.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2018-01-18 18-42-38.png (117.7 KB, 39 views)
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 26th January 2018, 10:17 PM   #18
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Made a Linkwitz/Reilly 24db/octave 100Hz active filter pcb.
Old 26th January 2018, 10:33 PM   #19
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Made a Linkwitz/Reilly 24db/octave 100Hz active filter pcb.
Can you show it?
Old 26th January 2018, 10:40 PM   #20
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Can you show it?
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

What have you built lately?Hide this!Advertise here!