The car thread

Dig around online and see what optional wheel sizes were offered on your car over the range of years it was made in that particular body style.

The wide body Camry was called Avalon in the US. In later years it also came in a Lexus flavor but I'm not sure which one or when it was offered. The two door model was a Solara which also came as a convertible.

Toyota sells their cars under 3 different brand names through different dealerships in the US. Scion, Toyota and Lexus in order of price. There is some overlap between the Toyota and Lexus cars.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yep. I spent the afternoon on ebay and found a few after some "research". Asking for a specific size from a wreckers like 17x7 in 5x114.3 is going to be impossible, I'll be lucky enough to find the size and offset that I need let alone the size that I want and that is with help from the website below. The best I can hope for is an approximation and I will have to hope cross fingers that it doesn't touch the strut tower. I'll have to go there armed with at least two straight edges. I'm 100% sure that most places won't know offset from PCD, but at least they'll probably get it off the car for me. It will take a lot of walking around and reading the inside wheels of many cars though to find the right size that I need, it will be a big job and I'll need help from my brother with it.

I need to get a wheel with the correct offset AND the correct PCD stud pattern and size. So its probably a good idea that wheel-size.com exists because then I might be able to get some after some running around.

Then there is the other problem of either asking the wreckers to drop the wheels into the boot of my mums wagon or getting my brother to help me chase some down, I can't lift wheels that often, it'll screw up my back too much.

Things are very close with the strut tower with just the stock wheel/tyre which gives me doubts on this whole idea of going up 2 sizes. I might have to settle on just getting a set of steel wheels from my current car make/model/year and putting some sports tread on them and staying with 15x6.

Which gave me a great idea, sorta tubelab's idea. But this website: Wheel-Size.com :: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

Will give me the PCD and offset of each wheel type of each make/model of car in Australia.

Anyway.

Factory wheels are:
15 x 6 rim with a 5x 114.3 PCD with a 45mm positive offset, 135mm backspace.

Tyres are:
Bridgestone RE92 P205/65R15

Measurements I took are:
20mm from strut tower to tyre Horizontally
20mm from strut tower to tyre Vertically (the strut tower overlaps ontop of the tyre a bit)
70mm clearance from front of tyre to mud guard on Horizontal axis
70mm clearance from top of tyre to mud guard on Vertical axis (Wheelwell clearance)

Some replacements are from Fords:
Ford Falcon 2008 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

Which means I might be able to get some spare wheels from a few Falcons from the wreckers for this model of car, which will be 17x7.5 with a + ET of 36.5
NEW Ford AU to FG Steel 17x7.5 Steel MINOR DENTED SINGLE Rim | eBay

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
This page tells me that a 215/45R17 17x7 wheel will fit on my car, with a positive offset of 43.... that is a pretty specific wheel, and I've gotta find it in steel, not alloy. And it says that size only came on the XV20 chassis.

So my mums car.

Might be best to hunt down some Ford BF 16 or 17" wheels, at least then I know its going to be easier to find.

Toyota Vienta 1997 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

Last edited:
There’s no reason to venture into spacers and extended studs when there are wheels available that will fit. I would only do that if I already had the wheels or had no other option.

I would find out which models of Toyotas had the wheels you need, that will ensure the center diameter is correct, and try and locate those. The offset is defined if you search, and will help convert to backspacing dimensions that are what you need. I’ve had luck on local classified ads for finding wheels myself.
If not, I’m sure a decent set of tires will get you what you need anyways, using your original rims.

The 215/45-17 has an outer diameter of 24.7”, a bit small, the 225/50, or 215/55 will be the right diameter and not affect the gearing/speedometer. That’s assuming the 205/60-15 was the correct original size.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
There’s no reason to venture into spacers and extended studs when there are wheels available that will fit.

Agreed, There are plenty of options available on wheel-size.com where the ET/offset is 45 or 43 or 50 (50 is no good for me, I need to go down in number not up)

This just requires digging, not spacers.

I would find out which models of Toyotas had the wheels you need, that will ensure the center diameter is correct, and try and locate those. The offset is defined if you search, and will help convert to backspacing dimensions that are what you need.
yep that is exactly what I'm doing right now on wheel-size.com, I'm looking up various 2005-2009 Camrys and seeing what wheels will fit, but its slim pickings, there is the USDM and underneath that there are a few choices but there is no listing for AU/Australiasia/Asia except for JDM. So I guess I had better focus on JDM listings... Anyway. There is one wheel which keeps popping up year after year from 2005-2009, and that size is:
215/60R16

It won't provide the low profile look that I'm after but it might perform slightly better in the wet, and it will keep weight down not having such a large wheel.

However there is a 215/55 R17 available in an ET of 50. But I don't think that will work with my car, factory wheel is already pretty close to the strut tower.

I could go with the 215/60R16, that size is very common.

in the 2014 model of the camry (Toyota Camry 2014 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com) there is also an AUDM listing, however that just lists the same old 215/60R16 wheel with an ET of 45, and the same old 215/55R17 with an ET of 50. The 16 is suitable but the 17 is not.

So.... that leaves me with Ford wheels. (Ford Falcon 2005 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com) Those have an ET of 42, which is good for me. But a 17 inch steel wheel will be pretty heavy.

215/55 R17 x7.5 ET43 fits my car pretty well according to:
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

It however increases the Rim + Tyre weight from 17kg to 20.9kg (21kg), lets just hope we don't break a bearing.

After all that I think its best that we go with a Ford wheel. With that ET of 50 I doubt the modern Camry wheels will fit mine, too close to the strut tower.

Last edited:
Is this the same generation as your car?

otobody: THE OFFICIAL GEN 5&6 CAMRY on OEM LEXUS WHEELS THREAD

If so, then the Aurion factory wheels would be a fit.

My 2009 Corolla has factory 17 wheels with 215/45-17 tires.

There is something to be said about keeping a higher profile tire, which will be less of a square profile and more apt to maintain contact as the suspension travels, changing camber along the way. Unless you have a very firm suspension, that’s probably going to be easier to live with.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Mine is the widebody. 93-97.
Mine is also the Grande trim which means it comes with nice looking alloy wheels. And I can tell you that these wheels already have a large chunk of metal taken out of them due to some sort of accident involving either a kerb or a pothole. Its a bad idea putting alloy wheels back onto this car especially if I'm going to need to depend on it.

Mine is NOT this car:
Toyota Camry (XV20 - Wikipedia)

XV20 is my mums car, not mine.

Mine is the older XV10. With the 3VZ-FE engine, much more rugged than the 1MZ-FE that has oil consumption issues.
This one: Toyota Camry (XV10 - Wikipedia)

Aka a Gen 3:
Official Gen 3 & 4 Camry / Gen 1 Solara Picture Thread (Pics Only. No Conversation) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Imagine if you will if the 1993-1994 Camry was made way up until 1997, and you have my car. My car has the 3VZ-FE which made it in the Gen 3 camry in the USA only up until 1994-1995 and then they switched it over to the 1MZ-FE alloy block engine, far too soon if you ask me. Toyota Australia kept the cast iron block engine 3VZ-FE around for a long time.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yeah thanks for tracking down that thread, its very helpful.

The '01 IS300 rims that I now have on mine are 17x7
and have +50mm offset. This means they have about 10
mm more positive offset than the ideal for a Camry
(about 40).

Therefore, you DO NEED a spacer in the rear if you
plan to use any tire wider than 205 mm. I have
215/55/17 tires right now and without spacers the
rears rub the struts. I tried and you can't use them
without a spacer in the rear - the tire rubbed the
strut enough to cause strut paint and tire sidewall
damage.
That is exactly what my rim & tire size calculator is telling me, I have to go down in number on the positive offset/ET to clear the strut tower on mine.

Its as if you made your hand into a L shape and pointed your thumb down towards the ground then put your hands fingers over the back of the tyre where the strut tower is on the wheel. The strut tower is both covering the tyre and its close to the tyre. That limits my options greatly of going too crazy with the wire width without changing offset/ET and bringing the wheel out away from the car.

If I do put alloy wheels back onto this car they will be 15 or 16, but this is designed to be a carefree build, they would have to be some pretty strong alloy wheels.

aka cast vs forged. I would have to go with forged aluminium wheels. Semi-forged.

Or.... drumroll... wire spoked wheels.

What I COULD do, is go with coilovers, that way the strut tower will be out of the way, I can stick with 45 offset, and I can have any size I want. But I'm worried about ride quality.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
TOYOTA CAMRY WHEEL STANDARD/STEEL 16IN, ACV40, STANDARD RIM, 06/06-11/11 06 07 0 | eBay

This is what I need. Local too. 16" Steel wheels off of an ACV40 camry. $65 each.]

K.I.S.S

Keep it simple silly.

We can then put some really good tread on it and some nice looking hubcaps, and then I will have the strength and durability of steel wheels with the ability to bang them back into shape if I encouter a rock or pothole on the many rough roads that we have here. Instead of having to buy a new alloy wheel whenever I encounter a rock.

I also don't need to worry about scrapes along carparks that much because its just a cheap plastic hubcap.

I also get the handling performance of a sports tyre because I'm choosing a 16 inch wheel, so I can choose a nice agressive looking tread.

Then I can find a nice Alfa Romeo to pick on and steal its hubcaps:

Attachments

• 249-diyaudio.jpg
    249-diyaudio.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Looks like you’re on a path towards some wheels, something like that should be fairly common, I would be patient and try and get a set as cheap as possible.
Many of the newer tires are shaped/made to protect the rim, is a nice feature, will help keep the hubcaps all nice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Installed some 12v cigarette socket outlets in the rear of my car so that I can have a laptop and charge an android phone and run a rasberry pi computer and also run a satellte tv receiver and monitor/television attached to the rear of the seat. I'm using 10 AWG wire to prevent voltage drop. I can draw 150 watts x 2 continuiously through those cigarette lighter sockets, the middle socket is left empty because I've got a 2x 2.1 amp USB charger that will screw right into that empty hole arriving from China.

I cut the carpet to run the cable through underneath with a stanley knife. It takes a practiced hand to solder this gauge of wire onto those terminals without melting the plastic of the cigarette lighter sockets, I used a 30 watt iron and took my time with a fair amount of flux paste, blowing on the terminals right after soldering them.The wire will be fused at 25 amps its only got a short run to the secondary battery behind the rear seats so I can get away with a 25 amp fuse on 3 meters of 10 gauge.

Attachments

• 251-diyaudio.jpg
    251-diyaudio.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 252-diyaudio.jpg
    252-diyaudio.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 92
  • 253-diyaudio.jpg
    253-diyaudio.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 254-diyaudio.jpg
    254-diyaudio.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Make sure that big wire is clear of the back seat frame, assuming you’re using the trunk battery that is.
Those tires look decent, good to see that they have better 15” tires available.
I’m gradually working my way around the car getting it waxed for the winter season coming soon here.