Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The car thread
The car thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2018, 02:39 AM   #881
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I had 5 cars before I had my license.
21 cars before going back to school, only 8 since then, am slowing down.

Thatís what the suv is in our household, has been used in 4wd maybe one time, is the only car that I have purchased new, for my wife.
Old 4th November 2018, 02:59 AM   #882
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
What is an SUV anyway. Is it a product for mothers who drive their children to school then go shopping?
Its a product for people to look like they own a 4x4 but not really, because they're cowards. They want the macho image of owning a 4x4 so that they can put a sports device (Kayak, Surfboard) on the top or a couple of bicycles on the back and go and ride a bike, but drive there first.

These people feel infinitely superior towards others (because they are thin/apparently look good to their friends, but in reality their insides are rotting from a lack of nutrition and too much coffee) and don't really care if everyone decided to just die just so that they could get a coffee in a minute. They also usually work in a field which boosts their self esteem so high that nobody can tell them that they are wrong at anything, even if it kills someone they'll blame somebody else rather than admit that they were wrong.

An SUV is a car that a drug addict would buy, and it shows, because Caffeine is a drug. And just like a gun an SUV provides an inflated sense of self esteem.

They also have zero cargo space so you can't help anyone move their stuff like a normal human being would for their friends, with a wagon or ute. Boosting yet again their fake macho scorched-earth image.

They are also high up in the SUV so they leer over other drivers saying "look at me aren't I important!" but there is no ground clearance, a true testament to the Napoleon syndrome that most people have today when treating strangers like garbage in traffic or really anywhere in real life. This shows you just where the SUV originally came from, from gangsters, from the Escalade crowd of black and latino murderers and drug lords. The 90s and 00s when growing your own pot and selling drugs to kids then shooting someone because they are on your turf was/is still considered cool. That is what an SUV is to most people, the epitome of bad attitude.

Its the same snotty crazy consumerist attitude that ute drivers have when they pull out of a car park and leave a smashed passengers side window and a huge ding in the side of your door, or ram your car up the **** and write it off, which happens on a regular basis around this town.

This same ******* attitude is what kills little old lady's in their Toyota Echos at roundabouts because the Ute driver with an (illegally) lifted 4x4 or SUV decided to run the gauntlet and run the other car over killing the occupant. Or when they take their lifted 4x4 over to the beach and kill a little girl that was playing in the sand dunes by hitting her head-on with a steel or aluminium bull bar.

But its okay because they had a light bar fitted, which they use illegally on the road to blind other drivers.

Top Gear covered it in one of their last season episodes. Before the ******* took over and fired the good cast.

Last edited by VenusFly; 4th November 2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 4th November 2018, 02:59 AM   #883
daqvin_carter is offline daqvin_carter  United States
diyAudio Member

How long do you keep your car?
Just listing the current ones from oldest to newest.

1991 Toyota Previa van with 5 speed manual.
My parents bought it used about 2001. Gave it to me about 2013 with about 220,000 miles.
Currently has about 287,000 miles and drives fine. Carried a trailer from Denver CO to Fruita CO last week for one last biking/camping trip before winter. Needs valve adjustment with shims and replace MAF sensor to run perfectly before next emissions test. It does not consume or dirty the oil so I expect it to clear 300,000 miles no problem. It is a mid-engine AWD vehicle that really handles well in snow.
I may actually get the the Previa painted and replace the windshield. While doing so, I may put duraliner on the front to avoid rust from rock hits.
Also, someone in the Denver area seems to be buying up the existing vintage Previa vans and giving them a makeover.
Sort of makes mine look abused/neglected when I see them.

1998 Subaru outback. Mother in law bought originally and gave it to my son in 2015 with 146,000 miles. Currently has 160,000 miles and runs fine.

2001 Honda CRV. My mom bought about 2013 with 166,000 miles. She gave it to me about 2017 with 189,000 miles after developing a head gasket leaking a little coolant.
I had the head planed and bought a rebuild kit and just rebuilt the whole engine. Currently has 197,000 and runs nice. Good for snow and ice driving in Denver.

2004 Honda Accord 5 speed bought used in 2011 with 130,000 miles. Currently has 240,000 miles. Runs fine. Consumes about a quart of oil every thousand miles and will probably get an engine rebuild in the next two years if oil consumption gets worse or it fails emissions.

? year Toyota chopped pickup trailer. Pulled by the 1991 Previa when needed.

One advantage to living in Denver, CO is cars do not rust as fast. The older cars may have some rust spots that do not seem to grow from year to year.
Old 4th November 2018, 05:10 AM   #884
mor2bz is offline mor2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default daqvin

advance the timing on the prev makes a big diff

i am in ft collins Dave sundbyd2@gmail.com
Old 4th November 2018, 06:29 AM   #885
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

@ Venus. US marketing has always allowed us to modify their commercials to suit us. Now they insist it has to 'pop' - (groan).

This is a new product for us and I think the new name was a mistake. Fortunately we don't take well to being told what to like.
Old 4th November 2018, 06:28 PM   #886
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The car before my current one Iíd had for over 15 years.

While my wife enjoys coffee, Iím not sure she and other typical ute driving mums would fall into the category described! What I see is more of the modern equivalent of this;
1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 454 | Station Wagon Forums

I do agree that it is pretty ridiculous to see vehicles modified to a point where the fundamental safety of others has been disregarded. The bumper heights are established for a reason on road going vehicles. If one wants to go around this, then they should invest in a trailer to haul the thing around to an off road or track location.
Itís not uncommon for the modified trucks to lose an oversized wheel, cross the barrier where there is one, and collide with traffic head on.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #887
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

The car thread
Well, the girlfriend's Ford Expedition (our family car) has been eating PCM relays off and on since March, and just this week killed two in one day (we carry spares) so it came apparent that it was time to fix it. Research shows that the issue is intermittent/poor connection to one of the terminals on the relay, causing them to overheat and fail, and apparently it's a pretty common issue with 2003-2004 Expeditions in particular. Pulled the fuse/relay panel, and found a pretty oxidized connection on the board, with very loose contacts, and a broken solder pad connection to the trace. Cleaned the contacts, used needle nose pliers and squeezed the connector to provide better tension, and added a wire jumper from the solder pad to the trace. Fingers crossed, but I'm pretty confident it should work now. Worse case, we spend the $300 on a "new, improved" fusebox that "may" fix the problem.

Car started right up, so that's a good sign
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181113_200356.jpg (818.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181113_200402.jpg (775.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181113_203713.jpg (580.6 KB, 14 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #888
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
I recently had a melted relay and melted 30 amp fuse due to oxidised connections!

I'm going to be putting in a separate start switch to bypass my dodgy ignition switch tonight. Key will still be used for unlocking the steering and the normal ignition functions, just a separate switch to press for the starter.

I'm putting in a relay so that it can only be done whilst the ignition is turned on as well (not that the car would start without the ignition, but figured a big red button my be tempting for little fingers which would not be good if car was in gear!)

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-27 23.24.12.jpg (427.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-10-27 23.24.56.jpg (335.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM   #889
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
Its a product for people to look like they own a 4x4 but not really, because they're cowards. They want the macho image of owning a 4x4 so that they can put a sports device (Kayak, Surfboard) on the top or a couple of bicycles on the back and go and ride a bike, but drive there first.

These people feel infinitely superior towards others (because they are thin/apparently look good to their friends, but in reality their insides are rotting from a lack of nutrition and too much coffee) and don't really care if everyone decided to just die just so that they could get a coffee in a minute. They also usually work in a field which boosts their self esteem so high that nobody can tell them that they are wrong at anything, even if it kills someone they'll blame somebody else rather than admit that they were wrong.

An SUV is a car that a drug addict would buy, and it shows, because Caffeine is a drug. And just like a gun an SUV provides an inflated sense of self esteem.

They also have zero cargo space so you can't help anyone move their stuff like a normal human being would for their friends, with a wagon or ute. Boosting yet again their fake macho scorched-earth image.

They are also high up in the SUV so they leer over other drivers saying "look at me aren't I important!" but there is no ground clearance, a true testament to the Napoleon syndrome that most people have today when treating strangers like garbage in traffic or really anywhere in real life. This shows you just where the SUV originally came from, from gangsters, from the Escalade crowd of black and latino murderers and drug lords. The 90s and 00s when growing your own pot and selling drugs to kids then shooting someone because they are on your turf was/is still considered cool. That is what an SUV is to most people, the epitome of bad attitude.

Its the same snotty crazy consumerist attitude that ute drivers have when they pull out of a car park and leave a smashed passengers side window and a huge ding in the side of your door, or ram your car up the **** and write it off, which happens on a regular basis around this town.

This same ******* attitude is what kills little old lady's in their Toyota Echos at roundabouts because the Ute driver with an (illegally) lifted 4x4 or SUV decided to run the gauntlet and run the other car over killing the occupant. Or when they take their lifted 4x4 over to the beach and kill a little girl that was playing in the sand dunes by hitting her head-on with a steel or aluminium bull bar.

But its okay because they had a light bar fitted, which they use illegally on the road to blind other drivers.

Top Gear covered it in one of their last season episodes. Before the ******* took over and fired the good cast.
LMAO

The car threadHide this!Advertise here!