Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The car thread
The car thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #831
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like the is250/300 wheels would work well, in 16 X 7 size, nearly the same offset.
That would allow for some better choices of tires than the 15”sizes.

Should work with 205/55-16 tires, without spacers.

IS 300 rims on a 4cyl gen 4 98 camry - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Last edited by phase; Yesterday at 01:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #832
VenusFly is online now VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
Yeah thanks for tracking down that thread, its very helpful.

Quote:
The '01 IS300 rims that I now have on mine are 17x7
and have +50mm offset. This means they have about 10
mm more positive offset than the ideal for a Camry
(about 40).

Therefore, you DO NEED a spacer in the rear if you
plan to use any tire wider than 205 mm. I have
215/55/17 tires right now and without spacers the
rears rub the struts. I tried and you can't use them
without a spacer in the rear - the tire rubbed the
strut enough to cause strut paint and tire sidewall
damage.
That is exactly what my rim & tire size calculator is telling me, I have to go down in number on the positive offset/ET to clear the strut tower on mine.

Its as if you made your hand into a L shape and pointed your thumb down towards the ground then put your hands fingers over the back of the tyre where the strut tower is on the wheel. The strut tower is both covering the tyre and its close to the tyre. That limits my options greatly of going too crazy with the wire width without changing offset/ET and bringing the wheel out away from the car.

If I do put alloy wheels back onto this car they will be 15 or 16, but this is designed to be a carefree build, they would have to be some pretty strong alloy wheels.

aka cast vs forged. I would have to go with forged aluminium wheels. Semi-forged.

Or.... drumroll... wire spoked wheels.

What I COULD do, is go with coilovers, that way the strut tower will be out of the way, I can stick with 45 offset, and I can have any size I want. But I'm worried about ride quality.

Last edited by VenusFly; Yesterday at 05:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #833
diyAudio Member

The car thread
check out this trippy video I found on youtube:
YouTube
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #834
diyAudio Member

The car thread
TOYOTA CAMRY WHEEL STANDARD/STEEL 16IN, ACV40, STANDARD RIM, 06/06-11/11 06 07 0 | eBay

This is what I need. Local too. 16" Steel wheels off of an ACV40 camry. $65 each.]

K.I.S.S

Keep it simple silly.

We can then put some really good tread on it and some nice looking hubcaps, and then I will have the strength and durability of steel wheels with the ability to bang them back into shape if I encouter a rock or pothole on the many rough roads that we have here. Instead of having to buy a new alloy wheel whenever I encounter a rock.

I also don't need to worry about scrapes along carparks that much because its just a cheap plastic hubcap.

I also get the handling performance of a sports tyre because I'm choosing a 16 inch wheel, so I can choose a nice agressive looking tread.

Then I can find a nice Alfa Romeo to pick on and steal its hubcaps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 249-diyaudio.jpg (251.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; Yesterday at 07:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #835
diyAudio Member

The car thread
There are plenty of these floating around too:
TOYOTA CAMRY WHEEL MAG FACTORY, 16X6.5IN, ACV40, 10 SPOKE, 06/06-11/11 WITH TYRE | eBay

ET is 45 , so will fit my gen3 camry. Might be best to buy one and test it out on my car to see if it impacts with the strut tower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250-diyaudio.jpg (58.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; Yesterday at 08:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #836
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like you’re on a path towards some wheels, something like that should be fairly common, I would be patient and try and get a set as cheap as possible.
Many of the newer tires are shaped/made to protect the rim, is a nice feature, will help keep the hubcaps all nice.
Old Today, 06:44 AM   #837
diyAudio Member

The car thread
16" Premium Wheel Trim Rings SET OF 4 Brand New Chrome Plated Metal Band Ring | eBay
Yep.

Four of those 16" steel wheels + a set of those ^ chrome wheel trims and a few cans of matte black spray paint and I should be good.

And now to talk about tread.

Last edited by VenusFly; Today at 06:46 AM.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #838
diyAudio Member

The car thread
Installed some 12v cigarette socket outlets in the rear of my car so that I can have a laptop and charge an android phone and run a rasberry pi computer and also run a satellte tv receiver and monitor/television attached to the rear of the seat. I'm using 10 AWG wire to prevent voltage drop. I can draw 150 watts x 2 continuiously through those cigarette lighter sockets, the middle socket is left empty because I've got a 2x 2.1 amp USB charger that will screw right into that empty hole arriving from China.

I cut the carpet to run the cable through underneath with a stanley knife. It takes a practiced hand to solder this gauge of wire onto those terminals without melting the plastic of the cigarette lighter sockets, I used a 30 watt iron and took my time with a fair amount of flux paste, blowing on the terminals right after soldering them.The wire will be fused at 25 amps its only got a short run to the secondary battery behind the rear seats so I can get away with a 25 amp fuse on 3 meters of 10 gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251-diyaudio.jpg (183.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 252-diyaudio.jpg (178.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 253-diyaudio.jpg (168.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 254-diyaudio.jpg (132.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; Today at 09:16 AM.

The car threadHide this!Advertise here!