Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The car thread
The car thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2018, 05:02 PM   #471
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The car thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
maybe they had bad tires(?)
Could be. Could also be driving outside of the truck's limit. Goodness knows I see enough guys driving at 80Km/h in slippery conditions, not knowing the 4WD is good at getting you going but not so good at helping you stop. Ignorance is bliss until you need pulling out of a ditch.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:35 AM   #472
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
I picked up some supposedly jesus-tier Mobil Super 2000 X2 10w40 engine oil today. Unfortunately they sell them in 4 Liter containers which I didn't realize until after I had bought it so I will have to go back to 7-11 and buy another liter of it (a quart for the yanks), every other oil I've ever bought for the last 10 years has been in 5 Liter containers so you have some left over once you're done filling your 4 Liter engine sump.

Might do better than the current Castrol Magnatec 10w40 I've currently got in the engine though I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to define how better performing its going to be, I guess it will make my wallet a few grams lighter because a $50 AUD note is missing from it now. And therefore weight reduction! $50 note missing from wallet = +10HP!

Yes it costs $50 for 4 Liters, good grief.

First visual impressions out of the bottle are that its a very clean looking and clean smelling oil (yes I took a whiff of the bottle when I opened it.) Hardly any smell from it at all, whereas all other oils reak of high heaven and are coloured very yellow.

Maybe the content of impurities in the oil = a measure of how easily the oil breaks down? Wish I owned a gas chromatograph.

Only thorough scientific tests would ever be able to be the judge of that of course.

Anyway its going into my 3VZ-FE V6 engine along with a genuine Toyota oil filter and 6x new Denso Iridium Twin Tip spark plugs (Part # IQ20TT) = the three combined should provide endless thousands of km's of "driving pleasure" a term coined by Australian tv ads, not entirely sure what sex has to do with driving so I'm not sure why a word like "pleasure" is used outside of the bedroom and on prime time television so that I could see it when I was a kid. Especially considering that the engine doesn't burn any oil at all, not a single drop.

I'm expecting the spark plugs to last at least for 100,000km and maybe even to 150,000km. The engine oil and engine oil filter ehhhh, might change it out at 4,000km but I'll wait and see what it looks like. I generally like to wait until it begins to brown but not become black. Apparently the Toyota genuine oil filters will make your engine oil last a hell of a lot longer between changes compared to "counterfeit" ones, but that begs the question, just how crappy are "counterfeit" Toyota oil filters compared to the aftermarket oil filters? YouTube

Last edited by VenusFly; 12th July 2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:10 AM   #473
diyAudio Member

The car thread
YouTube
Old 14th July 2018, 02:36 PM   #474
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Could be. Could also be driving outside of the truck's limit. Goodness knows I see enough guys driving at 80Km/h in slippery conditions, not knowing the 4WD is good at getting you going but not so good at helping you stop. Ignorance is bliss until you need pulling out of a ditch.
It was very entertaining to watch, all those huge tires spinning away, truck not going forward as intended...

Those iridium plugs are pretty good for sure, and last a very long time.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:32 AM   #475
mokran is offline mokran  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
YouTube
The impact of a $3 oil filter. So, buy only orginal even their price is higher.
Old 16th July 2018, 12:54 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

The car thread
This is why you gap your spark plugs, so that the spark isn't bent by the fuel/air mix that is entering the combustion chamber via the intake:
YouTube

Basically you index your spark plug's negative terminal so that it is on the same side as your intake valves so that it acts as a shield against the incoming air/fuel mixture.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:57 PM   #477
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I would spend my time checking the valve clearances before thinking about indexing spark plugs, not worth the time IMO, especially with iridium plugs.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:02 AM   #478
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post

East Tennessee adage " 4-Wheel drive just gets you stuck in more inaccessible places".
Old 17th July 2018, 01:07 AM   #479
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
******** Toyota advertisement.

There are plenty of after market filters which meet or exceed Toyota filter specifications.

They are talking about "Counterfeit" parts, not alternate supplier solutions. Just a bunch of hype.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:09 AM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
This is why you gap your spark plugs, so that the spark isn't bent by the fuel/air mix that is entering the combustion chamber via the intake:
YouTube

Basically you index your spark plug's negative terminal so that it is on the same side as your intake valves so that it acts as a shield against the incoming air/fuel mixture.
Makes a very minor difference in land speed record racing. Othewise, more hype.

Yes, I have pitted for LSR competition vehicles.

I don't bother with indexing my plugs.

The car threadHide this!Advertise here!