The car thread

Sounds to me like you could do with a battery relocation kit? Anyway..

I've actually done this on my toyota camry vienta. this is the charger that I used with a 10 watt solar panel put onto my dash.

I chose PWM because I didn't want inherent noise that MPPT controllers produce on my power network.

You didn't hear it from me but its to power a GPS tracking system. (shh) More to protect the thousands of dollars of audio equipment than the car.

5A 12V Solar Controller Waterproof Load On In the Night Battery Charge Regulator | eBay

The only other place to put the battery is in the boot but the charger / 10w panel's a good idea.
Turned out the batteries stuffed so she's saving for a new one and anti-freeze.

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

My new purchase ...

also comes with meridian HiFi as standard .. ten speakers would you believe

Attachments

• ftype 2.jpg
    ftype 2.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 163
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
After Ford lost at the Newcastle, NSW, AU Supercar 500 today I'm going to keep my Ford. Plus its faster and more roomier.

Somethings wrong with my Toyota, I took it for a drive today and it just doesn't feel like a V6. It feels slow for some reason despite taking it up to 5500 rpm in 1st gear it still felt slow to me and that is with everything removed from the boot like the spare tyre.

I think its got too many miles, 354,000 km..

Ford has 225,000km and there is nothing wrong with the head gasket, this model of car had an earthing issue with the oil pressure sender.

Last edited:
Same here. I go to work in the early morning when it's still dark, and I'm constantly being blinded by blue LED headlights. Even worse, a lot of lifted 4x4s around here have four headlights running all at once. I've had to pull over a few times because I couldn't see.

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
retro fitted LED or HID headlights are a MOT failure in the UK
As the factory has level sensors and headlight wash systems from the factory
so begs the question how are these cars in the uk getting through the MOT test ?
Legal to sell but not legal to install

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I drove around last night and every 1 out of 2 cars had either their high beams or fog lights turned on fully or had HID or LED retrofits installed into halogen fittings. Its becoming a serious concern here. Police might have to start fineing them. I wish it wouldn't come to that but I can't bloody see the road! All I can see is the white lines.

As I pulled up to some lights last night there was a Toyota Corolla in front of me waiting and the LED tail lights were even too bright for me to see properly, all I could see was starbursts.

I remember just 5 years ago when a rare HID headlight was a sight to behold but now its becoming a cancer. And "DRL" or light bars aka Daytime Running Lights are NOT meant to be run at night.

I'm thinking of maybe putting a reflective bumper sticker on the back of my car just underneath the rear window so if the high beams are on in the car behind me they will turn them off because its reflecting back at them into their eyes. Use their own photons against them :)

What would be even cooler is a sentence saying "if you can read this your high beams are on, please turn them off!"

Last edited:
I have had 5 Ford Mondeo's.
Seem to be a good reliable car.
Sadly the local dealership is terrible.
Never ring when car is ready, you have to chase them.
I wanted a new car from a different dealer with same company and they refused to get it delivered for me ! I had to travel 200 miles to pick it up.
My latest car has a fault on the front windscreen electric heater and they want numerous photographs of the window in frost to prove it is faulty !

Some of the problem with 'modern' lighting is not the amount of light produced, it's how it's aimed.
Then you add in yer average owner who cant drive without winding the headlamps dip level up to max load level adjustment..... Why?
"Cos I cant see where I'm going."
How chuffing far do these people need to see ahead in a 30mph limit?

Many modern cars have 'self dipping' lights - my stepdad's Peugeot 3-oh-yawn has them and they don't work.
He bought that car when it came out on the market 6 - 12 months ago. I got to chat to the head 'mechanic'* about them and he said they 'only' really work If the car is faced with another car with comparable technology and that the dip was so woeful that people were winding the 'level' up to lift the lights to compensate.

Audi are ultimately responsible for 'Halo'...... because people want the next great thing that shines and NEED MORE SAFETY.
Halo was born in W.E.C. to save energy by Audi (running a diesel LOL) And improve safety - Vauxhall / GM licensed Laser headlight technology for use on the road.
This is the tech that uses multiple aimed 'lights' to create the spread pattern, but in case you dont dip fast enough, the sensors command a 'shadow' in said so there can be No blinding.
That dont work on either Audi or Vauxhall / GM cars.
Didn't really work on the LMP1HY cars either so they reverted back to the 'old system' for the next year's Le Mans - because drivers being passed could not judge the distance accurately Because the Audi's were dim :rolleyes:

*'mechanics'.... make me :grumpy: (as does 'design by focus-group (thanks GM))

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
What I don't understand is why LED Array Adaptive high beam head lights aren't taking into account the reflection into the eyes of a driver that is in front of you from objects which are being lit surrounding the car that is in front.

I know that even with my rear view mirror pointed down to the floor of the car that even when a 4x4 comes up behind me with its full lights turned on the light that is reflected from his headlights behind onto the objects that are in front of me are still too bright and too blinding because my eyes are adjusted for my headlights and my light levels.

So this whole BS about adaptive lighting systems, automatically dipping headlights, etc is complete nonsense and will no doubt get people killed.

Also what if the car in front of you has no tail lights turned on because of either a malfunction or because of driver request? Some adaptive systems rely on the tail lights of a car in front to tell when and where to create a zone of darkness from the high beam headlights behind. This won't work if the tail lights are malfunctioning for the car in front and will exacerbate an already dangerous situation into possibly a lethal one.

YouTube

Also if you are parked at a road T-section all of the cars which pass by you will be blinded by your 'automatic high beams' as they drive past. Adding further fuel to the problem.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
This won't work if the tail lights are malfunctioning for the car in front and will exacerbate an already dangerous situation into possibly a lethal one.

You are assuming the average driver would notice the failed rear lights on the car in front any sooner.... Not sure that's true!

Also if you are parked at a road T-section all of the cars which pass by you will be blinded by your 'automatic high beams' as they drive past. Adding further fuel to the problem.

Most drivers don't dip under those conditions, but the cars I've driven with auto lights all dip when you are stationary or at a low speed... Arguably better than the average "don't give a s**t" driver...?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have LED headlights on my Mercedes, they seem to be aimed comparatively low, perhaps because the car itself is relatively low.. LOL I generally don't need the high beams except on very dark country roads, and even then it is fairly optional. Most of the discussion about the head light technology is alien as much of it isn't legal here, we have HID and LED and its very common (and often blinding).

I am not sure I under what you mean by dipping, is it the same as dimming - a term we used we switch from high beams to low beams. Here driving lights have to extinguish when switching to high beams by law. Interestingly the Mercedes provides much better visibility in adverse weather even with low beams than the Subaru Legacy GT with either driving lights or high beams on. The Subaru was panned by consumers for its bad lighting, and having lived with one for over six years it was understandable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, we are confused by our common language, here that is referred to as "dimming."

My lights are definitely strange, they will illuminate the trunk (boot) of the car in front from quite a distance, and signs overhead, but not the rear window of the vehicle in most cases. They work better than anything else I have ever owned which is sort of what I expected.