Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The car thread
The car thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #191
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

hardly a tin can, but nicely done sir

and thanks to the autopilot " I think my spaceship knows which way to go"

gotta admire a guy whose nickname for his biggest rocket is BFR - officially F for Falcon, but he knows exactly what you're thinking

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:26 AM   #192
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

The car thread
I noticed that Ford is releasing an all aluminium body Ford F-Series trucks now.

Don't worry. its a ford. it will still find a way to rust.

I just found shitloads of rust on my Ford Au Falcon and I will be getting rid of it once I drain the tank of gas. They never sealed the seams up at the factory and they always design the seams where they will either collect water or be exposed to a high moisture environment. so whenever one large major body panel meets another and needs to be welded together you will find them rusting to the point that the entire weld seam will crumble in your hands and you won't have a car that holds together anymore.

On mine there is a rubber gasket which runs the entire left hand side of the windscreen on the passengers side (Aust passengers), I lifted up that gasket because I noticed some bubbling at the edge of the gasket and the entire god damn metal seam was rusting away, to the point that there isn't any metal there to do a repair on even if I could repair it which I can't because its a structural point and I would need to do too much to make it strong enough to hold the body together!

Last edited by VenusFly; 2nd March 2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:34 AM   #193
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fords used to be quite bad for rusting in the UK too.
In the last 20 years they seem to be a lot better.
I have had 10 year old Fords that had no rust on the bodywork.

My current Ford Mondeo has electric hand brake and soft start etc.
It will be interesting to see how long it is before they go wrong.
Its already been in to have the battery changed after 2 years from new.
Old 4th March 2018, 12:41 PM   #194
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Audi (since the mid 80's) and VW (since the mid 90's) have galvanized panels, don't seem to rust much at all. I'm sure a few other marques are doing it by now. I have seen mid 2000's mazdas(ford) that are still pretty bad as far as rust-through goes. I rented a 2017 nissan altima with 15k miles that had rust at a seam on the back door

Hondas seem better than they used to be...but rust is all part of planned obsolescence that gets you to buy new.
Old 4th March 2018, 12:52 PM   #195
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My favourite lady a young Liz Hurley.
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 4th March 2018, 03:29 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

The car thread
She can give me a full service check any day.
Old 4th March 2018, 04:52 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

The car thread
Anyone ever had the pleasure of owning a V6 90 degree Buick 198 CID Fireball engine?

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

I can imagine having that rattle can between your legs would be fun around town.
Old 4th March 2018, 07:01 PM   #198
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

That design had the "odd fire" crankshaft, essentially a V8 with two cylinders missing. The "even fire" 231 CI design had the offset ground crank such that a cylinder fired every 120 degrees.

I never had a Buick 198 but did play with a turbocharged 231 in my Camaro for a while before it found its final home in a friends Chevy Monza. My turbo 2.2L Dodge would still beat his Monza on the dragstrip and the autocross course.

Another fun car I had was a 1962 Oldsmibile Starfire. It had a factory turbocharged aluminum 215 CI Buick V8. The ugly old car sure surprised a few muscle car owners at the dragstrip.

That engine was too far ahead of its time for GM (didn't sell well), so they sold the design and all the tooling to British Leyland where it resurfaced as the Rover 3.5L V8 that powered everything from Land Rovers to the Triumph TR8. More than a few "TR8's" were DIYed in the US from TR7's and old Buick parts. Some even got modern Land Rover fuel injection.
Old 4th March 2018, 07:59 PM   #199
john blackburn is offline john blackburn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Rover 3.5L V8 turned engine oil into black solids and yet still managed to leak it from every gasket and seal. What a sound with an eight into not much exhaust though!
Old 4th March 2018, 08:32 PM   #200
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
The car thread
I helped a friend do exactly that swap. Aluminum Buick v8 into a tr7. Not sure what happened to that car but a few years of getting beat up and then off to the scrap yard would be a good guess

The car threadHide this!Advertise here!