More in vinyl news

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was surprised to find a Vinyl display in Walmart yesterday.

Attachments

• 20171029_184612_x.jpg
    20171029_184612_x.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 251
Joined 2016
Paid Member
As I always say when my wife frowns at my sartorial style, wait long enough and everything comes back into fashion.....

Curiously, a lot - perhaps the majority? - of people buying vinyl are not into "hi-fi" - have cheap turntables, just like the tactile nature of it all, the whole experience of the cover, turning it over, the surface noise....

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Somehow I doubt that the majority of new vinyl listeners are low-fi or as low-fi as you report. I can literally go to my local JB HiFi and pickup a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable for about $1,000. But yes there are other rubbish out there like Marley and Audio Technica. That is saying something! Because in the 70s-90s we all had those horrible turntables to play on, but not anymore.

But even then the cheap and nasty ones will still make good music. nothing like the flutter generators of the past.

JB Hi-Fi | JB Hi-Fi - Australia's Largest Home Entertainment Retailer

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They sell a lot of Crosley's in these parts - the modern equivalent of the bottom of the barrel dregs portables of the past. Execrable sound is an understatement (My parents have one now that they gave up their HiFi)

I know a small number of young people who collect them and play the MP3s that come as a download code with the record instead. They don't own any HiFi gear at all.

And then there is the crowd which converts vinyl into mp3.

If there is a sound difference you've got to really wonder just how rubbish CDs have become when people are buying Vinyl over CD.

I would think that those buying vinyl are those that missed it the first time around? The music industry is pushing vinyl like crazy because they have lost billions with CD's, and it is too time consuming to copy vinyl.
I would not discourage anyone away from vinyl, my old redundant td124 and 125 just keeps going up in value, I just need to chose the right time to reel in the gullible on Ebay.;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I would think that those buying vinyl are those that missed it the first time around? The music industry is pushing vinyl like crazy because they have lost billions with CD's, and it is too time consuming to copy vinyl.
I would not discourage anyone away from vinyl, my old redundant td124 and 125 just keeps going up in value, I just need to chose the right time to reel in the gullible on Ebay.;)

In a way that is the best of both worlds. They have the good copy (if they buy the good pressing and not some digitally enhanced copy) on vinyl for their later years if/when they get into vinyl and they have the MP3s to listen to right now.

I can only think that losing money on RedBook CD is a good thing, its a horrid format. Its questionable if its good or not sonically, but technical wise it is obsolete. DSD is superior we know that and you can purchase tracks online in DSD format...

When all things are considered its probably the best way to be buying music right now and it has been progress since the dark ages of buying things on multiple formats only to find out that they are obsolete.

Take for example mechless head units in cars now which are quite popular (they don't have a cd player in them, SHOCK! CD is obsolete!), and spotify/bluetooth pairing for mobile phones. (And quite a few budget head units now have FLAC support.) Now kids can listen to their albums in MP3 or via streaming. And you wouldn't believe just how often I stream music from spotify rather than listening to the radio, there is NOTHING on the FM dial worth listening to. If I do listen to the radio it is tuned on the local AM radio talk show. I can't think of anything which will save Digital Radio/DAB+ that is another dead end, I don't even have coverage in my area and its been on the market for 5 years+ and swapping out a CD just to change an album is old hat it isn't even safe to do anymore, its equivalent to answering a phone call or SMS on your phone.

Spotify-compatible head units nowdays let you change tracks (that you are streaming from your phone via the Spotify app) from the main controls on the radio. Great progress there...

I consider all of this to be a good thing. Its boosting vinyl sales which is good for those of us who want high quality sound at home, maybe some analog-only pressings will come out which are certified to come from good master tapes AND its keeping the tech-only newbies interested in vinyl because there is an MP3 copy they get to keep.

And when the newbies get to listen to their vinyl at home, a head change or a new TT is all that is needed. Sure you have to get out of your lounge chair to swap a disc, but that is good advice from a doctor anyway and if you don't like that inconvenience you've got the MP3s or DSDs to listen to on a media server.

Nothing but good progress.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Enjoy spending way too much on a defective media that starts to wear out the first time you listen to it? Why? To be cool? That's the reason 98% of vinyl is sold, because it's cool. And in a few years it won't be.

Why bother fight it? Is it because it makes you sound cool because you're superior to everyone else because you snob your nose at vinyl? You still get an MP3 or FLAC copy of the vinyl to download so the whole "don't buy vinyl because its fragile" montage is pointless. At least this way you get to use a vinyl for say 300 plays before it degrades AND you get a digital copy which will outlast the vinyl. I don't see the downsides to this at all.

I haven't heard a vinyl degrade audibly after the first play, that is just hyperbole.

If you are spending money on music you are throwing away money either on CD or a digital download anyway. And if you are paying too much for vinyl then go find a cheaper source. The price of vinyl will probably drop as more manufacturing plants come online.

You spend a limited amount of time on this earth anyway. So you as are all of us are fragile pieces of vinyl. Audio response drops off as you age too. As for defective media, ever had to deal with a cracked or warped CD?

So you get about 30 years of good performance out of your ears and you're concerned with vinyl's replay ability?

If you're arguing against the rebirth of vinyl over CD, that can be easily explained away with the fragility of CD.

if you're arguing against Digital audio, well I got some news for you buddy. Its here to stay.

Last edited:
Vinyl is a fad. Back today, gone tomorrow. I'm holding on to a bunch of tube TVs to cash on on the next big retro entertainment gear fad. And they actually look better, even though they don't measure well.
I have a cupboard full of old cameras and I'm getting the the feeling that there is an interest starting to build?
I often wonder what will happen when the tattoo fad ends.

Go to Amazon and search Turntable, do the same for Best Buy, etc. Even Bed Bath and Beyond, JC Penny, and many other retailers in the USA are jumping into the fray.

There are a lot of cheap (<$100usd) turntables out there. Whoever buys them will buy records to play on them. scroll down and look at the junk being sold.

Victrola™ 3-Speed Bluetooth(R) Portable Suitcase Turntable - Bed Bath & Beyond

Many of my records have been played less than 5 times, and the worst cartridge I've used is a Shure M91ED. I'm still in the process of digitizing them. I doubt the new buyers will respect their albums as well.

Why bother fight it? Is it because it makes you sound cool because you're superior to everyone else because you snob your nose at vinyl? You still get an MP3 or FLAC copy of the vinyl to download so the whole "don't buy vinyl because its fragile" montage is pointless. At least this way you get to use a vinyl for say 300 plays before it degrades AND you get a digital copy which will outlast the vinyl. I don't see the downsides to this at all.

I haven't heard a vinyl degrade audibly after the first play, that is just hyperbole.

If you are spending money on music you are throwing away money either on CD or a digital download anyway. And if you are paying too much for vinyl then go find a cheaper source. The price of vinyl will probably drop as more manufacturing plants come online.

You spend a limited amount of time on this earth anyway. So you as are all of us are fragile pieces of vinyl. Audio response drops off as you age too. As for defective media, ever had to deal with a cracked or warped CD?

So you get about 30 years of good performance out of your ears and you're concerned with vinyl's replay ability?

If you're arguing against the rebirth of vinyl over CD, that can be easily explained away with the fragility of CD.

if you're arguing against Digital audio, well I got some news for you buddy. Its here to stay.

Blah blah blah. Just your opinion. Except the vinyl dosnt degrade after one play part, that's just wrong anyway you look at it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.