What did you last repair?

Recapped a Rotel RA-820XA with some Elna Silmic IIs from old stock.
Tracked a signal strength meter issue on an NEC AUT-8000e tuner to mechanical sticking. The entire front panel requires removal to access the screws for assembly holding it. A reminder of how 'inventive' 1970s chassis packaging could get.

They have a startup time and are meant for hours of continuous use.
So they are useless in a garage where these 300W bulbs go IMHO.

Even turning on the saw would probably drop them out and then you wait what? 5 minutes to use the lights again? Good for street lighting I guess, or the gym in a school where the lights are on all day, but for a garage where you need a tool, then another one 30 seconds later, you might as well use a flash light.

They even replaced all the halide and sodium lamps with LEDs here 2 years ago.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Here people work 8 hours a day in garages with good lighting as that is required by law. Halide has many positive features for garage and car showroom use. Often lighting is switched on when the alarm is switched off and vice versa.

They don’t drop out when other loads are switched, where do you get that idea? It is one of the lighting variants that hasn’t been replaced everywhere here although the 35W has higher chance of staying for years to come.

More light output, long lifetime and 4x less energy consumption makes them better than 300W bulbs in a few ways. Those are forbidden in the EU.

Last edited:
An FPE 15A Stab-Lok breaker and a 150 foot run of number 14 wire powering a 1960's 1/4HP motor. The start windings almost turn off the lights (118V no load, ~30V while motor starts). It is a residence, not a commercial shop, and it's not uncommon to "run out to the garage to get a" whatever it is and 2 minutes later go get another tool. When it's -30°C, anything but a filament (or rarely, a good LED) doesn't work well for short duration uses.

They aren't interdit here yet, but soon.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/philips-300w-ps25-clear/1000436085

In Québec, almost everyone just uses incandescent because electric is cheap. I've never seen an LED bulb in any hotel I've stayed in there.
Most people use electricity to heat their homes in winter, too. I

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No idea what 150 foot number 14 is but a 1/4 HP motor normally takes 10 to 12x Inominal when switched on so slowstart is a good means to limit that. Here that is mandatory to keep mains quality OK. To my surprise it now it is even impossible to obtain even light single phase water pumps without builtin slowstart.

I took “garage” for car workshop but halide won’t work in that situation just like you say.

Natural gas and electric energy prices go up and up here. Energy will be a large part of many peoples income.

Last edited:
150 feet is about 46m... #14AWG is 2.5mm²

Ya there's no soft starting one of these... LOL

Here, in older neighbourhoods, your neighbours AC will dim YOUR lights...

Attachments

• tamper.jpg
    tamper.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I always hated CFL. Crap used to take 10 minutes to get bright in a cold place.
In my dad's garage, I just use a pair of 300W incandescent bulbs since the lights are hardly on and finding a screw in LED bulb anywhere near that bright has proven difficult...

Screw all that wattage use.
Get yourself a nice cheap 4 foot shop fixture with electronic ballast and plop a couple of those GE LED tube in it. Total wattage draw of 29 watts.
Mine is a 2-tuber, but imagine a 4 tuber version, blindingly nice light at only 60 watts.

My 8 foot basement workbench with the LED tubes

Attachments

• home shop.JPG
    home shop.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 116
I hate linear bulbs. For me to light that garage with 4 foot fixtures, I'd probably use about 10 of them. I just hate the light. It's like a cloudy day. I like point source the best.

Over my bench here I have a 100W and a 30W LED fixture (the first one is for lighting up a parking lot apparently) set up as uplights. The 100W is much brighter than a 500W halogen.

I like it bright :)

Some years ago I wound up dismantling a relatives "grow operation", ...I helped him rig up the indoor lighting, and when all was done, the plants up to the ceiling...he had a nice collection of grow-lights...except one. Using the same shade/reflector rig, it works great for a workbench. The color temperature is spot on pure sunshine!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

I have a friend who wanted to develop hydropnics, so he searched for grow lights.
Got kind of difficult, almost all were links to grow operations.
Including concealment of the operations where they would not be noticed.
Now that it is becoming legal, I hope this will be less of an issue.
We made our own lights, they worked well enough. Exotic vegetables.
Here some substances are sold openly in some states, the shops have licenses.

Compare the cost of buying cannabis vs the cost to grow. Pretty well every grow opuses electricity for lighting. I do think it is odd that to call it medical when grown under lights. Imo the best med is grown outside but one usually gets one crop a year and the weather can play havoc

Last edited:
You must have a lot of weak people in your country, mine too :)
Imo alcohol is worse for society.
I am full of drugs, Humira, my body is weak with Crohn’s disease. But I feel just fine under the circumstances, mind over matter :)
Put yourself in my shoes and you might think differently, size 9 btw :)

Last edited:
She is! Don't do drugs, taught it my kids as well. It is for the weak not for the strong.

I tend to agree.
When I was young, and less educated, I hung around all sorts of crowds, and tested the waters.
Thankfully my mental capacity was strong in my 20's, and I gravitated back to reality.
That is why I'm such a tough one and contoversial these days.
"set in my own ways".