What did you last repair?

NareshBrd, you seem well informed about these LED bulbs.

Mine is a broken Tesco 8.5W 2700K. It refuses to glow.

Using sophisticated tools I have disassembled successfully and now just need advice on where I obtain a new yellow coil before gluing it back together. :cool:

The yellow coil is clearly split and broken apart. :eek:

I suspect it is the INTEROCITOR coil. I would further guess, as a layman, the overall device is an "interocitor incorporating electron sorter" and "intensifier disk" combined. But could be wrong. :D

Attachments

• Broken LED Bulb.jpg
    Broken LED Bulb.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 301
  • LED Bulb disassembled Split Yellow Coil.jpg
    LED Bulb disassembled Split Yellow Coil.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 207
That is a Ferrite transformer, the old designs were like that: separate driver and LED boards. In a 9 Watt, the supply is constant current 27V.

For 20p I would not bother, just keep aside for when another pops with a different fault. Then mix and match...check that the LEDs are OK.

I have supplied LED flood lights, bulbs, panel lights, and filament LEDs as a trader, and have had a reputable run, because I sold A quality material, with wide band supplies and surge protection.

Here the government had a subsidy scheme, gave millions of bulbs at cheap prices to users, with a three year replacement guarantee.
Poor people could make part payment over six months.
So these suppliers were in contact with my importers, and I had knowledge about what was happening.
Supermarket price for 9 watt bulb is less than 100 Rupees, Philips T bulb is 10 Watts, about 150 Rupees.

1 Rupee is about 1 UK penny at this time.

Last edited:
I prefer this :D

I have some Phillips, but most of my LED lights are 4$ Chinese from eBay. Never had one fail in 5 years not that they are lit up a lot.

My main lights are now "Smart" bulbs that can be RGB, Warm, cold, or a blend between warm/cold. These ones are 12$ a piece but I can turn off the lights from another country lol

They are cold in the day, warm 30 minutes before sunset, and the I turn them red at night.

Attachments

• 49CK46_AL01.jpeg
    49CK46_AL01.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 91
I prefer this :D

I have some Phillips, but most of my LED lights are 4$ Chinese from eBay. Never had one fail in 5 years not that they are lit up a lot.

My main lights are now "Smart" bulbs that can be RGB, Warm, cold, or a blend between warm/cold. These ones are 12$ a piece but I can turn off the lights from another country lol

They are cold in the day, warm 30 minutes before sunset, and the I turn them red at night.

Jeez!.... what sort of place is that?
You running a line of hookers outa that joint at night? :eek:

Phoebus cartel...I'd think likely, the same sort of thing is ongoing within the new LED stuff we see now. Ask yourself, of any and all our gear, have you noted a single burn't out LED? A power indicator?, stereo indicator? peak indicator?...anything? And no, I'm not referring to the ancillary drivers...
"30,000 hrs expected lifetime"...I call BS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

The Electric Pickle Lamp turns out to have some teething problems. Apart from a very flickery light, the pickle stinks in operation, and the pickle tastes plain awful after lighting employ. Ah well. :(

Investigations of the failed 9.5W lamp have been ongoing and illuminating. I ripped the board out with pliers.

842735d1589123914-universe-expanding-clouseau-png

It seems heat is the factor that shortens LED bulbs life. The small electrolytics are rated at 400V and 130C, and we know they conk out quicker when hot.

And they do get hot. But my guess is a small soldering fault on one of the 8 pin SMD components. Two pins had a stray solder blob shorting them.

We might speculate that this fault, whilst not fatal to initial operation, caused overheating or failure elsewhere.

983476d1631706020-repair-led-bulb-disassembled-split-yellow-coil-jpg

I could conceivably get my money back on a manufacturing fault under warranty, but have lost the receipt, Additionally, Tesco's lawyers would doubtless claim that opening the device invalidated my warranty. :mad:

20 interesting facts about LEDs:

20 Interesting LED Facts Everyone Should Know! | JimOnLight

System7's (steve's) post above is veeery interesting, and the link to the 20 interesting facts is also a good read.
Particularly item #12.
I 'll have to mention that to my neighbor - he's got a string of small incandescent bulbs (mood lighting) around his porch, and when we sit out in the evenings enjoying beers conversation and music, those night-time bugs can be a bit annoying.
Like last night.... ladybugs, moths, and other assorted flying creatures stopping by.

When we used to sit outside up north, we'd put on a really bright light about 50 feet from where we were sitting.

One night we got to have a game of "how many of these moths can we beat out of the sky with pool noodles?"

So we got to it and stood there bashing them until we got bored and went inside. The next morning we say just how many we hit LOL There were thousands of dead moths on the ground around that porch light.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
PETA come in please.

Phoebus cartel...
"30,000 hrs expected lifetime"...I call BS.

Not many will recall that one. The cartel everyone thought of, discarded the silly thought ... but that turned out to have existed from 1925 to 1939.

The LED drivers even of pro stuff don't last as they should. I know them from large quantities in supermarkets where replacing them is a day job over the various locations.

Last edited: