Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
What did you last repair??
What did you last repair?? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2020, 08:46 AM   #751
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi wiseoldtech,
When I heard a Thorens TD125 MKII compared to my newer Thorens TD115 MKII, I sold my TD115 MKII. Yes, I used the same cartridge model on both tables. The big thing about the better tables is that they are dead quiet compared to your Kenwood and many other brands. That noise you say you don't hear - just wait until you hear a table where you really can't hear it. It is a real eye opener. The difference is not subtle at all. The Linn table is also like that, but way over-priced.

-Chris

Hi Chris

We've had discussions before on here, and your praise for the Thorens I'm sure is justified, if not slightly biased, and that's OK.
There are a lot of good turntables out there, surely.
But stating that my Kenwood is inferior as far as "noise" is on my end of things not justafiable.
You've never heard my unit, as I have never heard yours, and we both know quality levels from experience working with these things.
I'm not going to "tout" my Kenwood, other than saying that it's absolutely silent during operation.
This surprises me being what it is - because the only background "noise" that results in playing a record is the noise floor level of the recording itself, which varies with manufacturer, vinyl quality, and pressing operation.
These things, I can certainly tell the difference in from record to record, but believe me, the platter revolving under those records does not in any way contribute to the noise that you seem to insist that is there.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:02 PM   #752
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpberget View Post
My wonderful Pioneer CT-F1250 tape deck.
Gave about 10 euros at a fleamarket some time ago. Had to rinse the pinch rollers and idler wheel. They were all glazed really bad. Never thought cassettes could sound this good! Been at least 25 years since last time
I had a Pioneer CT-F 1000 and had nothing to compare it with at the time but a very good Ferrograph 2 track deck and there was no comparison, the cassette medium was never hifi.
Looking at the Pioneer now, it is just a big heavy lump of mechanics and electronics and cannot compare to a tiny mp3 player I can hide in my fist.
After reading this thread I checked ebay as I thought no one listens to cassettes any more. Well, I was shocked, old CT-F 1000 decks are are being offered for stupid prices. Why is that?
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM   #753
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

I dunno, man. Ebay just gets real stupid sometimes. \_(ツ)_/

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!