Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 02:58 AM   #401
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Chris, even though IIRC the Thorens 124 and 125 models came with armboards machined for them, Iím certainly inclined to agree with what I infer as your less than enthusiastic appreciation of the SME arms - at least those up to the mid 70ís, i.e. 3009/ 3012. Neither was I much of a fan of the Shure V15 or Stantons that the local dealer shilled most aggressively- Payola existed at both ends of the music industry . I personally preferred Peter Pritchardís ADC XLM and Sonus models to the other moving magnet at time. But of course if you sufficient gain and low noise a MC could bright more to the table
To agree with both yourself and wiseoldman, when mainstream table manufacturers got an arm right - such as on the 701 - compatibility issues with the bewildering choices of cartridge types was far less of a problem.
Looking back on this after over 40yrs, Iím having far more empathy for the freaking nonsense through which I put my wife, not to mention abuse to our finances during that decade of minor debauchery from 73-82 before the forced reality check of parenthood. It was 20yrs before some of those constraints were loosened, but by some accounts, retirement is at risk of disturbing the current stats quo.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:40 AM   #402
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote from chrisb: "To agree with both yourself and wiseoldman, when mainstream table manufacturers got an arm right - such as on the 701 - compatibility issues with the bewildering choices of cartridge types was far less of a problem."

Indeed!
Dual tonearms were one of the best-designed and highly regarded ones with a minimal of "fussing" involved.
And to this day, these tonearms, if not abused, are still excellent "carriers" for a wide range of cartridges.
I suppose the great German "clockmakers" must have had a hand in the precision design.
Old 21st October 2019, 06:18 AM   #403
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Chris,
Yes, I know exactly where you are coming from. Looking back, the truth can be painful indeed. I also put my family through hell running a service shop. My children grew up in the shop while my wife and I dealt with all the minor dramas audio can be filled with.

It's funny that my main system is still the same components I had before I met my wife. I picked up other systems over time, but you can't eat stereos. I shouldn't complain, this business did provide for my family. It was a hard existence, but we didn't starve.

-Chris

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!