Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #381
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi radiosmuck,
Quote:
I have a TD 124/II, a TD125/II and the original Linn (Ariston RDII) gathering dust in my basement
I can give that TD-125 MKII a kind and loving home. I need another turntable and that one would do very nicely!

-Chris
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #382
stevenrotterdam is offline stevenrotterdam  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Started with an old floor-polishing machine from a friend. Disconnected everything, the motor and caps seem to be ok, now I suspect the starting relay that is a moulded PCB, why so compicated?
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #383
diyAudio Moderator

Hi wiseoldtech,
Quote:
Most people don't have that luxury, particularly in today's market.
I did, and still do have that luxury. It makes for a cheap education certainly.
Quote:
In reality, that "performance level" - the "ultimate", perhaps human limit of sensing any improvements, is attainable in some products far below the "high-end" tier level
Agreed. In fact, I often talk people out of modifications they heard about on the 'net. The approach that I take is to fix their problems first. They typically comment that they can't believe they were able to listen to the equipment with the faults they had. However, often I can make real upgrades to their equipment - only if it makes sense to do so. For many designs, upgrades can help, but ultimately the equipment is victim to poor design and shouldn't be "improved".
Quote:
Utter silence, freedom from resonance, perfect pitch - is all what people strive for.
And yet, that Kenwood of mine does that, and quite nicely.
Entirely possible. The bearing rumble is something you don't hear until you get a chance to hear a turntable where this has been reduced by a decent margin. I had a Thorens TD-115 MKII that I bought new. Ot was a nice table and I was happy. One day a customer came in with a TD-125 MKII that didn't work, and he had just got it back from the distributor for the third time (Tri-Tel Associates). I fixed it and when he came to pick it up he looked at it and said that he just couldn't trust it and gave it to me. He wouldn't listen to my insistence he was making a mistake. So, when I took that home, it absolutely blew the TD-155 MKII out of the water for noise. It was so quiet and I ended up getting rid of the TD-115. The new TD-126 MKII is about the same as the TD-125 MKII for noise. There are times when you just have to live with something better for a short while to really "get it".
Quote:
For sure, it's not a stunning, eye-catching piece to look at, but as I said before, I'm only interested in the music it can produce
Well, yours probably looks nicer than my tables. They are fairly plain and your mind sees them and connects that object "as a turntable" without being interested. The TD-126 MKII is somewhat better looking, but still nowhere close to today's works of art. Me, I look at those and think how often they will need dusting.

I think that we agree on most points and our experience differs slightly.

-Chris

-Chris
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #384
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Somehow an earlier War and Peace length rumination on over 50yrs of personal experience with turntables while suffering from this audio addiction got lost in the ether. Lucky y’all, actually.
Bottom line is that when I finally settled down with my last vinyl spinning rig about 20yrs ago, I was hard pressed to get chuffed about selling a kidney to afford the differences I could hear between the Rega Planar/RB250/Goldring cartridge combo than the latest tweaked out version of LP12, or the outrageously priced top of the line AudioNote rig.
Never did own a Thorens, but did have at least two DD - Dual 701 and Kenwood KD500, and honestly even back in the late 70’s to mid 80’s was more interested in spending a few extra dollars on best available pressings of particular titles than thousands more on the rig. I think I had three different copies of “ Wish You Were Here” and found the British to be the “best” - a four letter word I’ve since come to generally eschew.
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #385
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahhh...... the notably famous Dual 701.
A lovely, stylish piece of machinery, and today its worth is doubled, sometimes tripled over the original price.
And for good reason.
It embodies the fine qualities needed for the discriminating music lover.

Notice, I said "discriminating" - not the obsessed nutbags that these days forever search for something that's beyond reason.
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #386
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

To wit: Laddies and lassies, I present to you the LP12 45th anniversary edition, you’ve waited long enough for this Klimax, so I hope it was as good for you as for our income statement.
Turntables | The Sondek LP12 Record Player | Linn

But that’s child’s play:
most expensive turntable - Google Search
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #387
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Please refrain from quoting the entire post when yours is next in line.
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #388
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Chris,
You really missed out if you haven't tried a Thorens table yet. I am extremely happy with mine, and all those I owned for that period in time.

With the TD-160 being the most well known tables followed by the TD-125 MKII (even better). I owned a TD-125 MKII for decades. Finally the casting warped for the top piece making setup impossible. One of my friends found another on Ebay in Montreal, so i ordered that and had it delivered to the TT tech (Gary in St. Catharines, RIP). He rebuilt it for me and it's been perfect ever since. Later I bought a TD-126 MKII. Didn't know anything about it, but hey, it's a Thorens. That one is now my favorite turntable.

I've repaired and tried countless turntables over the years, even a Linn. My biggest gripe with the Linn is that the power supply was defective from the factory as far as I"m concerned and the "upgrades" should have been supplied as a warranty replacement part. My second gripe with Linn is the price. It's a great table, but not for the money! I guess we could say the same about current Thorens tables. Wish I could afford one.

-Chris

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!