Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:25 PM   #361
RajkoM is offline RajkoM  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Yes, Kenwood and Onkyo had the best tuners.
Just these days I found an old and first or one of the first Kenwood solid-state tuners, model TK-350. In excellent working conditions.
We'll see what's inside when I open it.

BTW, today Kenwood-TK350 is known as a hand UHF ham radio transceiver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TK-350.jpg (53.8 KB, 28 views)
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #362
yngvejos is offline yngvejos  Norway
diyAudio Member

I repaired a belt grinder and a sliding gate today.
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #363
Sheero is offline Sheero
diyAudio Member

I came on here to see if i could find how to fix my Cyrus 6vs2. The speakers were connected while the power was on and while doing this something went? The standby light is still on but it wont turn on. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Old Today, 05:35 PM   #364
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Sheero,
Well, you have an excellent piece of equipment for starters. The design is quite advanced as well, plus it is mostly surface mount technology. Cyrus doesn't release service information and never has - for good reason. Most technicians do not possess the dept of knowledge required of this brand, and many will not use adequate care in performing the work.

I was authorized warranty for Canada before I got really sick for a couple years. What I would get in from others attempting to service these was often a disaster. It was quite clear these folks didn't understand amplifiers in general, and especially these products. I did get a few so badly damaged they could not be repaired without replacing the main PCB. This is all workmanship issues. Those that did clean work didn't understand how they worked. So with widespread destruction of their products, much like Carver, the decided (properly) that service would be restricted to those shops they had approved for warranty service only. I also did Carver warranty service and am used to being screamed and swore at because I couldn't release service information. I was bound by my word, and an NDA contract.

I would recommend you return your amplifier to the authorized warranty depot closest to you, or to the factory where it will be returned to a reliable as new condition. To have someone else attempt to service it would be to condemn the unit to the scrap pile. You really do have an advanced piece of audio equipment.

They stress that you shouldn't touch the speaker connections unless the unit is unplugged (or just off). I would say the same applies to the signal and remote connections as you might disturb the speaker connections. The same damage can occur if you move the speakers while the unit is running. If you have solid connections, you shouldn't have any problems, but an accident can always happen. Blowing equipment up happens with all makes of stereo amplifiers from moving things when the power is on.

Sorry, I know you don't like my answer, but it is the truth and I have seen the evidence to back it up.

-Chris
Old Today, 05:46 PM   #365
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Chris,
Quote:
Is there still sufficient terrestrial FM broadcasting in your area to justify that?
Yes, the dial is jammed full of radio stations here. I have several tuners, my best one is Revox B-261. FM is a great source of music and even the ads are sometimes helpful. Not often, but sometimes.

This particular tuner looks really cool, and it sounds nice. If they shut down the FM stations, I'll transmit my own stations for them. AM is also alive and well here. Between AM and FM you can find literally any type of programming you might desire. We are lucky here to still have a strong FM band.

Through alignment, I have this tuner delivering a little lower than 0.1% THD in mono. I suspect I can get it down even further with my planned upgrades. I'm starting right at the detector and moving towards the output following the audio path. It came with the original box too!

-Chris
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #366
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

If you need a good and cheap penetrating lube that doesn't dry out quickly, mix diesel with dextron...

Want something to coat your work tools with so that hot asphalt won't stick while you are working it......Mix diesel with Dexron ATF.

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!