Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What did you last repair??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2021, 04:02 AM   #1541
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

So 70's Pano!
And that tape - Rock the Boat! - nostalgia!
The dial lights - work LED's into it, it'll look sharp!
Old 21st April 2021, 09:11 PM   #1542
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Pano, too bad you couldn't get George's (Tubelab's) 6 X 9 speakers with the crushed velvet grille cloth. They'd have been a prefect match.

But on the other hand, all you have to do is sew that rip in your bell bottoms, polish those Keystone mags, and you're ready to go!
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:53 PM   #1543
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ha ha, a real nostalgia trip. It has connectors for external speakers but they are coaxial style connectors like we now use for power. Don't remember ever seeing that before.

The fix was for a friend. I need to get that tape back!
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:59 PM   #1544
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Michael,
That stuff is what I began my tech career with. Usually not too bad to fix. I'm surprised it didn't need a belt!

Anyway, I love it! I wouldn't use or listen to it, but I love it!

Just finishing a Carver M-4.0t on the bench. Was into another shop in the 'States and was not even close to running properly! I can't believe they released it - and to a foreign customer on top of that! I won't name the shop, but they are supposed to be a place that Bob Carver recommends.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:30 PM   #1545
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hey Michael,
That stuff is what I began my tech career with. Usually not too bad to fix. I'm surprised it didn't need a belt!
Anyway, I love it! I wouldn't use or listen to it, but I love it!
-Chris

Like nostalgia?

I mentioned that I recently worked on a cute little "toy" reel to reel from 1964.
Adorable little chassis, and built with all metal too. An ACME model 1500.

So then I recorded on it an appropriate message....
An original of - "Good morning Mister Phelps..... blah blah blah..... this tape will self destruct in five seconds, good luck Jim...."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acme1500LG.jpg (276.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:24 AM   #1546
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zenith View Post
Hey Pano, too bad you couldn't get George's (Tubelab's) 6 X 9 speakers with the crushed velvet grille cloth. They'd have been a prefect match.
But on the other hand, all you have to do is sew that rip in your bell bottoms, polish those Keystone mags, and you're ready to go!
Hey, real Naugahyde and Crushed Velvet from a Bean Bag Chair and Waterbed factory, scrap plywood from my neighbor's roof repair, some Jensen Triaxial speakers, and the best craftsmanship I could muster in 1974. What's not to like. They were my studio monitors until bought some "real" monitors in the 90's, Yamaha NS-10M Studios. I still have those.

I hade 4 of these, but some low life stole a pair out of my car right after they were made. These lived long and prospered until I had to move everything 1200 miles on about 3 weeks notice in 2014. These didn't make the cut, and that vintage blue foam surround was all over my driveway after a few minutes of my guitar playing.

Keystone.......I prefer Cragars. I still have a tie dyed Pink Floyd shirt around here somewhere. It came from the DSOTM tour stop in Hollywood Fl. (Miami) in 1972. No bellbottoms left though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (665.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:38 AM   #1547
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hey George!
We built so many boxes for 6x9 speakers in the 70's it wasn't funny. Your look pretty decent compared to many I've seen.

-Chris
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:44 PM   #1548
diyAudio Member

I built a lot of speakers during the two years that I ran the service department at an Olson's Electronics store. This was 1971 and 1972. The store was next door to the ticket office, and at the end of Frat house row at the University of Miami, a rather pricey private school. Olson's sold raw speaker drivers, some of which were pretty good. The Olson's branded guitar speakers were all made by Utah, and some of the HiFi drivers were made by Eminence.

The 6X9 car speakers in a box were popular in dorm rooms, and 4 X 12 inch Utahs were popular with the guitar players, but my brother stumbled onto our biggest hit quite by accident.

He stuck a single 15 inch Olson's by Eminence woofer in a box of about 4 or 5 cubic feet. This was long before the Saturday Night Fever days, but Latin Disco was already growing in Miami and that big box covered in some outlandish colored Naugahyde, Velvet, or even shag carpet put out a boom that was a hit on the dance floor.

My last go round with the portable box was made right about the same time that the 6X9 speaker boxes hit the trash, about 10 years ago. These are about the same size, but can eat the output of a 125WPC tube amp at full crank being used as the PA for an outdoor music concert. Guitars, vocals, and keyboards were all fed through them. We didn't mic the drums, nor feed the bass guitar to them as they were loud enough already. They are relatively flat to 75 Hz then drop like a rock. Several people asked how they were so loud. They were surprised to find that the total driver cost was $50 per speaker.

I use them to test amps that could blow a good speaker. I was cranking a TI class D EVB at near clipping (over 200 WPC) when one speaker started sounding funny. Autopsy revealed that the bolts holding the drivers in had loosened. A wrench and some Loctite made everything good again.

I also made some FH3's and EZ10's before leaving Florida. I still have the FH3's, but sold the EZ10's due to their size......wish I still had them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3990280_x.jpg (921.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg BYSL_2_A.jpg (584.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg SpeakerLabClosed_A.jpg (290.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 24th April 2021, 12:57 AM   #1549
diyAudio Member

I see in tubelab's photos something I also have...
That 1962 Magnavox twin-speaker AM/FM radio.

Mine's parked on a shelf right below my classic 1980 Panasonic Platnum Series boombox.
And did you know, that Magnavox was also a prop in the dining room shots on the Dick Van Dyke Show?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pana-platnumseries5600.JPG (101.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by wiseoldtech; 24th April 2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old 24th April 2021, 01:25 AM   #1550
diyAudio Member

I got that somewhere cheap many years ago. I have never taken the back off of it and it still works pretty good. It picks up both of the FM stations that can be received here in the basement. I had collected about 25 or 30 antique radios over 30 years or so of flea market, yard sale, and hamfest shopping. Most were bought for $5 or $10.

When my 41 year career was in Florida was winding down I started selling them off along with anything that I didn't want to move 1200 miles. Nobody wanted the old Maggie and it worked, so it's still here. I figured that it would die one day and I would see what's in it, but that hasn't happened yet.

There was a pirate radio station about two blocks away from me in Florida. I left the Maggie tuned to his frequency and turned on a lot just to see what he was up to. I rarely missed the live play along guitar lessons though. I could crank it up loud enough to be heard in their garage studio sometimes.

What did you last repair??Hide this!Advertise here!