If vinyl can make a come-back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I never thought I'd say this, but I am going to stick with digital and eventually invest in a reasonably priced DSLR when I decide it is time to take up photography as a serious hobby again. (It's relatively imminent and I've been looking at cameras)

I liked Ektachrome a lot as a teen amateur photographer, so I hope there is a market for it.

I did my degree in photography, all analogue - 35mm, medium and large format. The biggest difference for me between digital and analogue photography is the feedback time - you can look at the pictures while you still remember the decisions you made about depth of field, composition etc and learn from your mistakes. If you can take 100 shots, look at them within 10 minutes and take 100 more you're going to learn quicker and take better photos.
That said, I prefer a decent print from a 5x4 plate over digital any time.

For me, the biggest difference between analog and digital is the quality, mainly in compositions.
When I have had analogue cameras with expensive dia films, I thought much more before shoot an image. Then there wasn't any zoom objectives, as nowadays, yet I think I made better images, than now. Now you can shoot images without consequences. Sh1t. You shoot and shoot, the result is depressing.
I must have to say, if I made a good picture, it's just a coincidence.

DSLRs second hand are so affordable. Personally I've got a second hand Nicon D5300 which is brilliant. At 24MP the image quality will blow up to A1 with no pixelling.

The ability to shoot and review instantly will win the war eventually, leaving only the minority of die hards paying over the odds for film cameras.

Last edited:
Good thread. I have had 3 SLR/DSLR's: all Nikons. I waited too long to go to digital, I was saving up for the middle grade $1K+ Nikon DSLR because they can use my older generations of lenses. I remember that when I was buying my D300, another customer was buying an FM2! Batteries, who needs stinking batteries in 2009 :D. In any case, I wish I had gone digital earlier, because now all my engagement and wedding pictures are on film, and a hassle to get to. I don't know about the "never take a bad picture" comment, a D300 doesn't make a good picture trivial, but of course nowhere near the effort for film.

Zoomed in for hi-res view - very nice shot - any post processing / tweaking? Now that's something eminently easier in the all digital domain.

Hell, the cameras in some of the latest generations of smart phones are capable of stunning results, but in the end I think the lens is as important a component as the type / resolution/format size of the image media. This is only one of the areas where DSLR rule.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
You can still get (Fujifilm) Polaroid cameras and film too by the way. I've thought myself about getting back into film mainly because of the novelty of having an all analog medium and because of the possibility of an all-out thermonuclear war killing all electronics.

But once I wake up to myself only the novelty of film remains, still I do want to get into polaroid film and 35mm film again, I was once (a long time ago 2003?) into the Olympus OM system. I had an OM-10. Olympus OM-10 - Wikipedia

And the instax system is alive and well, still manufacturing brand new cameras and film to this day: Instax - Wikipedia

In 2014 it was reported that the Instax Mini 8 was outselling flagship models like the Fujifilm X-T1[14][15] and Sony α7R.
In 2016 it was reported that sales of Instax cameras had risen to 5 million units the previous fiscal year, up from 100,000 units in 2004.[16] Also that year, Fujifilm released a monochrome formulation of the film.[17]
And the Impossible Project is still alive and well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid_Originals

https://eu.polaroidoriginals.com/

Last edited:
I never thought I'd say this, but I am going to stick with digital and eventually invest in a reasonably priced DSLR when I decide it is time to take up photography as a serious hobby again. (It's relatively imminent and I've been looking at cameras)

I liked Ektachrome a lot as a teen amateur photographer, so I hope there is a market for it.

Definitely get a couple year old camera and dump the rest into glass. The ROI on modern cameras isn't so great. (Wildly outmoded, I still love the prints I get from my 5D)

A technical camera or where there's some inherent part of the film as the art itself are really the bastions of film. Of course nothing wrong with enjoying the medium or nostalgia or whatever.

As Simon wrote you learn so much faster how to take decent photos on digital because the feedback loop is so much tighter. So long as you're deliberate, of course. I flummoxed my uncle, who went to Brooks, with how quickly I picked up the basics of composition and seeing a picture form before even raising the camera to the eye. I've been similarly impressed by friends whom I've asked to join me on couple-hour photo explorations.

I'm not really sure I miss the old film days. I used to shoot with a pair of Olympus OM-2, but I had glass... 16mm. 25mm. all the way to 1000mm. I miss all that glass. I even processed some E-6 on a sailboat, to confirm my underwater pictures were good.

Couple years ago, my wife and I launched a project to scan all our old slides and negs. Used a Canon desktop scanner, and got some very nice images. Yes, backups.... For a while, digital cameras were pretty clunky, not nearly as nice to use as the old film cameras, but today my Canon is just fine to use, and it gets use quite often...

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I just dug out my mums old Canon Sureshot ZoomXL. You can still get 2CR5 6v 1500mAH batteries for it and there are a couple of R2CR5 batteries available aswell at a much lower capacity (500mAH).

The camera is top notch, everything is fully automatic and the zoom and focus and film rewind/wind-on is driven from internal motors. The camera lens itself produces fairly good pictures too. It wasn't a cheap camera by any stretch when mum bought it when she was visiting Germany in 1989.

Makes you wonder really why I'm doing this. A digital camera, even my phone camera, can better it any day, even my $200 Android phone (Lenovo A6020a40 even has HDR).

But I still wonder what this Ektachrome film is capable of.

Would I go as far as getting an Olympus OM again? Not sure. The lenses are sure worth it but getting a modern digital camera with the same lens capability is more than possible too.

The Canon Sureshot ZoomXL is probably functionally as close to a modern digital camera as a film camera can get, date stamps, fully automatic film rewind/wind, fully autozoom, fully autoflash, LCD shot counter display, remote control!.

YouTube
Canon Sure Shot Zoom XL/Prima Zoom F/Autoboy Zoom Super | Camerapedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia
The 39-85mm f/3.6-7.3 lens has 9 elements in 8 groups and power zooming. The optical quality is comparable to Canon FD interchangeable lenses.

At least the camera was free...

Last edited:
I remember being a poor apprentice and dreamed of owning a Nikon as used in the movie Blowup.
I now have an F Photomic and an F2, purchased for peanuts when they were sacrificed on the alter of progress. I'll never use them, they have joined the record players and tube amps, also purchased as obsolete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.