Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

quality of new threads going downhill
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 13th October 2017, 12:55 PM   #1
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Default quality of new threads going downhill

Am I the only one feeling that...?

Old 13th October 2017, 01:13 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes

Old 13th October 2017, 05:08 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Most new threads are almost copies of old threads. Sometimes this is because people do not do a search first. Other times they start a thread by saying "I have read all the threads on valve vs. SS (or CD vs. vinyl, or NOS vs. OS) and that has left me confused. Could someone tell me which is really best?".

Old 13th October 2017, 05:14 PM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I find the best way to do a search here is via google and sometimes adding diyaudio if I'm not directed to this site, which I usually am. Often people are impatient to get a specific answer to their specific question and are not willing to take the time to do proper research

Old 13th October 2017, 05:19 PM   #5
famousmockingbird is offline famousmockingbird  United States
diyAudio Member

Old vs. New. Which is really better?

I have read old threads and new threads and can't come to any conclusion which is best.

The old threads seem to be a bit warmer and have a certain magic to them. The new threads have lower distortion and better efficiency but lack the warmth and magic.

Old 13th October 2017, 05:22 PM   #6
hitsware is offline hitsware
diyAudio Member

This one being a prime example.

Old 13th October 2017, 05:26 PM   #7
richardr is offline richardr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Search mechanism is not too hot

It is easy to NOT find what you are looking for. The suggestion that Google does a better job above means that searching the forum with forum tools is poor. I personally, have found that searching a title outside the forum and then finding a way into the forum discussion is the easiest way to get the most information. I find it frustrating at times.

Old 13th October 2017, 05:27 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Once a thread is of a certain age unless the topic is truly timeless or the thread has remained relatively active it really often does make sense to start a new one.

The quality of any given thread is entirely at the mercy of the OP and those who choose to participate, there are many very high quality threads being started all over the forum at any given time. Surprisingly some of these threads are widely ignored serving as a place for a very small number of people to converse on the topic at hand.

Certain members are known for creating a lot of low value threads and resurrecting ones better left dead, not much we can do about that unless it is egregious.

If you think the quality of new threads in general is going downhill you can help buck the trend by starting and participating in better ones.

Old 13th October 2017, 05:34 PM   #9
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with above, some new threads are repeats of old ones...
There is another specifics of some threads which bugs me...starter of the thread asks question, and then is completely oblivious to answers. Asks more questions just showing more ignorance...
I know no one knows everything and everyone had to start somewhere, but there should be some level of competency before asking a questions.

Old 13th October 2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Another problem searching threads is this:

http://www diyaudio com...Poor Use of Thread Titles

Last edited by Ultima Thule; 13th October 2017 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread

quality of new threads going downhillHide this!Advertise here!