quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we are going to disagree on the statements above. You appear to have already firmly decided what you believe in the above areas. In that case, arguing with you would not likely be productive. More likely to provoke backfire effect.
My audio electronics belief is based on scientific facts (measurements, DBT by the experts). Yours is based on speculations and imagination. I know this because I used to be like that myself.

Ken you are being liberal with the name, lighting the fuse on a stick of dynamite becomes over unity.

I was just reading the thread without the intention to answer, but...

Calling nuclear fusion or fission processes "over unity" is more than being liberal with the name - it is plainly wrong.

Neither fission nor fusion violates conservation of energy. It might look like it does, but only if you happen to forget to include nucleon binding energies into the bill. If you do, it's quite boring: no net gain of energy, conservation laws fulfilled, nothing to whine about... :D

Regards,
Rundmaus

Someone once told me that a coal-fired power station spreads more radioactivity around its neighbourhood (in the exhaust plume) than a nuclear station. This is because, like almost everything, coal is slightly radioactive but not subject to nuclear controls.

Curiously, when the media want to illustrate the 'pollution' from a power station they always show pictures of water vapour from the cooling towers! Nasty stuff, water. Drink too much of it and you die.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A tangential drift to this theme:

Headline: "Americans are so disillusioned by social media, that many are turning to forums for trustworthy information.
Article

But it goes on to lament familiar forum flaws. Better navigation. Easier engagement with experts. Reputation issues. And compensation for expert content.

The survey has a hard bias: released by tapatalk, a forums-tool. Who are promoting a hyper-forum concept with unification and compensation.

Download report (wants email and name)

This is already going on here. DIY audio is a commercial platform. It’s name is a bit misleading. It encourages and facilitates commerce by anyone: there are no formal quality controls or reviews or anything like that. So it’s about building things and buying kits and books with no particular regard to efficacy. It’s also about product support and marketing.

Within this free-for-all the membership does contain some very knowledgeable people who don’t seek remuneration and aren’t selling anything. Some formal praise for them would be nice. A difficulty is that there is no curation of this information so the site is an inefficient resource for design expertise. There is no quality control. Whatever Nelson Pass’ goals are for this site, education probably isn’t the highest on his list.

My experience is that this gets reported daily. The membership has a 1000 eyes and are not shy to use them. And I doubt the membership knows even 1/10th of the spam that gets posted here. Most of it disappears before you even see it.

When I first started on here i noticed many links to items on ebay.
I assumed they were people selling their own stuff so i put one of my ebay items in a thread. It got immediately jumped on by moderators.

So it seems many hundreds of ebay items get through which is ok as long as its not the message writer selling them !
I was told that a link in my signature was fine but not allowed in threads messages.

This forum is a conversation, not a consultancy. There are experts here, but you have to decide who they are. This forum contains lots of useful information, but it is not a textbook or a library.

A few years ago we had a problem with newbies trying to write tutorial threads (and so showing how much they still had to learn about electronics) or trying to provoke others into answering their specific questions in a tutorial manner (and so showing how much they still had to learn about economics). For some reason we see less of this nowadays. We still sometimes get people trying to cheat on their homework assignments.

That will not be discussed here. (Rules). But you can always contact a moderator with questions or problems
FWIW links to eBay items are allowed in the Swap Meet area.
I don't see any rule about discussing the rules.

Here's a rule: "Posting overtly commercial information or advertising in non-commercial forums. (Note 4) Using the private messaging system or email to make unsolicited commercial advances is not allowed."

So why is this constantly allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.