quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for getting women into audio, why bother? Seriously my wife likes music, enough to have invested in B&O electronics before I met her much to the distain of her brother I should add. Music is what bonds us and the only reason I DIY things. She is very comfortable with the term 'WAF' as well as being referred to as SWMBO. I don't think our relationship is abnormal.

Yep, I'm inclined to agree. An interest in audio is an indicator of male autism. I have spent my whole life trying to convince women of the wonders of male autism, and have never had even the slightest glimmer of interest. And yes, I too think SWMBO is really cool, especially living here in what is a matriarchal society. When women talk, I listen. Makes life a lot easier and pleasant, too. :)

It seems there is not a clear definition of 'toxic masculinity' out there and academics are still arguing over it. So I'll accept that some men are arseh*les and many aren't and leave it at that.

Maybe sometime you could explain darts to me. The sight of a pot bellied 50 something guy with a pink and orange Mohawk with 100's of fans cheering him on (everyone enjoying some brew) is something else.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I used to play darts as a student. But do not understand the big darts championships. I was rubbish at darts but the more I drank the better I played up till the point I couldn't focus on the board anymore. I believe in the 80s pro darts players had about 9 pints before a game to 'steady their hand'. Sport it ain't :)..

for many, this forum is a little scary. I’ve heard from some but there are probably many. They find it intimdating when they see people pounced on by the holier than though technical experts (we know who they are). And with the proliferation of Chinese copy cats those with knowledge are reluctant to give it freely. Many projects are too difficult or time consuming for newcomers who may as well buy it from ePay.

for many, this forum is a little scary. I’ve heard from some but there are probably many. They find it intimdating when they see people pounced on by the holier than though technical experts (we know who they are). And with the proliferation of Chinese copy cats those with knowledge are reluctant to give it freely. Many projects are too difficult or time consuming for newcomers who may as well buy it from ePay.

You know, there's nothing wrong with calling out the "holier than thou" crowd. Being smart and being an ahole are not mutually exclusive.

I actually think good content is going up, but noise is going up more. A lot of stuff is getting explored that nobody would have picked this forum to discuss 15 years ago, and rightly so.

Interesting point about societal factors. I hadn't thought about those identified, but agree they are probably big factors.

Nothing wrong with the ebay crowd. In fact sometimes I think I use my iron too much. Many different angles to approach this hobby, with nothing "right" or "wrong".

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
What I will say is that toxic masculinity is not a first world problem, it is a global problem
Considering how people treat each other in Africa/Asia/Middle East/South America I'm not really sure that we have much to worry about in all of the first world countries. I really don't think we should concern ourselves that much about it, one thing that we do in Western society is worry too much.

The way people are treated in general are correlated towards financial success of a civilization. There are plenty of examples of peaceful civilizations without money or wealth at all and some examples of tribes with incredible wealth such as gold and rubys who simply have no use for a pretty rock or metal with an imaginary wealth associated to said object. It doesn't have to be that we place a value on human life. A thought process if you will to show you an example of why money is bad in more ways than one.

Money and wealth can enslave someone or it can set them free. But the fact is that money is just a value that we set to some inanimate object that is devoid of consciousnesses. Except that isn't actually accurate today, we set a value to literally everything in our modern society, including people. Which I believe is wrong. What I'm trying to get to here really is that, if you want to save the world then consider living a bartering lifestyle where no one single individual can obtain sufficiently enough wealth to have power over another person beyond what you can pay for simple labor and tasks to be done. To do that you need to grow your own food, pay land taxes with said growth of food, have a house that will outlive you, own a boring Camry. etc.

And yes, diyaudio can be cheap - I'm real cheap - but not all of us can afford or possess a workshop full of power tools, or even a garage or a garden with a shed. I am so darn lucky to have a hayloft in a barn.

ToS
That is my dream too actually, of diyaudio becoming a more frugal source of ideas and inventions. I've had that belief for many many years and might try at some point to introduce some projects which will help and aid people in various methods of protecting oneself when/if we do have another economic collapse and doing so while maintaining a good source of audio fidelity. There is no reason technically, aside from financially, that a homeless person cannot setup a small bluetooth speaker and mini wireless television and watch netflix just like the rest of us can, in 4k I might add, there are lots of 4k hdmi displays floating around, but on the sidewalk of some city street. I mean if he programs the device to disable itself if it ever gets stolen, and integrates GPS tracking into the device through the use of an arduio or rasberry pi, he can easily track it down and reclaim it. And to prevent further thefts he can make one for his friend, making himself money. People who are homeless don't necesserially have no money, they don't have a home and can't afford one where they are.

And if you're worried about battery life expectancy, don't be, Lifepo4 has really saved our butts on that one. 2000 cycles, 5000 if you baby them.

There are plenty of things that you can do with a battery powered dremel. For ideas simply look up electronics projects for kids/teens, who often don't have enough money for anything.

A good example of that is the famous Sydney panhandler who accepts donations via CC/paywave.

So no matter how bad things ever get, there will always be diyaudio, its just going to end up going down towards a microcosm scale.

Someone here could easily jump on the whole little house minimalism craze and start building tube amps and speakers which run for a period of time off of solar power and provide excellent acoustic performance in a house the size of a 7x4 trailer. There, I just gave the forum an idea that they can use, free of charge without a catch. For the rest of us poor folk we can use chip amps.

Here is just one example:
ARDUINO WIRELESS HOME SECURITY SYSTEM: 11 Steps (with Pictures)

What is really nice about the 433.92MHz transmitter is that you can monitor them using a Baofeng UV-5R or any dual band handheld transceiver. I personally have had good luck with at least 300 meters of distance away from a simple Nelson MY218WR. :cool:

As for keeping or discarding the "WAF" acronym. Why not simply replace it with "DAF?" or Dog Acceptance Factor. Though obtaining valid feedback from a dog might result in some strange looking inventions from some of our members. I none the less welcome the results of said experiments so that I can use them myself if/when I buy a dog of my own.

quality of new threads going downhill

Thank you very much for your kind words scott wurcer :) Have a merry christmas the lot of you! and a happy new year.

I'm still waiting for next payday, so that I can buy a car Lifepo4 starter battery. So haven't really got much to add to the forum aside from saying hello to my good friends.

Last edited:
That is my dream too actually, of diyaudio becoming a more frugal source of ideas and inventions. I've had that belief for many many years and might try at some point to introduce some projects which will help and aid people in various methods of protecting oneself when/if we do have another economic collapse and doing so while maintaining a good source of audio fidelity. There is no reason technically, aside from financially, that a homeless person cannot setup a small bluetooth speaker and mini wireless television and watch netflix just like the rest of us can, in 4k I might add, there are lots of 4k hdmi displays floating around, but on the sidewalk of some city street. I mean if he programs the device to disable itself if it ever gets stolen, and integrates GPS tracking into the device through the use of an arduio or rasberry pi, he can easily track it down and reclaim it. And to prevent further thefts he can make one for his friend, making himself money. People who are homeless don't necesserially have no money, they don't have a home and can't afford one where they are.

That's a weird dream indeed, generally those living on the streets need food, warmth, and medication, rather than the alcohol they rely on to ease the pain, I'm not sure music will do the trick.

mental health is the big issue, nobody lives on the street because it's the smart thing to do, and unlike physical wellbeing, mental health is difficult. Music maybe an excellent option for some people, once they are off the street that is.

I lived on a city centre street for many years surrounded by homeless people, and got to know quite a few of them as friends. They all said the same things. They hated being homeless, it was something that catastrophically happened, and all they wanted was a roof over their heads again. Many a time I felt the only difference between me and them was the rented roof over my head. It is a subject I could talk about for hours......

Since then times have changed, and like everyone else, every homeless person has a mobile phone, packed with music, video clips, pictures, emails and texts. And there are homeless people, migrants, and refugees all over the world living amongst us with the same technology to hand. And why not?

As for diyaudio - yes, I can imagine that it was all very different 15 years ago, and it will, like the rest of the world, be very different in another 15 years time from now. People die all the time. When the American cinema industry went digital and dumped all their Western Electric kit on the open market, it was the Japanese, collectors of a certain age, who snapped it all up. They are dying off now, and their children do not want or need massive horns and valve amps. They have earbuds and FLAC players - just like everyone else. So by way of my example, the demographics of audio (and like all other interests) are always in a constant state of flux. Perhaps this reflects why the members lounge is what it has become, and is all the better for it.

Me? I lurked here at diyaudio for nearly a year before diving in, and even now, I'm still not entirely at ease with a certain set who don't seem to understand that this is an open public forum - not a private members club equipped with brown cardigans, tartan carpet slippers and oscilloscopes.

ToS

Homelessness is actually an interesting topic. I remember reading something that discussed a bit about that big revolution a few years back when sociologists figured many things that had been analyzed assuming a bell curve distribution actually were best described using a power law distribution. Homelessness was in this category.

We have quite a bit of working homeless here in Calgary. Quite sad.

I would be interested to learn more from you about the homeless

My alma mater, while not quite noted for its prowess in the scientific realm long these many years, has a tremendously prodigious clinical psyche program. One of the gals (since departed) was convinced that when New York State reduced its programs in psych hospitals the homeless would flood New York City. It came true. Governor Nelson Rockefeller's legacy. In San Fran the problem is of epic proportions.

Homelessness
is a very expensive problem to tackle with effective policy, effective policy is expensive, but it must be dealt with nonetheless.

Sensory Processing in Autism: A Review of Neurophysiologic Findings
In general, the neurophysiologic study of auditory processing in autism does suggest atypical neural activity as early in the processing stream as the primary auditory cortex. However, as Whitehouse and Bishop suggest, these difference may be a result of top-down inhibitory processes mediating encoding and early sound processing (24). As we learn more, we may be able to predict the nature of the atypical cortical activity by defining the etiology of the individual's ASD, such that children with Fragile X may show one form of cortical differences while children with 16p11 duplications may show another form. It is probable that the atypical processing is related to the unusual behavioral responses so commonly observed in children on the autism spectrum such as covering of the ears to seemingly benign sounds such as the vacuum cleaner and the blender. Furthermore, one might conjecture that if the auditory input is perceived as unpleasant or noxious, affected individuals will learn to avoid auditory input, and thus curtail the learning that comes from listening to the people and world around them. Comprehension of the potentially atypical auditory processing in children with autism may be key to parsing different etiologies of autism, targeting treatments to children with auditory hyper/hypo-sensitivities, and ameliorating overwhelming auditory sensory input to facilitate learning.

Don't know about you Pano, but I can certainly relate to some of this. I've had to add some acceptance rules to my behavioural patterns and also "block out" the sounds, so I would not react so much to someone for instance filling a glass of water in another floor. It would annoy me to no end hearing just the tinyest sound disturbance while listening to music. I still go out of the house during vacuuming.

Edit:
Not saying it's a fact, but maybe there are some points to consider.

Last edited:
What? Is that an official thing listed in the DSM? Seems sketchy to me.

I had to look up 'DSM' to see what it meant. No, I don't think autism is a disorder as such. I see it as a natural part of the broad spectrum of human behaviour. Obviously, there are degrees of autism, and what I casually describe as 'male autism' is the concern a lot of men have about measurements within shall we say, 'fields of endeavour' that are beyond, or just - slightly - beyond the perceptual realm of the senses. And I'm completely comfortable with that.

It would annoy me to no end hearing just the tinyest sound disturbance while listening to music. I still go out of the house during vacuuming.

I can relate to that. Hearing Christmas music in supermarkets makes me feel ill to the point of having full blown panic attacks. Or the sounds of television, I really dislike all forms of background music. I like foreground music that makes me totally surrender to its beauty, and that includes all the sounds of nature. I love the sounds of the engine of my pickup truck, it's a gigantic beast that purrs and growls. I like noisy children. I cannot stand the sound of power tools. My favourite sounds are of women singing - look up 'Boocheemish' and weep.

ToS

VenusFly said:
If you seriously enjoy listening to music with NF turned on then you are missing the point of listening to music at all.
You appear to be insisting that everyone must like your favourite apple pie recipe. What if we find it far too sweet? I remember some years ago an American chap at our church brought along some American cake to celebrate something (I forget what it was). He was telling us the that the cake was authentic, just the way Americans liked it. It was horrible! Sickly sweet, gooey sticky icing, not my sort of cake at all.

A kid laughs because he is being entertained, I've never seen a kid laughing in class while studying arithmetic, same deal with an adult and his music, you're listening to it because it makes you feel good. Unless you're autistic in which case all bets are off.
I have been known to smile when I finally 'get' some deep or beautiful maths understanding. Maybe I am strange. Maybe I am autistic.

tapestryofsound said:
As an expression 'toxic masculinity' has been around since the end of the last century as part of feminist discussion,
I am not entirely certain what is meant by 'toxic masculinity', but I suspect it may be one of those problems which feminism has helped create by dismissing the traditional male roles of provider and protector. Men are men, and if they cannot find a legitimate use for their maleness they will find other uses which are less helpful. I am not excusing some appallingly bad behaviour from some men, who have become predator instead of protector; such people have always existed.

My wife likes listening to music, but she has absolutely no interest in the technology (even complaining that my speakers are too big) and is puzzled when she learns that a few women are interested. She cannot understand why a woman would want to be interested in wires etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
My wife likes listening to music, but she has absolutely no interest in the technology (even complaining that my speakers are too big) and is puzzled when she learns that a few women are interested. She cannot understand why a woman would want to be interested in wires etc.

That terrifies me about women. To think that a living organism can not possibly be interested in wires and/or anything besides capturing a "provider" such as a man and enslaving them by having a child with them, that is terrifying to me. I know quite a few women who have no interest whatsoever in anything that a man does, doesn't matter if its got to do with audio or not, yet they are the kindest and nicest people I've ever met, they simply don't care that a man is working on something, yet you will find a long list of men who are interested in what you are doing. Instead what they do is they fein interest in your hobbies until such times as they can come across a piece of information which is valuable to them. Just like a predator would.

Fact of the matter is, a nice person is no indicator of someone who is genuinely interested in your hobbies, its lying, its faking interest.

And women either use it against you or they tell that information to someone else, I've had men do the same thing to me too, behind your back and use it against you in that way. Assuming their intentions are hostile, which they most often are. But even if their intentions are not hostile, it appears that the woman's sole intent of listening into what you are doing is so that he/she can accuse you of doing something wrong later on. Because of course all men are pure evil and anything that they do is bad.

The whole backstabbing thing has to stop and the only way that I can see it stopping is if nobody has anything of value to steal.

I can't imagine how a man can possibly want to be in a relationship and/or live with someone who has no interest in what they do. And I suspect that the **** storm which feminism is creating currently in our society will prove once and for all that a large percentage of men AND women are in reality vile and vicious animals and not interested in anything at all besides conquering and destroying one another. I suspect that this is how previous societies and civilizations in our history have collapsed.

Just like how you have to be a psychopath to be a stockbroker or banker. I think we will find out that a large percentage of the population of our society is/are psychopaths as well. Because we have found through evolution that being a psychopath is beneficial to our species survival.

The wolf or any predator animal would do such a similar thing. A domesticated dog wouldn't. Because through hundreds of years of in/crossbreeding the domesticated dog is no longer a wolf, but the wolf instincts still remain deeply embedded in the genome of a domesticated dog, its just that those genes are supressed for as long as the dog has a roof over their heads and a belly full of food.

But if you take away that food and the roof, the domesticated dog quickly eats its owner's foot off.

In contrast to an autistic person, which will gladly sit there and starve to death, because he/she is too kind and too troubled with actual real problems, such as solving Fermat's Theorem, to care about where their next meal comes from. Hence you then get homelessness.

Autistic people, if you ask me, are the true human beings, "normal" human beings are people who are so hopelessly full of serotonin that their conscious mind is targeting the poor weak and defenseless people in our society, stealing from them, and then pretending like they did nothing wrong, they justify their own behavior in a million different ways. And these normal people do this exact thing thousands of times a year. Hence why you are getting people who don't care about the environment, driving SUVs, overpopulating the planet, and constantly working in a job which will never provide them with a home of their own.

If you ask me, "normal" people have kept autistic people under their thumbs for thousands of years and used them to their own advantages.

if you still don't believe me that this is true, just look at the massive conglomerate that is the US defence budget. Normal people are so terrified of a foreign country that they are willing to destroy our own planet just to get even with someone else. The only thing that "normal" people want to do is conquer other countries, kill people in the millions, and destroy/rape the land at any opportunity that they can get.

After realizing that, I'm not too fond of "normal" people and would gladly live a life of solitude if it were possible. But of course that isn't realistically possible and I must maintain a positive attitude and mental status.

That is one constant which I have always found with "normal" people, due to their extremely high serotonin levels, they are always looking for a piece of information to use against you, they are constantly at war with each other, they are always beginning a fight or ending it, and their conscious mind is constantly looking for the next rush, the next hit of adrenalin, just so that they can feel alive. When "normal" people feel pain they don't actually register it or change their behavior, unlike any autistic person who would cower at the first sign or suggestion of fear. That mechanism which prevents "normal" people from feeling pain is what is causing such incredible destruction and financial distress in society, that is a high serotonin level, that is psychopathic behavior.

And the scary part about all of this is that "normal" people consider that kind of behavior from other people to be considered "normal".

The meek shall inherit the earth, makes sense to me now. Because that is probably all that will be left once "normal" people kill themselves off in the next world war.

Last edited:
VenusFly said:
I can't imagine how a man can possibly want to be in a relationship and/or live with someone who has no interest in what they do.
Actually, it is quite nice. For years I suffered from people regarding me as 'the clever one'; not the interesting one, or the funny one, or the reliable one. My wife is not particularly interested in how clever I am; she just likes me for who I am, not what I can do.

Any comment from me on most of the rest of your post would quickly become too political or too religious for this forum so I will hold my tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.