Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

quality of new threads going downhill
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #771
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

This is already going on here. DIY audio is a commercial platform. It’s name is a bit misleading. It encourages and facilitates commerce by anyone: there are no formal quality controls or reviews or anything like that. So it’s about building things and buying kits and books with no particular regard to efficacy. It’s also about product support and marketing.

Within this free-for-all the membership does contain some very knowledgeable people who don’t seek remuneration and aren’t selling anything. Some formal praise for them would be nice. A difficulty is that there is no curation of this information so the site is an inefficient resource for design expertise. There is no quality control. Whatever Nelson Pass’ goals are for this site, education probably isn’t the highest on his list.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #772
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

"Posting overtly commercial information or advertising in non-commercial forums"....is against the rules, however, it is very vague and open to interpretation. My interpretation is that this rule is broken all the time
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #773
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yeah, but it's 10^6 time better in here than on faceplant or twatter...
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

I'll have to take your word for it
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #775
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
My interpretation is that this rule is broken all the time
My experience is that this gets reported daily. The membership has a 1000 eyes and are not shy to use them. And I doubt the membership knows even 1/10th of the spam that gets posted here. Most of it disappears before you even see it.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #776
diyAudio Member

That's good to know, thanks, I imagine you already have too much to do, so I'm not going to start reporting stuff too, I like to fight my own battles...
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #777
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
My experience is that this gets reported daily. The membership has a 1000 eyes and are not shy to use them. And I doubt the membership knows even 1/10th of the spam that gets posted here. Most of it disappears before you even see it.
When I first started on here i noticed many links to items on ebay.
I assumed they were people selling their own stuff so i put one of my ebay items in a thread. It got immediately jumped on by moderators.

So it seems many hundreds of ebay items get through which is ok as long as its not the message writer selling them !
I was told that a link in my signature was fine but not allowed in threads messages.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #778
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That will not be discussed here. (Rules). But you can always contact a moderator with questions or problems
FWIW links to eBay items are allowed in the Swap Meet area.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #779
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

This forum is a conversation, not a consultancy. There are experts here, but you have to decide who they are. This forum contains lots of useful information, but it is not a textbook or a library.

A few years ago we had a problem with newbies trying to write tutorial threads (and so showing how much they still had to learn about electronics) or trying to provoke others into answering their specific questions in a tutorial manner (and so showing how much they still had to learn about economics). For some reason we see less of this nowadays. We still sometimes get people trying to cheat on their homework assignments.

quality of new threads going downhillHide this!Advertise here!