quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posts 14 and 21 make this discussion worth it for me!

I kept using the search mechanism in diyAudio.com. I tried Google with diyAudio.com and the subject and the results were far better than the search mechanism. Maybe the search mechanism ought to just be an explanation of how to search using diyAudio.com and using google. I had assumed that the internal search was better.

Just 2 more cents from me:

I doubt more subforums would help in any way. The vampires post whatever wherever they want.

I also wonder when this many people are discussing "bad threads", if it means something different to every person participating in this thread. To me, the real energy sucking threads are vampire posts where you eventually have to argue with the vampire that they are simply wrong.

Have the mods ever considered doing exit interviews with the more respected people who truly left or just stopped contributing? This is a small group, and might be difficult because some of them cited issues they had with certain mods, but the bitter pill just might be the cure.

I've tried to open a thread on the linearization by servo-control of an electrodynamic loudspeaker through a passive control (of port-controlled Hamiltonian system)... nobody has responded :D

Just 2 more cents from me:

I doubt more subforums would help in any way. The vampires post whatever wherever they want.

I also wonder when this many people are discussing "bad threads", if it means something different to every person participating in this thread. To me, the real energy sucking threads are vampire posts where you eventually have to argue with the vampire that they are simply wrong.

Have the mods ever considered doing exit interviews with the more respected people who truly left or just stopped contributing? This is a small group, and might be difficult because some of them cited issues they had with certain mods, but the bitter pill just might be the cure.

But there's always someone to complain about something :D

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
People are free to come and go as the please, as long as they obey the rules. Some people flounce out, only to return later.

Banned members are rare and all have serious rule violations, usually multiple episodes. It's kinda hard to get yourself banned, unless you're a spammer or threaten someone with violence. Those are dealt with swiftly. The forum is a better place for it.

People are free to come and go as the please, as long as they obey the rules. Some people flounce out, only to return later.

Banned members are rare and all have serious rule violations, usually multiple episodes. It's kinda hard to get yourself banned, unless you're a spammer or threaten someone with violence. Those are dealt with swiftly. The forum is a better place for it.

That's a bit facile, whether intentional or not. Somebody like MJK leaving didn't warrant an exit interview?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are free to contact anyone and do your own survey. Perhaps you'll learn something or convince someone to come back.

But no, there isn't generally an "Exit Interview" when people leave. We often don't know they are leaving, unless they make a big fuss about it. In that case, yes, we do try to understand what the problem is and do what we can about it. Often the problem is resolved, sometimes there is nothing to be done.

There is a constant stream of complaints from members about other members, some of it legit, some just bizarre. We do what we can and lament the loss of certain members who chose to leave. The mods are forum members, too, and we appreciate talent as much as anyone.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
generally - every modern board is having that possibility , Admins and mods can see PMs

is that possibility turned On , that's Board Team decision

however , it's matter of trust ...I feel that anyone can see what I'm writing in my PMs (meaning - I have no bloody secrets) and , in same time , I strongly believe that Admins and Mods aren't interested in smallest amount to read neither mine nor anyone else messages

usually - they already have enough on their hands to take care off , working strictly voluntarily

Another suggestion:
Too often members start a new thread on a subject discussed multiple times before because it seems to be easier for them to get the required information this way instead of doing a proper search ("I'm lazy you know..."). They don't take the effort to do a proper search by stating that threads are too long, and they want quick answers.
Over time forums become huge data banks, and by proper searching (within forums or "googling") it is perfectly possible to acquire the information instead of "asking by opening a new thread". IMO forum threads are primarily meant to exchange ideas and discuss topics.
By opening these redundant threads a forum gets polluted; the same discussions can be found over and over again.
Moderation should be aware of this unwelcome phenomenon and provide rules to prevent this from happening. Otherwise forums become monstruous.

Status
Not open for further replies.