MCM Electronics closing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read this little blurb on my home town local news site (WHIO) today. I'm not sure of the size of MCM or if they have other locations, but it sounds like they are folding their tent although the article never said this explicitly.

"MCM Electronics Inc. will lay off employees at its corporate office located at 650 Congress Park Drive in Centerville, and at its distribution center located at 405 S. Pioneer Blvd. in Springboro. Both facilities will also close, according to a WARN notice sent to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services."

This affects me more than most of you, since I work there. If you want some more info, I'll be glad to talk through PM.

Wanted to clear something up in the meantime. We've been a part of Premier Farnell plc since 1996. Avnet purchased Premier Farnell last year.

This affects me more than most of you, since I work there. If you want some more info, I'll be glad to talk through PM.

Wanted to clear something up in the meantime. We've been a part of Premier Farnell plc since 1996. Avnet purchased Premier Farnell last year.

Now gone ...

MCM welcome to Newark | Newark element14

search.aspx?M=01003269

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-01-18-45-57.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-01-18-45-57.png
    124 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
MCM by by

So sadly MCM is gone. MCM has been owned Premier Farnell who alos owns Newark Electronics aka NewarkInOne and Element 14 which was Chicago based until they became UK based company for 20 years. They were bought by Avnet last year and started closing up shop. Newark is not replacing employees as they leave or retire and closing branches. Working there for 25 years you get to see a lot of changes. Sadly the end users, small mom and pop, onsie builders lost their honey hole for parts and tools.

Monopolies , globalization - it's a quick race the bottom.
MCM was my Radio shack replacement . Let's hope Texas Mouser
does not fail next.

As things monopolize , quality goes down/price goes up/selection decreases.
PS - I am returning my 3rd microwave oven since 6/17 , magic chef ... panasonic.. to get a 4th ????

now a Oster - all Alibaba garbage magnetrons. Argg

Last edited:
Good to see you again OS.

Your are preach'in to the choir again there!

Sadly, we are seeing one of the problems of capitalism. Someone starts gobbling up another mom and pop, then small stores, then larger stores and the greed doesn't end until the capitalist sells out his own mother and father.

He'll do anything for a buck. All the good stuff America used to make, well the big guys sold it south of the boarder or overseas to get a bigger bonus.

It does take some washingtonites to grow so balls! Heck the'll sell out the country to get free trips and money from the lobbiests, etc.

And I've got no idea how these communal type people think they can tax their way to a better society, hand out more stuff (make people dependent).

We just need some more free thinking DIYers to make a difference. One what ever the thing a ma jig at a time. We'll figure it out and make it better!

Com'on folks let's make so moe stuff better and better!

Heck we've got em where we want em now any way. We'll be the only ones how to think enough to build, troubleshoot and improve. :cheers:

I used to look forward to this "brave new world"and thise wonderful tech I am now using.

Initially , it helped the "mom and pop's". Then , some mom and pop's ( the waldons/ walmart) saw it as the fast road to the ultimate power grab. So , technology - instead of enriching us ... seems to be enslaving us to global powers.

More choice was promised ,but the local ACE hardware has more variety than Lowes. Larger scale, but with no heart. Booo ! Internet sales are the exception , unlimited choice. This might be the only advantage. Personally , I buy nearly nothing at Walmart/Lowes or any other big name outlets - 2-3X the price of EBAY.

OS

MCM gone for good..

While the MCM name was always owned by Newark Electronics, Newark was gobbled up by Avnet and newark still exists but they are not company like MCM was to cater to us mom and pop DIYers, the parent company does not like employee purchases either so my 25 year connection is gone. Sadly the mom and pop stores that relied on stocking from MCM is hurt too, so I find myself shopping on eBay and its Chinese junk and do not get me wrong, most everything comes from steel shipping containers via China but there was service at MCM too which I enjoyed.

Parts Express started out very similar to MCM. In the early days, their offerings were nearly identical. But some time around ‘90, PE seems to have shifted its focus to distribution of raw speaker drivers - probably to fill the void left when McGee finally bit the big one. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall in the A/V service biz. Their house brand (Dayton Audio) seems to have survived and done well. They are selling what people will buy. But gone are the days of being able to get any Japanese transistor on the planet, and you can’t get a fly back transformer, tripler, or a drive belt if you wanted one.

Thanks wg_ski.

I had to order from four different websites recently to update my analog setup.

Newark was not one of them, but I looked.

What's the story on All-Spec?

Was looking at some contact cleaners, antistatic treatments and antistatic brushes but was able to get want I wanted bundled elsewhere.

The 20 percent restocking fee kind of scared me away.

Not that I've ever returned anything but MCM took care of me when a tweeter arrived damaged years ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.