Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Flat Earth has been a subject of study for me for almost 20 years. I've done research at the library of congress and the British library. I have been to the site of some of the most famous experiments in England and reproduced some of them there. I was actually kicked out of the Flat Earth Society (but not for reasons you might think). There was also a Hollow Earth belief. I've been to those sites and seen the experimental apparatus, too.

It's surprising to me to see all the new interest in the Flat Earth. Until recently it was hardly ever talked about, at least not in technical terms. But now it's all over the Interwebs, especially YouTube.

One of the most fascinating parts of this over the years is how strongly held are Globular beliefs, with no direct evidence. By that I mean that the vast majority of people believe that the Earth is a globe, with no direct experience of it being so. Very few people, maybe 150 or so, have ever actually seen the curvature of the Earth. To the rest of us, it appears flat as a pancake. No, you can't see the curvature from a commercial airliner at 37,000 feet or the top of a high mountain (I've checked many times.) Yet we believe not our own eyes, our own experience, but what we've been taught - and without question. Fascinating.

No need for a Concorde, which hasn't flown in years because of the flaming disaster on one flight, and the cost of fuel for a flight.

The curvature can be plainly observed on a high altitude (long distance) flight on any modern jetliner.

I personally have circumnavigated the globe on one very long flight involving a few 747's and visited the other side. Flying over that ice ledge and hanging that abrupt U-turn without flying off into deep space was rough, but the Singapore Airlines pilot had it together. Most of the passengers slept right through it. The earth isn't completely flat, but bent like a potato chip. That explains the curvature seen in these pictures taken on an Alaska Airlines flight somewhere over northern Montana according to the GPS in my Android tablet......

Oh , wait a minute......GPS requires a bunch of low earth orbit satellites.....How do satellites orbit over the potato chip.......I guess they are all drones being flown by NASA.

Our network TV signals get to the individual TV stations the same way that Dish, DirecTV and others get to us, by satellites orbiting in a geosynchronous orbit over a round object...... No that can't be true since it wad dreamed up by the same guy who gave us 2001, A Space Odyssey.....it's ALL science fiction.

Here are a few pictures I took on a flight from Florida to Seattle. Note, I did not have a camera on the trip to Singapore so I don't have any pictures from the other side:)

The 4th picture is focused to reveal that the fuzziness growing on the right side of the airplane window are ice crystals......we got too close to the ice wall!

Attachments

• P1000030_x.jpg
    P1000030_x.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 460
  • P1000032_x.jpg
    P1000032_x.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 449
  • P1000036_x.jpg
    P1000036_x.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 466
  • P1000040_x.jpg
    P1000040_x.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 351
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pano: How do you deal with the fact that sailors experience things appearing/disappearing over the horizon. Surely millions of people have experienced this?
"Ship Down" is a well known phenomenon and usually the first cited as proof of a globular earth. The Planists have always had an explanation for that, it will be found just about anywhere. It is explained as perspective, that the ship blends into the horizon as it get farther and farther away. The Planists claim that looking at the ship will a telescope will bring it "back up" above the horizon. I have been able to verify this to some extent.

Anyone can observe Jupiter rotate and see the parallax of surface features. I believe this is a poor example to make a point of believing something without question.
Sure, anyone can. But how many have? And if they did, would they know what they are looking at? Of the hundreds of people I've discussed this with, you are the first to mention observing Jupiter as a proof of the Earth's globularity. How does that make my example poor?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Stop trolling please.
That is not trolling. I've done the observations, you can not see it. Yes, you can take photos with a wide angle lens that curves all straight lines and point to those. Many amateur high altitude balloon flights do just that. They show the curvature of the earth from aloft. Oddly they also show the curvature of the parking lot where they were launched. ;) It's a shame they don't use non-distorting lens, because then they could actually point to some nice evidence.

You can also do online research that tells you that the curvature of the Earth becomes visible starting at about 70K feet above the surface. I have not visited that altitude to confirm it. Very few people have.

FWIW, I took a photo taken on the Bedford canal in England that is the only photo I know of to show the curvature of the Earth from ground level. Maybe.

Sure, anyone can. But how many have? And if they did, would they know what they are looking at?

I suppose a CGI projected by NASA. When refuting evidence starts resorting to a 1000yr global conspiracy run by the Illuminati and Freemasons why would anyone pay attention?

You can also build your own "radio" and observe the Schumann resonances from the spherical cavity of the ionosphere.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I guess as I worked with satellites in my first job post uni the fact that they orbit was good enough for me. It would be really hard to spoof live feeds from LEO observation satellites.

I'm not old enough to have seen the moon missions live and I guess the flat earthers say they were staged. But there is a point. Where is the line between balance of probability and blind faith.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose a CGI projected by NASA
That is not what I said. Please reread my post. You're a scientist, Scott, don't jump to conclusions.

When refuting evidence starts resorting to a 1000yr global conspiracy run by the Illuminati and Freemasons why would anyone pay attention?
Agreed, and many of the other Planist ideas stretch belief. The giant conspiracy and cover-ups just don't make sense. That, however, does nothing to prove of disprove their claims of flatness. It's a separate, but related, issue.

You can also build your own "radio" and observe the Schumann resonances from the spherical cavity of the ionosphere.
Nice idea, but that's pretty advanced and esoteric proof for the layman. And it's not really direct observation, is it?

I know of some flat Earther people and no matter what you tell them everything's a conspiracy. All the space station footage is faked, the moon landing etc.. If you were to try and go to the South Pole "they" will kill you, so you can never know the truth etc.. There's supposedly untold riches of mineral wealth in the South Pole area and the military won't let you go there, and they protect the 'edge of the earth" etc etc.. It's all pretty crazy stuff imo lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.