Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Flat Earthers
Flat Earthers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 11:21 AM   #1421
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The only thing infinite is time ................ until it runs out.......
Old 6th February 2018, 12:25 PM   #1422
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone. I suspect conduction got stuck in time if you will forgive. 1896, 1900, 1914 and 1927 being interesting dates. 1900 seems when free electrons were suspected. 1914 about the time copper became a standard where ETPC being 100%. 1927 being when quantum theory looked to the how and the why. One interesting idea I read is the spare electron is free to do as it pleases in the latice. Strikes me that is correct. It might say why gold is unlike sodium. That suggest other than in compounds the spare electron is not on the outside as shown unless it's valancy is called upon to work. That is the substance is more inert than it should be.

My other guess is semiconductors became more important and mostly what we knew in 1914 is good enough when metals. It is curious to note if copper is 99.94% pure and doped with phosphorous to come to 100% the conductivity drops to maybe 70% of ETPC. This is done to drive out hydrogen which is part of low cost refining, I think this is for welding and not as a conductor. At a guess one needs about 10% zinc to get to 70% ETPC ( forging brass ). That single electron is easilly upset. Thus brass is not the arthimetical additions of the metals. If memory is right 70% copper and 30% zinc mostly conducts like zinc. I imagine the condutivity curve to be parabolic where 1% zinc brass drops to 85% conductivity. Silver and copper can be mixed with better outcomes. Silver Nickel is interesting if 85% silver. Rhodium is fairly good and is tough, it's neighbours seems just as interesting.

However phosphorous is an ideal dope for the near insulator silicon. A very interesting question I feel. As weird as the Flat Earth yet true.
Old 6th February 2018, 02:35 PM   #1423
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Nigel,
Electrical conduction is more complicated than the model you suggest. Don't know why you would speculate when explanations can readily be found online. One example here: Electrical resistivity and conductivity - Wikipedia

If you would like more in-depth information, here is an article about gold: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.4508.pdf

Regarding turning other metals into gold, it has been done. For example, lead has been turned into gold. Only in extremely small amounts though. It takes a high energy particle accelerator to do it. Unfortunately, the cost of making gold that way a far, far more than the gold is worth. It's so expensive as to be totally impractical.

Regarding infinity, no one knows if anything is physically infinite. It's looking more and more like infinity is, as you say, not more than a mathematical abstraction. But, that is based on very limited information. We don't know what goes on at Planck scale or below (if there is a below), and for infinitely large, we don't know if there is some kind of multi-verse that is unbounded.
Two things I was pleased to see is the author sees the mysteries which time hasn't completely solved. I like the idea of bandgaps being important. It is easy to think only LED's have band gaps. The rest of it is for those who wish to stay a lifetime with it. It's right to look at gold and mercury and then silver and copper. Aluminium is very good.

I have a young friend who got her BA easilly, she found the MA more difficult as the teaching was poor ( I think Oxford sold theirs to BA students ). I told her to go to PHD and only then if it suited her. Then thought of maths where many go mad. I do suspect the mad making maths are unreal. Mostly anything you can think of in maths will be right as long as basic rules of logic are used. For example -0^0.5 looks a looser. Seeing as I just made that up it's not bad. -0 is so unlikely that it must exist, perhaps it is infinity. That is everything is a Mobius loop.
Old 24th February 2018, 07:05 AM   #1424
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

There are some people here, that try to see the world in 3D on perfectly flat screens, and find themselve intelligent.
Is the world full of mathematicians that are trying to see the 4pi space through the 2pi window?.. IMHO they just use a serious pretext to escape into their immaginaire, where everything is distorded.
Old 29th May 2018, 08:39 PM   #1425
Mike Gergen is offline Mike Gergen  United States
diyAudio Member

Australia Doesn't Exit And People Who Live There Are Actors Paid By NASA - Flat Earthers Claim

Oz does not really exist. It's all a sham.
LOL
Old 29th May 2018, 09:09 PM   #1426
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

OT - but speaking of NASA conspiracy theories, I caught a flick the other day that was amazingly well filmed to emulate a bad late 60's 16mm "documentary" - but otherwise another 90minutes of my life I'll never get back - Operation Avalanche.
Old 29th May 2018, 09:55 PM   #1427
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gergen View Post
LOL.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:24 PM   #1428
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
LOL.
They need more AI in their spell checker.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:50 PM   #1429
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Steady on.....
Old 30th May 2018, 12:12 AM   #1430
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM1 View Post
Go to Kansas which is without hills or mountains and use a water level (an instrument that uses water to indicate the horizontal.) and a laser level on a 5 mile stretch of highway and measure the difference between the distance between the laser spot on a white board and the water level. It should be somewhere around 3 ft as I remember. Repeat from the other direction.
That reminds me. It does indeed turn out that Kansas is flatter than a pancake. From the Annals of Improbable Research: Improbable Research

Also, next time someone claims that you shouldn't compare apples and oranges, you may want to direct them here: Improbable Research

Tom

Flat EarthersHide this!Advertise here!