Sound Exposure Levels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a classical musician, I work in an environment where management and players have a very high awareness of sound level dosage and I do wonder if members here are aware of the implications of listening to music at high levels.

The permitted daily dosage of sound for noise at work according to law is 8 hours @ 85dB. Of course every 3dB increase means a halving of the time. So at 91dB the permitted exposure time would be 2 hours; 100dB 15 minutes.

When I read some of the comments on this site about "realistic" levels, and how they want speakers to be capable of 110dB and they want to listen in the mid 90s, I wonder if the members saying these things are aware of how this could impact on them in the future.

Bear in mind that the safety ratings are continuous noise. Music, by nature, has transients that're louder than the average volume.
If you've got some fairly dynamic music, with a peak-to-average ratio around 20dB, you can have 90dB average SPL with short-term peaks of 110dB.

The people you describe want to be able to reproduce those peaks cleanly. If they wanted to listen at 110dB average, they'd need a 130dB-capable system.

Chris

As a classical musician, I work in an environment where management and players have a very high awareness of sound level dosage

Hi. That's good. There was a news story recently about a musician who was suing his orchestra for hearing damage, I don't recall the details I'm afraid.

How do you protect yourself during rehearsal and performance? What do you play?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> impact on them in the future.

What?

As said, the _occupational_ specs are for when you are PAID to trade-off your health for money. Whether the numbers are fair or not, we have to have numbers to justify a government.

I became very aware around a Hot Tuna concert in the 1970s. (I actually was already over-dosed on a local band, was walking to HT, and about 300 feet away decided this was a bad idea.) I avoided and limited exposure for decades, despite working around loud music. I have several ear-muffs and use them with mower, tractor, chain-saw. But incidental mechanical work, and bad genes, has high-cut me around 2KHz.

Scott Joplin. That could well have been my orchestra! The management are very on the ball about hearing risks. I work in an orchestra pit. Quite a lot of the orchestra wear earplugs (including electronic ones), and there are screens for us to use. For the very loud areas (those in front of the trombones and trumpets) there are ear defenders supplied, which people use for the loud bits. The wind players have more of a problem using earplugs because of the effect of blocking your ears distorting the sound. Try speaking with your fingers in your ears to give an idea.

Statue Quo might be okay, but The Who have not fared as well. Perhaps genes play a role.

Actually it is a big problem. Orchestral playing needs any player to adjust to what is around. The 2nd clarinet needs to match exactly what the first clarinet is playing. The 1st clarinet will need to be louder, or softer, or the same as say the 1st flute, or the 1st horn, or the violins, or the soloist.............And the quality of sound, the attack on each note, the decay, the tuning, any moving ahead or slowing, or hesitation. And this is constantly changin. If an orchestra played without any aural input from around and only had the conductor to look at for all the info, the performance would be a shambles, particularly a concerto or opera.

It's been awhile since I had my hearing tested but it was very frustrating- my hearing was "perfect"- something like the folks in the Status Quo, I imagine- and it is nothing like it used to be. My stereo imaging is pretty much gone, headphones are not an option anymore. They told me recording engineers were always complaining about trivial hearing anomalies, and pooh poohed my concerns, but I cannot work the way I used to at all.

A large lift gate slamming shut on a semi truck a hundred yards away was the impact that broke this camel's back- I looked over in pained resentment and the operator (no earplugs) glared back- it was a lot louder where he stood! that was about one second of exposure.

I have always been greatly aware of phasing and special timing cues, the work of the superior olive, part of the reptile brain. They don't test for any of that, not on me anyways, just a bunch of sine waves.

A large lift gate slamming shut on a semi truck a hundred yards away was the impact that broke this camel's back- I looked over in pained resentment and the operator (no earplugs) glared back- it was a lot louder where he stood! that was about one second of exposure.

Real men don't wear ear defenders.

I stick my fingers in my ears when an emergency vehicle passes sirens blaring, like a little child instinctively knowing to protect myself

I expect the current generation to be servery hearing impaired by the time they reach 30 owing to the use of earbuds and excessively loud music.

When I ride on the bicycle trail I use a bell to let people know I'm passing them. Many don't hear it due to the earbuds and music which I'm sure is too loud as they can't hear the bell.

I expect the current generation to be servery hearing impaired by the time they reach 30 owing to the use of earbuds and excessively loud music.

When I ride on the bicycle trail I use a bell to let people know I'm passing them. Many don't hear it due to the earbuds and music which I'm sure is too loud as they can't hear the bell.

Too true. I was gutted when I was increasingly unable to hear bats in my early forties. At 55 I'm down to 15kHz - probably about the upper limit of many 25-year olds now... And they laughed at me for wearing earplugs to AC/DC in the '80s!:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.