Whats the LAST movie you have watched?

The Wolverine - somehow not quite yet as tired of Hugh Jackman’s solo outings in that skin as with the rest of the troupe’s confusing timelines. Should one care to try to make sense of them all, an Excel spreadsheet is almost required.

Yeah, I'm still a little so-so on the Hugh Jackman thing. He has definately a fine actor and has grown into the role, and so is indeed enjoyable to watch. I still struggle with the casting. If you were a fan of the comics, you knew that Wolverine was short, and there were many iconic cells where he stared down taller opponents, whereas Jackman is always just the tallest actor on screen.

leadbelly - fair enough. For what it’s worth, I was only a white belt DC comics nerd-in-training, and pretty much over my initial “graphic novel” stage by the middle/late 60’s - Hefner and Guccione had more to offer for a hormonally overcharged introvert- and definitely missed out on the evolution of Stan Lee’s labyrinthian MC multiverse, as well as the errata of which you speak. I’ve just been more taken with the commitment, and dare I say emotional nuance that Hugh has put into his 10 big screen portrayals of the character over the past almost 20 years. During that same period of time there have been numerous incarnations of Jean Grey (6, I think?) including Sophia Turner’s recent and upcoming turns in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix respectively. For my money, at least two of those (Famke and Sophie) could be featured on the “most beautiful” list.

Bohemian Rhapsody

I was certainly interested, but thought I’d wait until streaming on Netflix, or on PPV, but my wife insisted we see this on a screen at least a little bigger than ours at home. We now qualify for seniors’ ticket rates, and this was the best $21.00 we’ve spent at the movies in a bucket of a long time.
I don’t think one need to be an ardent fan of the group to appreciate how amazing the performances and production of this relatively mid budget by today’s standards were. Rami absolutely disappeared into the skin of a complex and troubled character, and the supporting cast was outstanding. The Live Aid Concert footage was simply brilliant, and brought tears to more than a few eyes.

There’s been an adorable YouTube for about a year and a half of “ kids reacting to Queen” that we had to immediately consume again upon arriving home.
YouTube

Highly recommended

Just keep on mind that it doesn’t pretend to be a documentary. FWIW, one of the seemingly interminable commercials and previews (Susan timed it at 30 min from when the lights were dimmed) was for “Rocketman”, for later this year. I was a minor fan of Elton’s for the first few albums up to GYBR, but he kinda lost me after that.

Still riding this new hobbyhorse. For a couple of real fun reads, y’all should dig into the history of two very interesting pieces of DIY kit that became a huge part of Brian May’s signature sound, and are still treasured pieces of his collection 40+ years later. They may well be familiar / legendary to some members, but I’m pretty sure not all.

Red Special guitar. Red Special - Wikipedia
Not the only tool in his kit, but she certainly figured prominently in most of the riffs & runs etched indelibly in our memories.

The Deacy amp. Deacy Amp replica. Now Discontinued Rescued from a skip, then?

Near the bottom of the section on amplifiers and effects is where I found it got interesting
Brian May - Wikipedia which if I read it correctly, and from viewing only a few of the photos of some of the stage and studio set-ups suggest that the modified AC30s - up to more than a dozen - were closed miked from the output of the Red Special into whatever treble booster was flavour of the week, then the Deacy.

Or not - I guess only Brian, a roady or guitar tech could answer conclusively?

Just for fun please geek out on the entire 41 page Knight Audio Technology document on the development of the limited edition replica. I don’t wanna even contemplate the total development cost of that little box.

No matter the outcome of this delightful dialogue, the film was a great journey of nostalgia, and I was more than a little surprised to find that my wife of 45 years is enough of a fan of the group’s music that she seriously proposed we consider attending an upcoming performance of the most recent tour of Queen + Adam Lambert as one more tick box on our retirement bucket list. Don’t laff, that kid can not only sing, but has a helluva stage presence.

Good night Mrs Calabash - who/where ever you are

DiCaprio in The Revenant.

That man was the unluckiest bloke. The bear scene was quite uncomfortably gruelling (even for someone who's never been on the same continent as a grizzly!).

Quite a long movie, but well directed and had great cinematography in particular with the scenery.

:Pawprint: