Whats the LAST movie you have watched?

That too, mate. There’s definitely something to the much longer arc of time with which a good series of any genre has the freedom to work in terms of character development/growth and multi-layered story telling. There’s virtually no limit to the possibilities when the almost worn out Time Travel theme - from as far back as Quantum Leap, to the current Travellers and Timeless.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Just watched the first episode of Dirty Money: Hard NOx on Netflix about the emissions scandal involving German car manufacturers specifically focusing on VW.

Very informative and entertaining and revealing just how long german car companies have been outright lying to us and putting us all in danger of health problems even death.

Even against my best instincts, I failed to pass up the opportunity to waste another couple of hours on the most recent - but from cliff-hanger ending not likely last?- episode in the Ridley Scott Alien franchise - i.e Covenant. At least it was just a movie channel not $15 theatre ticket, and I could control the SPL of bombast with my remote.
Is it just me, or do these get more convoluted and non-sensible each time? Cool enough CGI though.

CGI can look so incredibly good when they do it right.
Wish the storylines had more focus...
Like the LOTR films, angered me to no end watching the first one. I had to grudgingly accept it was just a completely different story that shared the same name, then it was "halfway ok". It is supposed to be 6 books! Not 3! Why on earth did they ruin the whole thing by cutting most of it out?

Another thing that really ticks me off with modern movies is the insane waving about with the cameras whenever there is a little bit of action. Couple it with the low framerate of movies and it's mostly: angry mugshot-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-evenangriermugshotlayingdownonthegroundwithabitofdirtontheface-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-Suddenlyupagainandpunchingtheotherguyrepeatedly-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe--randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-randomframe-victory! Everyone's happy/kissing and whatnot- cue endscene

But it's probably just me being a grumpy 35 year old fart again.

KaffiMann - I should have posited more specifically my query as relating to the most recent of 6 chapters in the official "Alien" franchise - i.e. not the crossover "vs Predator". I'd mentioned before that notwithstanding some interesting visuals, Prometheus was for me a ponderous self-indulgence, and Covenant wasn't much better. But then I'm not a professional cineaste.

Chris - If you have a taste for sci-fi. Have you seen the more realistic Mars series on Netflix? It is made from a more solid basis, actual results from ongoing rocket projects and realistic theories on how to populate the red orb. Not too much drama (thankfully), a little bit action, a little bit realistic depiction of life away from Terra.
I also quite like The Expanse, as previously posted, ofcourse the books are better, but the series is quite good also. A bit more "Alien-ish", but still not too far fetched.

Some of the newer movies from the US looks are more or less pale blueprint copies of various fantastic anime series from Japan.
Do not know if you like older animation series, but I have a large collection of quality FLAC soundtracks and complete series from Japan, some that have more realistic "exploration" theme going and then some that go completely off the charts. Sort of like cartoons for adults I guess. And the music is very varied. Much deeper storyline, many small details about each and every person involved. Makes it seem more real in a way.

If mind numbing action is your thing I fell off that wagon many years ago. Noisy blockbusters put me to sleep.
I am not "Cineaste" in any way (how on earth do you pronounce that?), just like good stories. And frequently get caught up in annoyance over petty details.

I think "Real Steel" (2011) was the last sci-fi/action movie from the US I actually liked. Have seen it several times. A little bit "feel good" perhaps, but it seemed to be made with genuine passion.

Kaffimann - yes, I rather enjoyed “Mars”, as well as the big screen “Martian” - an interesting counterpoint to Ridley’s most recent Aliens - on which I’ve already pontificated.
Not that anyone gives a rip, but I also just happen to not hate Matt Damon’s work - can’t say the same about Affleck.

As for Real Steel - haven’t caught that yet, but have failed to be disappointed by any of Hugh’s work either - particularly liked the last (?) chapter in the Wolverine saga (Logan). Questionable script choices notwithstanding, he’s a pretty damned fine musical performer as well.

p.s. - my guess on pronunciation is sin-ee-a$$t ?

Last edited:
Oh. Think I'd rather prefer NOT to get Cinè-a$$ed.
If you like some more classical movies I highly recommend the Babycart Series - Lone Wolf And Cub, it's about a Samurai, who is sentenced for treason in a plot not really related to our protagonist, against the ruler or something (been a long time, have to watch it again), his family is killed, except his young son, they roam the land as Ronin (the kid mostly sits in his bamboo cart), hunted by the government. There are many bloody action scenes, I think the acting is quite good also. It is not animated, but "real".
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972) - IMDb

I think there are 6 movies in the series.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Her skin was displayed while under duress in that movie. Not exactly a happy way to be naked. I felt awkward while viewing said skin. Although it was sufficiently alluring if however brief.

All throughout the movie I kept on thinking "kill him (the criminal) already!". It kept an unhealthy amount of tension for at least 90% of the film. Especially considering that there was little done to even attempt to get out of the situation. Kidman in her role was allowing the criminal to antagonize her far too easily and she had zero will or drive to survive until right at the end of the film when things became desperate enough.

Also that constant typical Kidman facial expression is more along the lines of watching a piece of drywall trying to smile or frown. That is to say it is as constant as the speed of light. But I thought I would give this film a look, another Kidman mistake I guess.

It felt more like torture than a thrill. Although the visuals were excellent,maybe on par with other such films as Cast Away. The visuals and presence of Sam Neil were really the only reasons why I continued to watch it until the very end. And of course the desire to see vengeance. But to be honest with you I skipped the last 20 minutes of the film to see said vengeance because I got so bored.

I don't watch moving pictures to look at actors trying to be statues.

Last edited: