Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Whats the LAST movie you have watched?
Whats the LAST movie you have watched? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 03:30 PM   #721
jackinnj is online now jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

"A Succesful Calamity" 1932 with George Arliss, Mary Astor -- nice of this genre -- Arliss makeup seemed more appropriate for orthochromatic film than the pan which had been introduced by then.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:14 PM   #722
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Rampage - Dwayne Johnson. It never ceases to amaze me how blithely the basic laws of physics are shredded like The Rock’s t-shirts in these extended orgasms of CGI ranging from almost photorealistic to bad 80’s TV Sci-fi - often in the same set piece.

IIRC one of the credits listed on a recent film of his - or maybe the TV series Ballers - was “Barber for Mr Johnson” .
Old 20th September 2019, 07:37 PM   #723
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

LMAO!!!!
Old 21st September 2019, 11:52 AM   #724
GUNFU is offline GUNFU  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia directed by Sam Peckinpah
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:47 AM   #725
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
LMAO!!!!
FWIW, the recent slew of MCU films has habituated me to sitting through the end credits. Forget about trying to count the actual number of names of the sometimes over a thousand CGI “artists”, I’ve found it particularly interesting to try to reconcile the spotty quality of pixels on the screen to number of studios listed. Some have input by over a dozen firms, and I’m beginning to think this is definitely a case of less is more.
Regardless of your opinion of Mr Cameron as a film maker, I found the original Avatar to be virtually flawless in that regard. Unabashed fanboy mode - I’m thinking the next several in the series will be worth the wait, and may raise the bar once again. Hope my recent LASIK lens replacement surgery is fully healed by then. So far at just two weeks out nearfield is super clear, although lacking the magnification factor in my last prescription glasses- but past 10ft or so still a bit unfocused - particularly noticeable when driving. My wife just went through the same surgery and said it took at least 6 weeks to fully settle in. I’m still finding myself reaching to take glasses off at times.

Some while back “First Man” was mentioned. I finally caught this on one of my cable movie channels, and numerous goofs on technical details aside - lists of which can easily be found on IMDB, etc - I quite enjoyed it.
I think Neil definitely had at least as much of the “Right Stuff” as did Alan Shepard and John Glenn - each The First in their initial Mercury missions - and his two sons credited Ryan with a pretty damned close portrayal of his focus on the mission vs family dynamic. And yes, Janet really did barge into the control room when her home squawk box was disconnected: I guess while raising two sons with a mostly absentee father - even when he was home? - she grew herself a pretty substantial pair herself.
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:59 AM   #726
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Ad Astra - Brad Pitt does his best to carry this movie but really none of the other characters are filled out enough to make us care. What a shame. I really had high expectations. Sometimes "minimalism" is just too minimal.
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:44 AM   #727
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
Ad Astra - Brad Pitt does his best to carry this movie but really none of the other characters are filled out enough to make us care. What a shame. I really had high expectations. Sometimes "minimalism" is just too minimal.
Ah! So unfortunate.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:41 AM   #728
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

The Right Stuff was a great movie! I was born 2 weeks before Neil stepped on the moon.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:14 PM   #729
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Being less than 6 months from my 18th, and having avidly followed the “race” from the first Mercury mission, mostly via the stunning photojournalism of Life magazine, I was one of millions glued to the grainy images of the live broadcast on that Sunday evening our time.
As much fun as it was watching lunar golf and cavorting about in dune buggies, it didn’t take long before the following five landings become almost too commonplace even to care about watching live. And of course there were other priorities for the US government to spend billions on - that little dust-upin the southeast rang up approximately 5 times the $28B of the Apollo program. But that’s almost entering into political territory, so I’ll quit while I’m ahead.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:35 PM   #730
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Shortbus. Didn't know anything about that movie, but me and my wife thought it looked interesting. We were taken a bit with our pants down :-)
We did see it, and it was quite ok.

Whats the LAST movie you have watched?Hide this!Advertise here! Whats the LAST movie you have watched?