Whats the LAST movie you have watched?

Last evening me and mamselle watched "Comrade X" -- Clark Gable, Eve Arden and Hedy Lamar, directed by King Vidor. Journalist tries to get girl out of Russia, 1940.

This film was produced in 1940 and was of little consequence -- UNTIL -- Gable commandeers the hotel room of a German journalist, getting him kicked out by feigning a phone call from a news source stating that Germany had decided to attack Russia, infuriating the hotel manager. This was an entire year before Germany broke the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

Hedy Lamar does a good job of driving a Soviet tank.

I can't remember the last film I watched.. I think my tolerance of Hollywood plots coupled with the obvious deeper than the bottom of the barrel current writing and directing has seen to that. Actually I do remember - Black Window I think I summarised it as below par.

I was looking forward to Dune but I saw the Trailer... and from Swedish reports - it's got the Hollywood treatment. Hence it's no longer on my watchlist.

I've been watching a lot of the international content on Netflix:
* The Method (Russian)
* Le Mante (French)
* trilogy of: The Invisible Guardian, The Legacy of Bones and The Offering of the Storm (Spanish)

Films that stand out for me:
* Lives of Others
* Pans Labyrinth
* The Date (French)
* Das Boot (extended directors cut)

There's probably plenty more but.. not many Hollywood.

HaHa, that was Miles Davis in "Dingo" wasn't it? Wasn't sure who the rest of the band were. :D

Problem for Jazz musicians was all the drugs that tended to go with the genre. Poor ol' Miles contracted HIV from his needles. A superb musician, and good judge of his supporting band, we can forgive much. I judge an artist by his output, not his life.

I have just finished "American Gangster" with Denzel Washington as the Bad Guy drug Baron, and Russell Crowe as the Good Guy Cop. I didn't notice the soundtrack, but it worked. They end up friends, mutual respect and some concept of honesty I guess. Just on different sides of the fence. Before judging someone, walk a mile in their shoes. :)

American Gangster Official Trailer #1 - Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe Movie (2007) HD - YouTube

I am starting a biography about Julius Caesar, the most successful ever Roman. A thoroughly bad man. Rather a heavy volume, but hey, it's educational. :D

I rewatched Gravity too. Also educational. Spoiler alert:

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are fixing the Hubble telescope from the Space Shuttle when hit by Space Junk! :eek:

A loose bolt at 20,000 mph has the explosive force of a hand-grenade! Even a paint fleck is trouble.

They jetpack over to the ISS to pick up a crippled Soyuz escape capsule. Sandra has trained with a Soyuz simulator, so the Russian button markings don't phase her. Then Sandra jets over to the Chinese Space Station in the Russian Soyuz to get a better working Soyuz clone.

She is in trouble that all the controls are marked in Chinese, but so perfect is the Soyuz rip-off that the buttons are all in the same place. She gets back down home in her fetching undies. Excellent. :)