Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Whats the LAST movie you have watched?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2019, 03:03 AM   #531
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Default Bohemian Rhapsody

I was certainly interested, but thought I’d wait until streaming on Netflix, or on PPV, but my wife insisted we see this on a screen at least a little bigger than ours at home. We now qualify for seniors’ ticket rates, and this was the best $21.00 we’ve spent at the movies in a bucket of a long time.
I don’t think one need to be an ardent fan of the group to appreciate how amazing the performances and production of this relatively mid budget by today’s standards were. Rami absolutely disappeared into the skin of a complex and troubled character, and the supporting cast was outstanding. The Live Aid Concert footage was simply brilliant, and brought tears to more than a few eyes.

There’s been an adorable YouTube for about a year and a half of “ kids reacting to Queen” that we had to immediately consume again upon arriving home.
YouTube

Highly recommended
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:06 AM   #532
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Latest Spiderman... Brilliant movie. Felt like a kid again...
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #533
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the recommendation on Bohemian Rhapsody, I was wavering but now I'll go see it on the big screen.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:05 PM   #534
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Just keep on mind that it doesn’t pretend to be a documentary. FWIW, one of the seemingly interminable commercials and previews (Susan timed it at 30 min from when the lights were dimmed) was for “Rocketman”, for later this year. I was a minor fan of Elton’s for the first few albums up to GYBR, but he kinda lost me after that.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:11 AM   #535
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Still riding this new hobbyhorse. For a couple of real fun reads, y’all should dig into the history of two very interesting pieces of DIY kit that became a huge part of Brian May’s signature sound, and are still treasured pieces of his collection 40+ years later. They may well be familiar / legendary to some members, but I’m pretty sure not all.

Red Special guitar. Red Special - Wikipedia
Not the only tool in his kit, but she certainly figured prominently in most of the riffs & runs etched indelibly in our memories.

The Deacy amp. Deacy Amp replica. Now Discontinued Rescued from a skip, then?
Old 4th January 2019, 01:18 AM   #536
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't want to sound like I'm always disagreeing with you, but arguably his treble booster pedal was more part of his sound than the Deacy. I think on most Queen albums he played an AC30.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:57 AM   #537
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Near the bottom of the section on amplifiers and effects is where I found it got interesting
Brian May - Wikipedia which if I read it correctly, and from viewing only a few of the photos of some of the stage and studio set-ups suggest that the modified AC30s - up to more than a dozen - were closed miked from the output of the Red Special into whatever treble booster was flavour of the week, then the Deacy.

Or not - I guess only Brian, a roady or guitar tech could answer conclusively?

Just for fun please geek out on the entire 41 page Knight Audio Technology document on the development of the limited edition replica. I don’t wanna even contemplate the total development cost of that little box.

No matter the outcome of this delightful dialogue, the film was a great journey of nostalgia, and I was more than a little surprised to find that my wife of 45 years is enough of a fan of the group’s music that she seriously proposed we consider attending an upcoming performance of the most recent tour of Queen + Adam Lambert as one more tick box on our retirement bucket list. Don’t laff, that kid can not only sing, but has a helluva stage presence.

Good night Mrs Calabash - who/where ever you are
Old 6th January 2019, 11:58 PM   #538
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Bird box wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, and actually enjoyed it.
Old 8th January 2019, 09:11 AM   #539
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Ant Man and the Wasp last night with my Daughter..

Tony.
Old 8th January 2019, 09:18 AM   #540
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

DiCaprio in The Revenant.

That man was the unluckiest bloke. The bear scene was quite uncomfortably gruelling (even for someone who's never been on the same continent as a grizzly!).

Quite a long movie, but well directed and had great cinematography in particular with the scenery.

The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe

Whats the LAST movie you have watched?Hide this!Advertise here!