Whats the LAST movie you have watched?

Tonight I was dragged, screaming and protesting, to our local town hall...which has the worst acoustics I have ever known and a truly dreadful sound system which could not sound half way decent anywhere. Yes, it was actually worse than I remembered. :bigeyes:

The event was a one-night screening of the made to make money in the USA film 'Downton Abbey'...known in the UK as "Downturn Abbey".
If you thought it bad on TV this was a version for people who wanted to see (again) the inside shots of the 'Abbey'...without having to pay double the price to get into 'Highclere Castle' (the real pile) as a tourist on a guided mini-tour!

True to expectation every single aspect of the 'event' was cringingly loathsome. I actually heard (understood) about one word in every second sentence. There is a particularly cruel bit of direction about 20 mins from the end...you are led to believe that the 'film' is about to end....but it doesn't...it trundles on for quite a time more. When it DID eventually end I ran back to the carpark having knocked over three or four old ladies en route ... such was my haste to get away from that place. :grumpy:

My immediately previous movie experience was when I lived in London, maybe 27 years ago, when I was dragged by the same wife to see 'Peggy Sue got Married'. :yuck:

However love's labour was not lost as I am now held to be a Knight in Shining Armour by her indoors for having actually taken her. :cool:..(She paid of course! ;))

Last edited:
Rocketman - kinda dreaded it, but ended up liking it more than I thought I would.

While I’m more of an eclectic rather than a trained musicologist - or cineaste, for that matter, I think this resonated with me more than Boh Rap for a few reasons, not the least of which being that I was more a fan of the Elton /Bernie collaboration during the early years of the ascendancy of his career, of which for me GYBR was the zenith. By the time the Vegas/Liberace on coke stage shows came to be his calling card, I’d moved on, but for a kid, those first 7 studio albums were a ton of fun.
Let’s get real, if you’re searching for a historically accurate documentary, don’t look to a musical biopic whose prime prime storyboard directives include throwing chronology out the side window of a gold plated Rolls Royce cruising down Hollywood Boulevard. I guess the producers of such films are blessed that the small percentage of the viewing audience who grew up during that era have either memories slightly muddled by participating to even a small degree in the lifestyle portrayed - I’m speaking on a friend’s behalf ;)- or will appreciate that messing with chronology is part of the license that can make for art.

I saw it. The other day I will watch, and other films with his participation. However, other actors were also very good in this film. Earlier in the USSR box office there were films The Magnificent Seven adaptation of Akira Kurosawa’s philosophical drama “Seven Samurai”. Both films were a resounding success.

Last edited:
that's because it had Steve McQueen in it and everyone knows he was the king of cool
Edward G. Robinson also played a great role in this film. I decided to watch his last film with his participation, Soylent Green, and this was a fantasy and utopia about our time, with no less stellar cast. I liked the movie too. About how protein substitutes are made from corpses. It should be noted that the quality of products has really deteriorated over the past 40 years, it has begun to use more food colors, preservatives, gels for pumping and giving volume and weight to chickens and OTHER MODERN TECHNOLOGIES TO GET MORE PROFIT. So that the film has not lost its relevance after 50 years.