Separating moderation posts from normal posts for moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may garner me no friends,but so be it.

I tried to add a person/s, who happen/s to be a moderator/s, to my ignore list and received a message it is not possible. What I would like is to be able to ignore normal posts by this person/s and, of course, still see any moderation posts.

Is this possible?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
With all due respect Cal, I think it's a simple thing to implement (Jason may hate me for saying this...).

case 1: you post as a regular member, you are on my ignore list (hypothetical), I don't see your post.

case 2: you post as a mod., you are on my ignore list (hypothetical), the system overrides that and I am forced to read your post ;-)

Jan

I don't believe it's something easily changed nor desired by the Mod team at this point as it may add to confusion or even mishaps.

Does this forum operate for the moderators or the members?

And think of this: As moderators, we don't get an ignore list. We have to see everyone's posts.

Self imposed; I take no responsibility for your masochism.

I believe the distinction between a normal and a mod post should be made clear. Either post as a normal forum member or as a mod. For example, one unnamed mod posts what, I believe, are overtly commercial comments and I don't want to see them. Another has opinions about aspects of audio i don't value and I don't want to see those either.

I'm not asking to ignore moderation posts, only to ignore normal posts by some mods. It would clear up ambiguity about what is a moderation post or not.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tromperie,
Being a mod does not grant infinite audio wisdom, despite some appearances to the contrary.
No one has infinite audio wisdom. Audio is a subsection of electronics, which is a subsection of physics. There are many who would suspend the laws of physics for a belief in an audio effect. So there are some questions that are cut and dried. Certainties. Beyond that, it`s just a mashup of opinions and some actual experience. Moderators and members alike.

Remember one thing about moderators. We are simply normal members with (sometimes) a lot of extra work to do. But, every one of us does care about the site and it`s members. You may have a problem with a few moderators, but thankfully there aren`t very many of us around to disagree with.

As a member, I didn`t actually use my ignore list. There are times I wish it would work, but I`m stuck, with the rest of the moderating team, with seeing each and every post made by everyone. It turns out that choosing to not read posts made by other people is as easy as having a functioning ignore list. I don`t see this as a hardship, but maybe a point of argument if you want to make something out of it.

Simply don`t read posts of people you don`t agree with, but watch for the :cop: symbol. This is reserved for moderator use, so ignore the urge to use it yourself.

Most of our posts are as normal members, so when you do the the :cop: symbol, we are donning our moderator cap and doing some work. The tip of the iceberg as it turns out. Believe me when I say we`d rather be enjoying the site like everyone else.

-Chris

At the risk of being off topic, does the ignore button really work effectively? I have tried it and found it useless. There a few here I would love a magic button to eliminate their participation, but if their posts are being taken seriously and responded to, you can't follow the thread without scanning their posts.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi leadbelly,
The ignore button works exactly like that. You can't have it both ways, so if you find you can't follow a thread, maybe if you simply avoid reading posts from people you don't like will do the trick. That way you can go back and read a post if you need to.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.