Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Separating moderation posts from normal posts for moderators
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 7th October 2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Separating moderation posts from normal posts for moderators

This may garner me no friends,but so be it.

I tried to add a person/s, who happen/s to be a moderator/s, to my ignore list and received a message it is not possible. What I would like is to be able to ignore normal posts by this person/s and, of course, still see any moderation posts.

Is this possible?

Old 8th October 2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

No. If that moderator has a directive for you, they have to know the message has been received. There is no means of separation.

Old 9th October 2016, 01:51 AM   #3
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

With all due respect Cal, I think it's a simple thing to implement (Jason may hate me for saying this...).

case 1: you post as a regular member, you are on my ignore list (hypothetical), I don't see your post.

case 2: you post as a mod., you are on my ignore list (hypothetical), the system overrides that and I am forced to read your post ;-)

Jan

Old 9th October 2016, 02:21 AM   #4
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The Mods simply post as members and if the situation calls for it, we don the Mod hat. I don't believe it's something easily changed nor desired by the Mod team at this point as it may add to confusion or even mishaps.

Old 9th October 2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And think of this: As moderators, we don't get an ignore list. We have to see everyone's posts.

Consider yourself fortunate, things could be worse.

Old 10th October 2016, 12:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't believe it's something easily changed nor desired by the Mod team at this point as it may add to confusion or even mishaps.
Does this forum operate for the moderators or the members?

Quote:
And think of this: As moderators, we don't get an ignore list. We have to see everyone's posts.
Self imposed; I take no responsibility for your masochism.

I believe the distinction between a normal and a mod post should be made clear. Either post as a normal forum member or as a mod. For example, one unnamed mod posts what, I believe, are overtly commercial comments and I don't want to see them. Another has opinions about aspects of audio i don't value and I don't want to see those either.

I'm not asking to ignore moderation posts, only to ignore normal posts by some mods. It would clear up ambiguity about what is a moderation post or not.

Old 10th October 2016, 12:50 AM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

There is. Official mod posts use the Cop icon:

Old 10th October 2016, 12:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is. Official mod posts use the Cop icon:
I realise that but it means I still have to see the normal posts. Being a mod does not grant infinite audio wisdom, despite some appearances to the contrary.

Old 10th October 2016, 03:55 AM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jan,
Quote:
I think it's a simple thing to implement
From what I am told, it isn`t a simple thing to implement. I have no reason to doubt this. So to the best of my knowledge, it isn`t possible the way things are right now.

Old 10th October 2016, 04:09 AM   #10
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Tromperie,
Quote:
Being a mod does not grant infinite audio wisdom, despite some appearances to the contrary.
No one has infinite audio wisdom. Audio is a subsection of electronics, which is a subsection of physics. There are many who would suspend the laws of physics for a belief in an audio effect. So there are some questions that are cut and dried. Certainties. Beyond that, it`s just a mashup of opinions and some actual experience. Moderators and members alike.

Remember one thing about moderators. We are simply normal members with (sometimes) a lot of extra work to do. But, every one of us does care about the site and it`s members. You may have a problem with a few moderators, but thankfully there aren`t very many of us around to disagree with.

As a member, I didn`t actually use my ignore list. There are times I wish it would work, but I`m stuck, with the rest of the moderating team, with seeing each and every post made by everyone. It turns out that choosing to not read posts made by other people is as easy as having a functioning ignore list. I don`t see this as a hardship, but maybe a point of argument if you want to make something out of it.

Simply don`t read posts of people you don`t agree with, but watch for the symbol. This is reserved for moderator use, so ignore the urge to use it yourself.

Most of our posts are as normal members, so when you do the the symbol, we are donning our moderator cap and doing some work. The tip of the iceberg as it turns out. Believe me when I say we`d rather be enjoying the site like everyone else.

-Chris

Closed Thread

Separating moderation posts from normal posts for moderatorsHide this!Advertise here!