REV33: Here's some snake oil for you to sink your teeth into

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cross talk

I can't remember where I have read it but I remember a well respected recording engineer back in the day purposely adding crosstalk into his recordings in the higher frequency domain. I also think he said he did this because he believed that it is one of the reasons why vinyl records sound good.

Mhm:nownow:
When I was still building those hot bottle amps there was an amplifier with a "Width control"If I remember correctly it was a flagship from "Pioneer"this thing removed crosstalk so that the stereo effect was increased and if you had a top recording and a reasonable cartridge you had two complete separation . Remember those first stereo disks? I still have organ recordings where one channel is quiet while the other was playing! James Last recordings also come to mind

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can't remember where I have read it but I remember a well respected recording engineer back in the day purposely adding crosstalk into his recordings in the higher frequency domain. I also think he said he did this because he believed that it is one of the reasons why vinyl records sound good.

Mhm:nownow:

I've dome measurements on LP xtalk and the basic LP replay system/ cartridge seldom gets above 40dB separation, so the xtalk is 'automagically' included, no purposely added xtalk in the source material needed.

Jan

Remember those first stereo disks?

Nope, I was born in the 80's. So unless you are talking about CD's it's way before my time lol
j2xgwDMBDSsnVA69OtCogRQzID4UOTOFEwAHkGJSmhPzgRIAFU7lagXmBJGuXwEwEMPlz8AaBEagAjDrBQAkcUj5iCtQwK0FSzhciBsQADs=

But I still build hot bottle amps though
EVgRCFZXWpUgTTwl6YpfQQ0ueMjQABAulhhsDJrBR0Nb0qFoYVrlBQQbh7kwEPlxK8JXrb4YQJlkAVKSFbJsZVnYAtYjTJ8kFAHgSg2FzgIfNKLzxhLJQB84gSA0Rw1MFLgCOGoEpkBrQQIOHBAhaQvqHYwGJiploMjHjZdMSGCV0OBDXqcCrJoRhYZLIY0RJPA04AKqgTocBEKwY1XJH4RWvIIQCQDAJzEAqBADAAupgQlMmQHCGYIgVL5AjBpT64icZRE6DSggEWLBTooApMEzh8Ch4QginFmwS0zUSjYQKGHBwGBu9K4emEE1KUyRH5g0XJXYBsaazCRBNpwNyAAOw==

I've dome measurements on LP xtalk and the basic LP replay system/ cartridge seldom gets above 40dB separation, so the xtalk is 'automagically' included, no purposely added xtalk in the source material needed.

Hi Jan, I should have been more clear. I know there is crosstalk in the cartridge 'automagically' but I was referring to a guy that still purposely added this in his recordings in the recording studio. So this was before it got to the recorded medium and it was just after vinyl so maybe tapes? It could have been later so it could have been a guy doing it with CD's. I can't remember. So it was a record producer I think that did this.

BTW what causes the crosstalk in the cartridge? Some sort of stray capacitance between the coils? This is why it's worse in the higher frequency domain?

This brings me back thinking about maybe the pinch effect. The needle pinch effect adds second order distortion correct? Well if you have a say single ended triode amp rich in 2H they could have some sort of cancellation effect. Same thing with speakers, there was a guy that was taking some measurements with his SE tube amp on resistive loads and then room actual total distortion from the output of his speakers, the latter was almost half I believe. So the combination of turntable, SE tube amp and speakers somehow might have less distortion than one would think and might be why some people prefer it by ear and not by measurement. Of course there is the possibility that these distortions could sum and not cancel so, well..........nevermind.

Who of you ever had quadraphonic records? Big palava but too expensive and the cartridges with TWO stylii? I remember seeing only one example. Never a disk then the quad recording also playing with one stylus. The hype from Quad hi fi for breaching of the copyright of their trade name? How will we tell everybody our age LOL!!

Last edited:
I agree that the later and top commercial were encoded but the one I handled was a ceramic model and quite larger than the normal stereo ceramics .The engineer that I worked with in 1968 showed it to me but the playing time on the disk was less than half the playing time of a standard disk He got it from overseas but he scrapped it soon after he got it for the expense was not worth the effort he said.He said "Give me rather super quality mono or stereo than this nonsense!!The Quad that I referred to was a factory manufacturing the electrostatic loudspeaker and top flight amplifiers.I was an apprentice at that time and these things had my attention.

Who of you ever had quadraphonic records? Big palava but too expensive and the cartridges with TWO stylii? I remember seeing only one example. Never a disk then the quad recording also playing with one stylus. The hype from Quad hi fi for breaching of the copyright of their trade name? How will we tell everybody our age LOL!!
No, As Bill correctly states quadro worked with one stylus. A special one with an extended frequency range to over 45 kHz, for the quadro signal was coded above 25kHz or so (forgot the exact spec)... it worked like a stereodecoder in a FM radio.

... but quad had a high frequency carrier.

As I remember it, there were a number of single-stylus quad vinyl disk technologies on the market, mostly incompatible with each other other than for playing in (usually degraded) stereo. There was SQ, QS, Stereo4, Dynaquad, and CD-4, maybe a few more. Only RCA's CD-4 (possibly the least commercially successful of them!), used a supersonic carrier.

So close, and yet...

So whatever happened to this thread kids? We were gonna open the thing and post photos. We had discovered it's a low pass filter.

Then nothing....

So what happened? Did you ever get one open? Corporate lawyers get a hold of you? Sent you a couple hundred bucks to keep quiet? :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.