Giving blood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
. . . a cardiologist diagnosed me with "atrial fibrillation" and prescribed medications that made me ineligable for blood donation. . . .

Atrial fibrillation probably means a blood thinner to prevent clot formation that can cause a stroke. . .

Yeah, it's the Xarelto blood thinner that shows up on the list of deferral medications. The metoprolol doesn't seem to be a concern.

. . . For a while the Red Cross twisted my arm quite regularly because my blood had some factor that made it especially useful for transplant surgeries and some cancer treatments, but they haven't mentioned that for several years. . . .
. . . my type of CMV negative plasma is very good for very low birth weight babies. . . .

That's the factor that caught the Red Cross' attention several years back. (I couldn't remember what it was called.) They never said whether I picked up that particular antibody at some time, but they stopped mentioning it about 15 years ago.

Dale

I gave hole blood maybe a dozen times but decided to join the Pheresis program as it gets so much more out of each donation that you make. I had about 365 Pheresis donations before they made me stop due to having a inch and a quarter long stent put into an artery feeding my heart. That was annoying (having to stop). Bone marrow is also a very worthy donation to make. Was set to fly to Winnipeg for a woman in need but she did not make it, sad.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange but true. I've tried to give blood in the USA but they would not let me donate. Why? Because I lived in England during the Mad Cow epidemic. :xeye:. Funny thing was, I was a vegan during that entire time, so not at risk at all. But rules are rules, no Mad Cow blood.

I've been giving blood since I was in the NAVY in 1971. I got a half day off for donating.

When I worked for Texas Instruments they had blood drives and I gave. When Siemens took over they continued the blood drives. I found an old Red Cross card from the 80s the other day. It was almost full. I quit using cards when they went to computers, and I have no idea how many times I've donated. I don't see that it matters.

I didn't donate for two years after I got a stint put in my LAD. After going off Plavix, I started donating again.

Next donation is Tuesday.

Cheap drunk Tuesday night, one beer.

Strange but true. I've tried to give blood in the USA but they would not let me donate. Why? Because I lived in England during the Mad Cow epidemic. :xeye:. Funny thing was, I was a vegan during that entire time, so not at risk at all. But rules are rules, no Mad Cow blood.
Those rules are based on requirements from the Federal government and I think they have almost as much force as criminal laws. The local folks are subject to some draconian penalties if they don't comply.

There's a large population of willing donors who are barred from giving blood because they were stationed in the U.K. as service members during that time. (I'm acquainted with at least two of them.) Of course the really ironic thing is that as the epidemic developed they were (like all GI's) STRONGLY encouraged to donate blood regularly.

Dale

I've never given blood. I know blood donation is prohibited after cancer, but not sure for how long . . . .
It depends on the type of cancer and how it was treated. After my wife's breast cancer she was deferred from blood donations until 2 years (as I recall) after she completed chemotherapy and radiation. I know she has to answer some extra questions about the cancer and its treatment.

Dale

There's a large population of willing donors who are barred from giving blood

In my hospital days, there were two types of meat cutters.
One tried to operate as clean as possible, but tidiness came at a time penalty. The 2nd had no time to lose, just ordered more blood from cold storage. Orthopedic surgeons were always Hannibal grade.
Which hack handled the blade, was an important item to check before entering the operating room of 6 hours open heart surgery, better to wear wellingtons for a blood bath.

All meat hackers nowadays work clean, lots of handy devices on the playground to clamp large blood vessels or shut up small ones.
In effect, demand for blood/plasma in the west has dropped by fifty percent.

According to the UK Blood Service there is no scientific basis behind the frequency of donation. It was 3 times a year here (now changed to 4 for men) which just seemed right to someone at some time and became the norm.
I and tens of thousands like me have been taking part in a 2 year study that ends very soon with a range of donation frequencies randomly assigned. I have been giving every eight weeks and done just fine - which does not surprise me as the cells have a much shorter lifespan so I'd guess you just need to get a decent amount of iron in your diet and all is well. When the analysis is, eventually, done there will be some basis - unless the conclusion is that 8 weeks is fine and they re-start the trials but looking at shorter periods.

I used to give platelets and took a very childish delight in being able to answer "How much blood did they take out" with a truthful "all of it"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.